Did german submarines had flag out while submerged

Doom3r

Hi folks,

I am resuming a build of Revell Typ VIIC that spent on shelf of doom for two years without any good reason. The idea is to build it under water (possibly launching a torpedo) so I am wondering if I should leave off the flag or not.

Thanks

Normally any crew (Germans, British, Americans, etc.,) would remove the flag and anything else from outside the submarine before diving.

But in some cases, it is possible that the submarine is suddenly under attack, and the crew have no time to remove objects from the deck. Not even a coat or a cap, let along a flag which would take some time to undo.

Thus, you are free to build your model with the flag still attached while underwater. If anyone spot it and try to tell you it is a mistake, just tell them that your model diorama is showing a moment when the submarine had to dive quickly with no time to remove the flag. You could if you want to, show some coats, caps, tool box, tools, spare parts, being washed off the deck, which seem to look like the crew were doing some repairs when suddenly they're under attack, and had to leave everything else, including the flag, to get below, close hutches, and dive.

Edited by Major Eazy
Edited for spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

didn't think they raised the flag a lot when in their playgarden aka ocean. I think the flag was only attached to enter or leave the harbor, and maybe for replenishment at sea... that area was already dangerous enough without the need to look for trouble. Also keep in mind most bollards etc were also lowered at sea, not only to be more streamlined, but also for acoustic noise...

Edited by Silenoz
  • Thanks 2

Get that there would have be times when there was no time to remove the flag, but what would the flag look like underwater.

What was the material, would it soak up water.  Therefore, would it resemble a damp limp rag underwater, or would the forward motion if the sub be enough to unfurl it?

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, Silenoz said:

didn't think they raised the flag a lot when in their playgarden aka ocean. I think the flag was only attached to enter or leave the harbor, and maybe for replenishment at sea... that area was already dangerous enough without the need to look for trouble. Also keep in mind most bollards etc were also lowered at sea, not only to be more streamlined, but also for acoustic noise...

I agree with you, but the one good thing about doing model kits and dioramas, is that we do not have to be limited to making sure it had to be authentic to real life. After all, we could be creative and follow the What if...? option, or have an alternative universe option.

The OP could create a diorama of the submarine supposedly attempting to leave the harbour when suddenly and unexpected was attacked. Thus had to hurriedly dived while the bollard/aerial/etc., was still in risen position, barely had time to be lowed, and the flag still attached. Or that the bollard/aerial/pole was damaged in the attack and could not be lowered, let alone the crew wasting time removing the flag. Or even sunk in harbour while those still risen and flag still attached.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Eazy said:

The OP could create a diorama of the submarine supposedly attempting to leave the harbour when suddenly and unexpected was attacked. Thus had to hurriedly dived while the bollard/aerial/etc., was still in risen position, barely had time to be lowed, and the flag still attached. Or that the bollard/aerial/pole was damaged in the attack and could not be lowered, let alone the crew wasting time removing the flag. Or even sunk in harbour while those still risen and flag still attached. 

That would be poignant as well as accurate. The record shows that as the war went on, boats were often attacked before they'd even managed to actually reach their patrol areas. Many suffered a savage working-over while leaving harbors or estuaries.