Roden Sopwith Camel trainer

stevehed

• 2 weeks later...

A little spurt of progress. Been painting the main parts and then assembled the engine. Will be OOB so I’m happy enough with the kit part. The fuselage is composed of four parts which means the cockpit innards are located from the top before the upper deckings are added. I’m going to add a crew from spares so I’ll keep the instruments panels, rudder bars and columns for something that has a more open cockpit.

414162691.jpg

414162690.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 3

Nice!

I also thought about this one for the GB so I'll follow along to see how it goes together.

I'm still waiting for a delivery from the UK (from my dad) with the Windsock datafile for the DH6, so my GB build is still not started, and may not be, depending on how long it takes!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

The fuselage is the typical Roden multi part affair designed to facilitate multiple versions. Good idea except this time the forward cockpit decking is narrower than the lower fuselage. You can just see the grey line in the photos. I’m going to try and file the lower to match and run some CA into the joint. The lower wing cut and the leading edge will also need a bit of attention. Not a big problem but the upper decking is disappointing.

414175365.jpg

414175364.jpg

414175363.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard a few reports about how disappointing certain parts of Roden's 72nd scale kits can be and this one looks to be no exception Steve. How are you getting on with it?

I've been busy with other things but have managed to get the remedial work done. Filing and superglue seem to have sorted the upper decking and I've got the lower wing to fit in the cut out slot. Again just patient filing to get the wing level. No photos as I haven't re-painted yet.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

414207038.jpg

414207037.jpg

414207036.jpg

414207035.jpg

Starting to come together. Couple of scratch windscreens and painted the tricolour stripes on the rudder. Top wing fitted the old fashioned way with MK 1 eyeball.

Regards, Steve

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished and it is small. It's the same size as the single seat Camel. Here it is next to the Airfix 504K basic trainer.

414220473.jpg

414220474.jpg

Apart from the upper decking which was a simple fix it went together very well.

Regards, Steve

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...