New Tool Tamiya 1/72nd Spitfire Mk1

Fatboydim

Sorry to hear that the 1/72 Tamiya Spit I is not going to happen.. not at the moment anyway, may well happen in the future.

Regarding the Eduard kit, it may be overengineered but with care it's easy to get a good result. Apart from the lower cowling I never had any fit problem with the ones I built.

Sure in terms of fit it's not on par with the Tamiya Mustang or other recent Tamiya kits but is IMHO way above the Airfix Mustang in this respect. And separating the control stick and the windscreen from the Eduard sprues does not lead to broken or damaged parts as can easily happen in the Airfix kit...

On 3/11/2019 at 9:07 AM, Tbolt said:

Just be careful with the decals as thete are some inaccuracies, have a read here http://www.aeroimageworks.com/eduard_aussie_eight_spitfire_72nd.htm

Several of the comments in this review are points that I've seen debated in some heated discussions, therefore I wouldn't want to say with certainty that all these details are 100% wrong as the reviewer says or are 100% correct.

I would also object to the inclusion in the review of links to PDF copies of the book, it's something I'd expect from a few dodgy sites in countries where there's no respect for intellectual property, not from a decal manufacturer site...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Several of the comments in this review are points that I've seen debated in some heated discussions, therefore I wouldn't want to say with certainty that all these details are 100% wrong as the reviewer says or are 100% correct.

I would also object to the inclusion in the review of links to PDF copies of the book, it's something I'd expect from a few dodgy sites in countries where there's no respect for intellectual property, not from a decal manufacturer site...

I thought it was worth pointing out. Some errors are obvious errors which are shown up by the photos in the book.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:07 AM, Tbolt said:

Just be careful with the decals as thete are some inaccuracies, have a read here http://www.aeroimageworks.com/eduard_aussie_eight_spitfire_72nd.htm

Aero Image Works has a dog in the fight, however, as some of the interpretations by Eduard and Peter Malone disagree with his findings. Additionally, he's still trying to hawk his exorbitantly expensive ($100 AUD for TWO 1/72 decal marking options) decals of rather dubious quality for Spitfire VIIIs. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Aero Image Works has a dog in the fight, however, as some of the interpretations by Eduard and Peter Malone disagree with his findings. Additionally, he's still trying to hawk his exorbitantly expensive ($100 AUD for TWO 1/72 decal marking options) decals of rather dubious quality for Spitfire VIIIs. 

True that, quite bias and not as objective as the author of the " review" would like it to be,too many "probably, slightly, I doubt, most likely, almost certainly, unlikely etc...

I know that Eduard botched many decals, and have no doubt that majority of the decal options are not 100% correct, but what source for Aussie Spits is?

Regarding Eduard 1/72nd Spitfires( and 48th ones ), my biggest and only rant is concerning two piece upper cowling, in my view made that way to facilitate Brassin single piece drop in replacement sales, I don't like resin, and such major components should be made initially in plastic.

Edited by Thomas V.

1 hour ago, Thomas V. said:

Regarding Eduard 1/72nd Spitfires( and 48th ones ), my biggest and only rant is concerning two piece upper cowling, in my view made that way to facilitate Brassin single piece drop in replacement sales, I don't like resin, and such major components should be made initially in plastic.

Oh, quite concur.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Phantome said:

I guess that's why they avoided doing a Ki-61....

... oh wait :P

Premier Japanese Model company produces model of Japanese ww2 fighter aircraft.  Not that surprising nor hard to get volume sales in your home market....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

If they had done the cowl in one piece it would have required some sort of slide mold arrangement and pushed up the price of the kit anyway, but after all the complaints maybe they will one piece it on their Mk.I/V.

I would have like to have seen the intake made separate so it's not split ( like the Airfix and Tamiya kits ) as I hate trying to get a good finish on the inside of ducts like that.

If we are talking about Eduard's Spitfires I think that their 1/72 Spitfires are worse than 1/48. I have built Eight in 48th and Nine in 72nd and parts of bigger one are crispier. In 72nd some are soapy. 

And I have always considered top cowling parts bad idea, especially in case of "rivets". I know that using slide moulding is more expensive but Spitfires have always been mainstream kits so people would buy them, even if few Quid/Bucks/Czech Crowns/Euros/Polish Zloty would have to be paid. 

But it won't be changed anyway and Eduard will earn extra for resin parts.