Monogram F-4D 1/72 Texas ANG

This is the Monogram F-4D that, although an older kit (plastic helpfully stamped “1985”) is accurate and with some really nice detail moulded in, especially in the cockpit.  The Monogram kit features fine raised detail, and generally goes together well with the exception of the intakes that take a bit of work but nothing ridiculous.

Having read that the Monogram decals were a disaster when new (and the intervening 30+ years won’t have helped) I finished my Phantom with HiDecal decals for a Texas ANG machine in the Euro1 scheme, adding some Eduard Brassin AIM-7Es and AIM-9Js, and a SUU-23 from a Hasegawa weapon set.  I painted the gun pod in the ADC gray more often associated with the 147th Fighter Interceptor Group F-4Cs to contrast with the Euro1 Scheme, which was only worn by their F-4Ds for a relatively short period.  The HiDecal markings worked well, with good colour coverage in the tail flashes.  The only problem was that one of the tail codes disintegrated on application so substitutes were found from an old set of Modeldecal post-war RAF 12” codes; the typeface isn’t 100% accurate but a pretty good match.  The rest of the airframe markings came from an old Hasegawa sheet.

resized_2fc864fe-a59d-4e5c-8fa7-ce04cad9

resized_e6ec47fd-c19b-4deb-b446-4f2fb8e4

resized_1634c01d-f690-4841-99c1-94a38296

resized_f42f3440-4dcd-454d-8e0b-92f87b70

resized_5ada41fb-6c30-45d0-8ff4-b601b5bc

resized_384532f9-c4eb-41a7-b044-8d9f3799

resized_c2ffd96e-017a-46c0-9ce6-f9fd38ff

resized_5803b815-0489-42b5-bc5c-8d8af9e5

resized_e44ad454-fe51-4712-b9a8-a7b36d4e

resized_2df7e784-a809-4378-8140-09d2c6d9

• Like 33

Looks really nice.

I don't see myself doing a raised panel lines kit anymore. It looks nicer with engraved lines. Besides that, the raised lines are more difficult to fix after sand/puttying etc.

Cheers

• Like 1

If you want to build a kit with raised line's Monogram is the way to go their 80's kit's were superb in that respect as your fine build show's,

great finish on her!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ilan said:

Very nice! 

22 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Looks really nice.

I don't see myself doing a raised panel lines kit anymore. It looks nicer with engraved lines. Besides that, the raised lines are more difficult to fix after sand/puttying etc.

Cheers

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

If you want to build a kit with raised line's Monogram is the way to go their 80's kit's were superb in that respect as your fine build show's,

great finish on her!

14 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great-looking Phantom. I love the scheme and the raised lines really don't worry me.

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Very nice indeed. Love the contrast on the underside between the green and the weapons :yes:.

Stuart

Thanks for all your kind comments, it is really appreciated!

I know what you mean @ArmouredSprue but the Monogram F-4 is a really nice kit and, like @Alpha Delta 210 says, they raised panel lines don't really show up that badly to the naked eye, especially on a dark scheme (which is partly why I chose the Euro1 sheme)

Thanks for the comment @Courageous, that's the contrast I was going for 🙂

I'm happy with the result and it definitely made me rethink any aversion to raised panel lines

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whiskey said:

Out-freaking-standing sir! I have similar marking in 1/48 and plan to use the Monogram kit for it as well. Very nice job.

11 hours ago, Christer A said:

Very very nice!

Neat touch with the grey gun pod!

Thank you Gentlemen, most kind!  Particularly pleased with the endorsement from Austin, Texas @whiskey!

Glad you like the grey gun pod @Christer A I thought it would make a nice contrast with the Euro1 scheme and hint at the history of the unit

• Like 1