Hasegawa's Martin SP-5B/P5M-2S Marlin 1/72

hsr

This is my rendition of Hasegawa's Martin SP-5B/P5M-2S Marlin. This is a fairly old kit with the molds dating back to 1971 according to Scalemates. It does show its age with raised panel lines and a very sparse interior, but it went together issue free and only took 12 days start to finish. Given its age I was surprised to see that with the exception of Caracal decals there are no after market parts. I used the Caracal decals, printed by MicroScale, since the kit ones were old and yellowing. I also used a Pavla S2F cockpit interior which fit pretty well and was better then the original non interior. All together a pleasant build.

On to the pictures:

Kr6K22tU_o.jpg

icfo2T7r_o.jpg

shSwpYIW_o.jpg

thgbKCKE_o.jpg

k14kKAQg_o.jpg

eeayvSK3_o.jpg

I can't get a good picture of the cockpit, but this is the best I can do

mYqXXTzH_o.jpg

zeMlfwsX_o.jpg

Next up is the Heller EC-121 Warningstar for which I do have a boat load of after market parts.

Enjoy 

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, JWM said:

however magnification more than five times of canopy is a risky photo...

Hopefully I am a better modeler then I am a photographer

Thanks

• Like 1

Very nice job- even the magnified cockpit looks good, though Chiefy could do a better job cleaning the windows!

I finally got one of these last year, but then sold it again.  I'm still not sure I did the right thing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I finally got one of these last year, but then sold it again.  I'm still not sure I did the right thing.

It is very buildable, but it is big

Thanks

Looks cracking.

My view on model photography, especially for 1/72 kits, is snap the shot showing the model as it would be seen by a viewer in real life from about four feet (I have my reasons).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CaracalModels said:

I hope you enjoyed working with the decals.

The decals were fine; very thin with very little easily corrected silvering. 

Thanks

Excellent job on the Marlin! I have an old model I did as the Aeronavale version sitting in my garage. Regarding photographing my models, I believe the best distance is about 50 feet away, far enough to where the imperfections are invisible, as well as the model itself.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1