Whirwind from the shelf of doom

rossm

The last of three recovered from the shelf of doom is the Airfix 1/72 Whirlwind - 1970s version. Started many years ago and at least one previous attempt at finishing it ended badly so it's unloved and it shows, particularly at the wing root joints but at least it's done.

Finished as one of the 10 aircraft of 263 Squadron detached to Predannack in March 1943 to bomb railway viaducts in the Morlaix area. You can't really tell but the outer wings and rear fuselage are in Mixed Grey and the nose and inner wings in Ocean Grey where Operation Starkey markings would have been overpainted. There are some photos in the Allied Wings booklet showing a 3-tone finish (on anther aircraft with similar history) which I think shows up due to the use of a red filter when the photo was taken. Decals are mostly Modeldecal or Xtradecal from generic roundel & lettering sheets. Gentle weathering with Humbrol smoke powder and an artists silver pencil.

Pretty much from the box with bomb racks and bombs from spares (Airfix Hampden?)

_DSC4662.jpg

_DSC4663.jpg

_DSC4664.jpg

_DSC4665.jpg

• Like 31

10 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

very nice , brings back a few memories . If I recall great box art by Roy Cross

Linked from scalemates this is the same as the box top I had

145496-11185-31-pristine.jpg

• Like 1

That's a great looking Crikey.  Glad you decided to finish it. It was well worth the effort.  I always think this aircraft had more potential.  A pity it wasn't designed from the outset to have Merlins.  With a couple of Merlin 60s I suspect it would have had a phenomenal performance. 

42 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

That's a great looking Crikey.  Glad you decided to finish it. It was well worth the effort.  I always think this aircraft had more potential.  A pity it wasn't designed from the outset to have Merlins.  With a couple of Merlin 60s I suspect it would have had a phenomenal performance. 

As the Hornet later proved.

But it would probably have needed a stronger airframe to absorb the power and more fuel and then you've got a Hornet 😁

• Like 1