Eduard 1:48: Wolf Dietrich Wilcke's Bf 109F-2

Eduard's Weekend Edition Bf 109F-2 painted as Wolf Dietrich Wilcke's plane when he was Gruppenkommandeur of III/JG 53. I found a pretty good photo of the real plane, and I didn´t know if what I was looking at was a dirty airframe or a mottled one, so I decided to follow the scheme of a similar Bf 109F-2 flown by Heinz Bretnütz of II/JG 53.

The aircraft was brushpainted with Revell acrylics.

yLRP2TM.jpg

P2OW0x4.jpg

KkcMNJK.jpg

OnAxMyW.jpg

fduh6SG.jpg

• Like 14

Hi Sturmovik,

beautiful F-2. Very neat and sharp!

I am busy building a 1/72 F-2 and I did not know that a F series existed without camouflage mottle on the sides of the fuselage.

If I had known, I may have had less nightmares!

Great show!

JR

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Sturmovik,

beautiful F-2. Very neat and sharp!

I am busy building a 1/72 F-2 and I did not know that a F series existed without camouflage mottle on the sides of the fuselage.

If I had known, I may have had less nightmares!

Great show!

JR

There may be more unmottled F-2s, I believe those that were in the Channel Front in 1941 may have been like that.

“didn´t know if what I was looking at was a dirty airframe or a mottled one”

looking at the photo that pops up in Google (sorry I can’t go for books since I’m away from home at the moment), Wolf’s 109 has an overspray that pushes way up the fuselage, and gives that feeling of a light and sparse mottling. This is a personal interpretation of course.

Eduards F/G fam8ly are great kits aren’t they?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Holzhamer said:

“didn´t know if what I was looking at was a dirty airframe or a mottled one”

looking at the photo that pops up in Google (sorry I can’t go for books since I’m away from home at the moment), Wolf’s 109 has an overspray that pushes way up the fuselage, and gives that feeling of a light and sparse mottling. This is a personal interpretation of course.

Eduards F/G fam8ly are great kits aren’t they?

I noticed that too, but I thought it was just wear. There seems to have been another insignia overpainted with fresh RLM 65 and replaced by the Double Chevrons. The yellow also extended to the front of the windscreen, seems it was overpainted. However, in doubt, I followed the aircraft of Heinz Bretnütz and didn't mottle it. Read somewhere here that if you don't have a photo of the aircraft, use one of a similar one from the same unit.

I have mixed feelings about the Eduard kits, the fuel line on the cockpit interferes with the instrument panel and the joining of the fuselage, the wheel wells need to be trimmed so the upper wings can be fitted, the radiators need trimming too or the radiator intakes will slide over them. Last but not least, Eduard printed decals are too sticky and fragil

P. I'll keep going for Eduard kits though, past those issues, they're easy to build and if they come with Cartograf decals (such as their Tempest V Series 2, which is waiting for me in Madrid).

Edited by Sturmovik