Warhammer Dark Elves Sorceress WIP - 28mm

Sancho Panzer

Hi All,

this is a WIP of a Warhammer Dark Elves Sorceress that I completed a while back. This figure was for display and I wanted to create a dramatic base to match the dynamic pose of the figure. I decided to construct an enchanted, gravity-defying staircase that the Sorceress had conjured up from rocks. I used pieces of cork bark threaded onto a piece of wire and super-glued the assembly together. The base was painted and shaded using washes and drybrushing.

IMG_1227

Next stage was painting - I used Vallejo acrylics with their retarder medium which allows time for blending. The skin tones were applied in thin layers to build them up. After base coating in black, I used Humbrol MetalCote for the armoured clothing (such as it is!)

IMG_1231 (Edited)

IMG_1233IMG_1235 (Edited)IMG_1241

The rune on the cloth is the symbol of a Dark Elf goddess, painted in NMM. I protected the base with kitchen roll and masking tape during the painting process as it was quite fragile.

IMG_1255IMG_1250Warhammer Dark Elf Sorceress

Pretty much finished.

Warhammer Dark Elf SorceressWarhammer Dark Elf Sorceress

Thanks for looking,

Andrew

• Like 9

Really nice work. Bearing in mind that all the photos on-screen are several times actual size, you've done a great job on the face and eyes. Would you mind sharing your recipe for the flesh tones?

regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

thanks for your kind comments - yes enlarging images of figures on screen can be a bit alarming and I always think 'I could have done that better', although it can be a good way to spot errors too . For the flesh tones I used a couple of colours from the Vallejo Face/Skin paint set, although I only used the lighter pinks in the set as I wanted the figure to look pale. I blended these with either white for highlights or a red-brown for shadows; I kept the contrasts quite narrow and the transitions smooth as I didn't want the figure to look muscular. I used four tones and I highlighted up to almost pure white. I generally pick a mid-tone for flesh and then work out from there by mixing on a palette with wells which keeps the paint wet for longer.

All the flesh painting was done using multiple layers of heavily thinned paints, gradually building up the highlights and shadows. I use Vallejo thinner medium and water and I go up to 1:3 paint:thinner or more when painting multiple layers. A drop or two of retarder and flow medium in the thinning mix also helps to get even layers and gives a slightly longer drying time. I tend to prefer doing lots of almost transparent layers rather than going for thicker layers as this gives more control - it is easier to add more layers, whereas it is pretty difficult to 'undo' a layer that is too thick. The only non-Vallejo paint was the eye-shadow which is crimson oil paint thinned with turpentine - I used this because if it didn't look right it could be easily removed with a turpentine-moist brush without disturbing the dried acrylics.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Her skin tones are really lovely. Clean is definitely the word!

I must admit I rather liked the second pic where she appears to be holding her own head - "What's happening??"

Will

Hi Will @Will Vale,

thanks - another WH figure that was a pleasure to paint. Yes, the posing of the second pic appealed to my sense of humour - the detatched, painted face just looked very odd. I'm glad you also found it funny 🙂

Cheers,

Andrew