1/72 fine molds A7M1

Howdy, here is a 1/72 A7M1 I’ve recently completed. It was a great kit and went together nicely, only requiring a little bit of Vallejo putty after I joined the wings to the fuselage. My two year old daughter enjoys watching me model and modeling with me but while I was away from the bench she got ahold of this little plane and managed to snap the antenna off. I couldn’t find where the other half went to so it’s now just a stub haha. But anyways hope you enjoy this little build. I kind of went with a “what if” theme. I went with a prototype orange paint job but weathered it a bit with the idea that as the United States closed in on mainland Japan they employed any aircraft available, even prototypes. I’ve also included a 1/72 A6M3 I built a few months ago to show the size comparison between the two planes. 

6E4B8845-EE5D-4070-B15C-60323B197E8D

C0CBDA75-D595-4BF2-90FF-578854AD8BB1

A806ECA5-C423-4A1C-ABEA-2BCBBF12CDC4

7AB49131-43E5-405F-B342-E0F20D1D097C

63D08169-066D-428B-8A54-283873B50B05

145B0AD1-2FF6-47E3-A10D-7E9A1EF28215

1F4702D9-82E3-4A33-8602-B2C1B677EEA7

And please excuse the poor photography skills. I mostly use my iPhone for a camera and am trying to come up with a better back drop for my models haha.

• Like 29

14 minutes ago, Andwil said:

I don’t think I have ever seen a model of a Sam before.  It’s huge alongside the A6M!

AW

I ordered this kit from plazajapan.com, I think they have. 1/48 and a7m2 available as well? And that’s what I thought as well! I knew it was going to be larger but it is definitely larger than I thought it would be haha.

We have a million Melissa and Doug toys for our three year old and eighteen month old. Never realized I could repurpose them as a display base!

The A7M looks great; you're a braver man than me, modelling in the presence of your offspring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice! Not an aircraft you see very often. The side-by-side comparison with the A6M is very instructive. It's really like Hellcat vs. Wildcat, except that the Japanese lacked the resources to make the step to the new model.

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

We have a million Melissa and Doug toys for our three year old and eighteen month old. Never realized I could repurpose them as a display base!

The A7M looks great; you're a braver man than me, modelling in the presence of your offspring.

Haha I couldn’t find the nice piece of pine I have so I figured her puzzle base would work ok. And my modeling area is out in the open so she usually comes by and sits in her little chair next to me while I’m working. I’ll hand her a sanding stick and she proceeds to run around the house rubbing it on things going “chh chh”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Nice! Not an aircraft you see very often. The side-by-side comparison with the A6M is very instructive. It's really like Hellcat vs. Wildcat, except that the Japanese lacked the resources to make the step to the new model.

That and an earthquake at the end of 1944 really sealed the fate of this plane. I think I read somewhere out there on the World Wide Web that the Sam was 50% larger than the zero?  

Very nice. The orange-yellow is spot-on. A picture of the A7M1 doesn't show any antenna mast at all - so don't worry! Work on the prototype started in earnest in April 1942, but the choice of engine delayed the project which was finally completed in May 1944 using the Nakajima Homare. With this engine the big Reppu was underpowered as anticipated by Jiro Horikoshi and work moved to the A7M2 with the more powerful Mitsubishi MK9A, then came the earthquake... The A7M1 prototype with the tail code ]-A7-3 may not have seen a lot of activity.

• Like 1

Very nice model, and others have said, the side-by-side comparison with the Zero is informative.

Hmmm, available from Plaza Japan you say...

Regards,

David

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Very nice model, and others have said, the side-by-side comparison with the Zero is informative.

Hmmm, available from Plaza Japan you say...

Regards,

David

For an extremely agreeable price at that as well 😁

• Like 1

Nice work.

Had my eyes on a listing of Aoshima's very old A7M2 in 1/72 scale for a while. Seeing this wants to make me go play one of my computer games that hard a A7M  Reppu in it!

RJ

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RJBud1 said:

Nice work.

Had my eyes on a listing of Aoshima's very old A7M2 in 1/72 scale for a while. Seeing this wants to make me go play one of my computer games that hard a A7M  Reppu in it!

RJ

Haha I play this plane on war thunder! I’m. It very good at that game and play it on an Xbox so that’s even more of a handicap but it’s still a fun game to play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

Haha I play this plane on war thunder! I’m. It very good at that game and play it on an Xbox so that’s even more of a handicap but it’s still a fun game to play.

That is the game I play. I love my A7M, actually both of them

Also like my Ki-44-II OTSU 

• Like 2