F-4E weapons load air to air Vietnam 1972

Plumbum

I am looking at getting my after market parts to do an air to air F-4E from

Korat during the Vietnam conflict in about the 1972 time frame. Does this

sound feesible. Station 1--370 gallon tank, station 2--2 AIM 9s, station 3--

AIM 7, station 4--AIM 7, station 5--600 gallon tank, station 6--ALQ-87,

station 7--AIM 7, station 8--2 AIM 9s, station 9--370 gallon tank.  Thanks---John

VLASWS3.png

3 hours ago, Johnv said:

station 7--AIM 7, station 8--2 AIM 9s, station 9--370 gallon tank.  Thanks---John

I don't think I've seen many photos of Vietnam F-4E's with ECM in the Sparrow wells.

ECM carriage on the inboard wing pylons underneath the Sidewinders (AIM-9E or J by 1972) would seem more typical. 

Cheers,

Andre

388TFS at Korat flying F-4Es carried the same ECM pods as F-105s as they were (electronically) disguising themselves as F-105s in order to deal with the MiG threat. North Vietnam spots an F-105 flight inbound, sends MiGs to intercept but the MiGs find out they are F-4Es and mayhem follows. I believe this was the idea of Col Robin Olds and the pods were only carried for a number of missions until the North Vietnamese cottoned on to what was happening.

11 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

388TFS at Korat flying F-4Es carried the same ECM pods as F-105s as they were (electronically) disguising themselves as F-105s in order to deal with the MiG threat. North Vietnam spots an F-105 flight inbound, sends MiGs to intercept but the MiGs find out they are F-4Es and mayhem follows. I believe this was the idea of Col Robin Olds and the pods were only carried for a number of missions until the North Vietnamese cottoned on to what was happening.

You're talking about operation Bolo, that took place in january.... 1967. 

They were flying F-4C at the time, the E arriving much latter in Vietnam, in november 68.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Antoine said:

You're talking about operation Bolo, that took place in january.... 1967. 

They were flying F-4C at the time, the E arriving much latter in Vietnam, in november 68. 

Antoine,

I stand corrected.

Nigel

On 3/1/2019 at 12:12 AM, Nigel Bunker said:

Antoine,

I stand corrected.

Nigel

And I as well!

On 2/28/2019 at 6:26 AM, Hook said:

I don't think I've seen many photos of Vietnam F-4E's with ECM in the Sparrow wells.

Cheers,

Andre

I've recently bought an Italeri F-4C.D/J kit with Olds markings in it, what are my chances of finding this pod among the sprues in there? Something to check at home. :unsure:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

57 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've recently bought an Italeri F-4C.D/J kit with Olds markings in it, what are my chances of finding this pod among the sprues in there?

If it's the F-4 C/D/J Phantom II Aces set in 1/72nd: none, I'm afraid. Just fule tanks, AIM-&'s and AIM-9's.

Some nice ones can be found in the Monogram F-4C/D kit, and Hasegawa's X72-4 weapons set.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've recently bought an Italeri F-4C.D/J kit with Olds markings in it, what are my chances of finding this pod among the sprues in there? Something to check at home. :unsure:

Steve.

The real value of that kit is the decals as the kit is not that good by itself, nor the weapons from Italeri, in general talking sense

BTW yesterday I was scrounging around my own stash and find this set  Italeri USA/NATO Aircraft Arms 1/72

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-177-usa-nato-aircraft-arms--144405

The real value for this kit (for me at least) is that include rocket pods (so few btw) and the Nuclear Bombs

But in any case what you really need is to replace the Sidewinders AIM-9 all variants you can find in this kit from Hasegawa Aircraft weapons sets from I to IV specially if you looking to finish Vietnam timeframe US aircraft 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-x72-1-aircraft-weapons-i--128606

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-x72-2-aircraft-weapons-ii--246764

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-x72-3-aircraft-weapons-iii--128605

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-x72-4-aircraft-weapons-iv--241370

Here my 0.02 cents

Keep modelling

Armando

• Thanks 1

On 6 March 2019 at 4:59 AM, stevehnz said:

@Antoine thanks for the heads up on that, though I have the set anyway. Do you know of any sources for the AN/ALQ-71 other than the Monogram Phantom kit, if not, guess what I'll be looking for. :)

Steve.

Steve, you can find a pair of ALQ-71s in the Trumpeter F-105G Weasel kit. 

There was some debate as to whether the F-4 flown by Olds in January 1967 had a slick radome (fitted on the production line to late F-4Cs and early F-4Ds, alike) or the type with the blister (which was being reintroduced to house RHAWS radar warning gear). 

IIRC the Bolo pods were carried underwing, on an outboard pylon, in an asymmetric configuration (fuel drop tank on other wing).

I like the early Freedom Train/Linebacker Udorn Combat Tree F-4Ds from the Spring-early Summer of 1972, which had weird combos of fuel bags, 4 x semi-recessed AIM-7E-2 Sparrows, two AIM-4D Falcons on inner-facing L-41/42 rails on the inboard wing pylons, with an asymmetric ECM fit; ALQ-71 (X-band jammer) and a short ALQ-101 Special (SA-2 beacon jammer) underneath these pylons, one on each side. 

The only source of the L-series Falcon rails are the slightly inept ones on 1970s generation Hasegawa F-4E/EJ tooling, but the Revell/Monogram kit, at least, has a great little ALQ-87 and '101, the former great for a Korat F-4E.

Tony 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:55 PM, Johnv said:

Hi Johnv,

I wouldn't say that the load out you want wasn't possible, but unfortunately for the F-4E, but the time they were flying over NVN they were replacing F-105s in the bombing role.  More likely they would be carrying bombs and maybe a couple sparrows.  But anything was possible.

Geoff M

On 2/27/2019 at 8:55 PM, Johnv said:

VLASWS3.png

Read Palace Cobra by Capt. Ed Rasimus who flew F-4Es from Thailand

1972-72. It WAS a MIGCAP load, NOT a bombing load. He explains VERY WELL

what loads he used for what missions.---John