Mirage 1/350 ORP Mazur wz.39

Fizgig

Hello folks!  Well, this is going to be my first attempt at a simple sea diorama (EEP!!), and I would appreciate any tips and techniques from you lovely people (unashamed groveling).  These kits are great value and lend themselves to improvement so out with the platicard and don the thinking cap!

Wasn't happy with the size and positioning of the round windows  (yes, watch playschool!), and hull needs detailing etc so filled in the scuttles (smarty pants) and so the adventure begins...

ORP mazur

The etch was purchased from a hobby shop in Poland at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for looking, Andy

• Like 7

Hey  Geof, ta mate!  I believe that flattery is the greatest form of Wossit!   Haven't done a dio for years so am very rusty!  (😭) Hey ho, trouble is got a 40 year old stash etc more stuff than time! Need to thin it out me thinks.

Thanks mate, Andy

Hah!  Failed to mention the obvious, the etch is for a sister ship but hey ho.  Will be a while before I get on, have a lovely chest infection to entertain me!  Coughing and detail work don't mix......😕

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!  Between being ill and my Voltaire have been neglecting my poor little ship, however have been researching stuff and looking at various people's sea dio techniques.  I was particularly impressed by the work of Chris Flodberg who is an artist and avid ship modeler.  He has provided a master class on his various techniques on model Warships.com (err, am I going to get in trouble for that mention?😰)  He shows the 'oat method' whereby he shapes dry rolled oats on a boxed in base and fixes it with large amounts of superglue. I thought I'd try a variation by mixing oats with pva into a thick 'porridge' which I pressed down with a wetted spoon to form some gentle undulations. Then I spooned watered down pva over the sea of oats.  Depending how this gets on (no doubt some shrinkage will occur) will sand and seal with gloss varnish before painting. Finally will try bow waves using cotton wool. That's the plan anyway! Have done the first stage on my test piece and will let it dry for a few days. Will let you know how it goes!😨

2019-03-13_11-09-50

Thanks for looking

Andy

Edited by Fizgig
Auto correct devil!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1