1/72 Columbia BV-107

milktrip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A nice and cool project going on here.

However, are you kitbashing both the Fujimi and Hobby Boss kit to get to this civil version?

Now may I ask you a sneaky question? What are you going to do with those big sponsons if you aren't using them? :) I've won a Ebay Fujimi CH-46, and then the seller said it was a KV-107 boxing instead. He uploaded the wrong box photo but I thought they were the same so went on buying? Only realising lateron the KV-107 is rather different and I can't make a standard CH-46 out of it. Seeing your sponsons it would save me the effort for buying another KV kit if you might be willing to part with them? :) Not trying to push you here. If you'd like to keep them don't mind my post here, or even get it deleted, it's totaly up to you.

However looking forward to the progress in your build. I'd like to say that some civilian skycrane 107s had a vertical wall just in front of the left out cargobay doors at the back. that reference link to japanese 107s in this GB's reference thread should lead you to some photo's of what I mean...

Edit: This is what I mean:

closed cargocabin with deleted cargoramp doors, it's a japanese example however...

Greetings!

Edited by 128fiddler
added some additional info
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Milktrip,

How is your build going on? Hope you had some building time and a succes of creating the blown cockpit windows.

By the way, never mind my question above, I'm planning on building my KV once as a 107II-4 from the JGSDF in the old glossy olive paint with the giant markings. However, when I was researching for the kit, I came across a cool walkaround section on the Dutch IPMS site which holds pictures of both a CH-46 and a 107 from Columbia! Maybe you found them already but I thought I share them with you.

Hope to see an update soon!

Greetings

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates.  I had some problems with the bubble windows that ended up stalling the build.  Re-kindled the build and successfully managed to vac form two suitable bubble windows (although, I haven’t removed the masking yet, so fingers crossed they are still okay :pray:).

Since this success, I’ve primed and painted the model.  Currently working on the finishing touches of the decals.  I have returned to work today, so progress has halted for at least two weeks.  The decals are a mix of kit, spares and home brew.  This was the first-time using inkjet printed homemade decals and I’m pleased with the results (I was expecting disasters!!)  The “CH” logo on the rear tail rotors is a little pixelated and there is a slight colour run, but overall, they look good.

I’ll have to apply another small section of red pinstripe decal as a small section ripped away when removing some masking.  This should be an easy fix.

So, to summarise my to do:

• Finish applying decals and repair minor decal faults
  • shorten the rear Oleo struts to give a more rearward droop as per reference photos.
  • Fit wheels
  • Finish underside of rotors
  • Some Tamiya smoke on the engine exhausts
  • Semi Matt Klear Kote (alclad)

I took some photos during the paint and decaling stages, the final two photos show the models current status

48518093716_70676edf8d_c.jpg

48518354447_5fb3f3198a_c.jpg

48538328986_3a9688b92c_c.jpg

48538329001_38cbf51a08_c.jpg

That’s excellent info @128fiddler.  Cheers for that.  I’ve managed to find a photo online of a different Columbia BV-107 that shows a bit more of the rear and it looks as if these were open.

48543019807_be2ca2dc7f_c.jpg

thanks for looking

Aaron

• Like 3

Great to see that you have continued your build Aaron.

The work you have done is certainly up to your usual very high standard, the decals have worked out very well indeed and now you have mastered this technique there will be no stopping you when it comes to making models of subjects you like that don't have any commercially available decals available. Also good that you have sorted the window moulding, the shape looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing the masking come off.

It really is excellent to have you continue your build mate, thanks for completing it in the STGB section.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She's fantastic Aaron, I'm really glad that you finished her.

Such a great scheme and with your usual homemade extras such as the windows to make her stand out from OOTB builds.

Well done mate.

Thank you very much Craig. The bubble windows were a stumbling block, but I’m glad I persevered. A very elegant shaped helicopter, I’m glad you suggested the GB.  I now have 3 Tandem rotor helicopters complete, so perfect excuse to complete a flying banana to compliment them all 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, milktrip said:

perfect excuse to complete a flying banana to compliment them all

If you ever needed an excuse to build a flying banana, always one of my favourite looking helicopters.

Any idea what scheme you would go for?

If you do make a start then please let me know as I would love to watch it come together.

• Like 1

I have a civvie conversion set from DF hello stuff which has some nice schemes and also includes resin float skirts. New York airways and a couple of Swedish options I think?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, milktrip said:

a couple of Swedish options

I quite fancy doing a Swedish one myself at some point, they look different with with the float skirts.

I've been looking at the DF Helo stuff for a while but not bought any yet so I'm really interested to see how it performs.

• Like 1

They do look pretty cool with the skirt things, maybe a flying banana group build is in order 😀 or there’s the helicopter group build later in the year. I have a few of his decal sets and resin bits (Bell 47 floats with Luftwaffe decals 🥳 ). Currently working on a Bolkow and will be using one of his decal sets. Can’t wait! 

• Like 1

I like the thought of the Bell 47 with floats in Luftwaffe markings, certainly something a bit different.

I'm looking forward to the Helicopter GB too, still unsure what to build for it though, I have quite a few to choose from!

Which of the Bolkow helos are you building? I've got a 105 in the stash. Which markings will you be finishing it in and do you have a WIP to follow?

• Like 1

No WIPs I’m afraid. I’ve got four 105s on the go just now. One CBS Amodel kit, which is the one mentioned above, will be a nice bright orange Luftrettung version. The other three are CB versions (the shorter type with no extra window), two Amodel and one airfix. Plan is to do one in KLM colours, one in management aviation two tone red & white scheme and another in red/orange North Scottish scheme. The latter two will be home made decals. 
my favourite helicopter the 105. What kit have you got?

• Like 1