1 72 scale U S ,W W 1scratch built railgun

bazer

Latest scratch railgun apart from wheels (that came from 00 gauge rolling stock) the model is 17 inches long, barrel is turned in aluminium.
This is a model of the only railgun built by the U S in W W 1 it is a 14 inch gun maned by navy personal five were built in total and the first arrived in France in oct 1918 ,the last shot was fired on nov 11 th that landed few seconds before eleven o clock.
have included of few pics of build, as the body is quit long I used a sandwich method of building sides, with foam middle and plastic card both sides makes for a strong unit. figures are from W D models.

DSCN6964DSCN6965DSCN6966DSCN6968DSCN6970DSCN6972DSCN6974DSCN6976DSCN6978DSCN6980DSCN6963DSCN6962DSCN6961DSCN6959

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gorby said:

Amazing job!

I thought the Germans were the only ones to use rail guns - live and learn. How did they point it anywhere other than straight ahead?

Same here Gorby especially WWI....Fantastic job as always bazer....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Same here Gorby especially WWI....Fantastic job as always bazer....

Thanks guys the Germans were a little late in producing  railguns the French had more than the Germans in w w 1 and at the start of w w 2 comendered lot of French guns for there own use at the fall of France. But they soon built some amazing guns.

It was mainly pointed by laying a curved track.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Parrahs said:

Is the "ship's wheel" looking thing at the side for elevation? Seems like quite the workout to tilt that barrel.

Hi Parrahs ,yes the wheels ( one each side ) and probably with two guys per wheel are for elevation.

"Hey, I got a great idea, we'll build these huge rail guns and send them over to France!"

"Well who is going to operate them?"

"The Navy, obviously".

Or something like that.

Another great build, bazer. Very impressive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

"Hey, I got a great idea, we'll build these huge rail guns and send them over to France!"

"Well who is going to operate them?"

"The Navy, obviously".

Or something like that.

Another great build, bazer. Very impressive.

Thanks Pete...I like it.