Hello everyone.. Im presenting my Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk.1. I built it using Alleycats metal wing resin conversion. It is part one of two kits built to represent defenders of Malta. The 2nd is a Mk.Vb Spitfire which will get its own RFI soon.

This Mk.1 Hurricane is V7101 flown in the defence of Malta, by Flt.Lt. George burges of 69 Squadron. I started this project in September of last year. I used this Thread,

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235043421-69-squadron-malta-hurricane/

to confirm some information.

Im quite pleased with the kit overall and will be building more. You will note two odd things about the markings. One the distinct lack of serial & the red patches on the wings. The decals for both were sadly destroyed in a desktop accident. I spilled rubbing alcohol over my desk and obliterated all the decals. I was able to make-up the roundels and flashes, but that is it. As far as i know the real plane carried no codes. If someone knows different i could attempt to add them. The red gun swatches are Tamiya tape cut to size and painted. Without further talk here is my Hurricane. 

YYIRhQA.jpg

1AgKmus.jpg

lIweAvN.jpg

8cKggW6.jpg

qM3ZwHm.jpg

KIwEYay.jpg

fRpGnXT.jpg

gIzJG9q.jpg

774CpMx.jpg

TRkjo1A.jpg

I hope this meets with everyones approval ? Questions, comments, and or jokes ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added link
  • Like 32

That looks rather splendid.

Is there a WiP? I need to get some tips for when I get round to using the Alleycat wings that I have in the stash.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much beard.

No sadly i didn't do a WIP. This along with 4 or 5 others were built as fill in kits, when i needed something to do. I only worked on it while other stuff was untouchable, due to wet glue or paint. The resin wing worked wonderfully for me. I did need to file the low parts of the cockpit framework to get it to fit. Thats probably more my fault though than the kit or alleycats parts. I will definitely get more of them when i can, as i will need at least two for B.o.B. Hurricanes. Besides that i have just finished perusing your Spitfire build.? I have taken a liking to your Mk.XI Conversion. I think i need to order that as well some day soon 

Dennis

• Like 2

Looks very good.

Another option for the red tape over the gun ports is to spray a red dope colour onto clear decal film.  You can either mask required size and spray, or just cut to size afterwards.  Latter method probably best as it avoids silvering of clear decal edges.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the intel on the Alleycat wing. I bought one of them. too. I did read somewhere that the fit of the wing to the Airfix fuselage wasn't very good, but yours looks great. So you say I will need to file/sand the bottom of Part# E1?

41916763762_e7ca9d58c5_o.jpg

46333915235_1fcf4838b1_o.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hello chris @dogsbody...  Yes when looking at that part there are two sets of vertical holes that are on the left and right sides. I trimmed my part up to the last one on each side. That gave me enough room. You might also need to trim back the area on each fuselage side, right where it is notched to fit around the landing gear bays. I sanded back until i got a good fit. In the end i had one little tiny spot right where my notch was to fill. I probably sanded back a little to aggressively. I think because the resin is thicker than the plastic. 

• Like 1

You`ve done a lovely job,..... the colour looks great too. If you enjoyed this kit then you just have to get the new Arma Hurricane,..... it is wonderful!! Glad my waffling helped a tad too.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

That's a very nice build. That blue color is interesting. I'm not used to seeing that on an RAF a/c.

Thank you. Its bosun blue, or at least as close as i can mix to it. Theres a lot of good info about the color in the link to my thread.