New Tool Tamiya 1/72nd Spitfire Mk1

Fatboydim

36 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Thanks Mike didn't know that, they seem to have stock of a few kits.

Indeed, I think the Bf109's are around £20, which is still a bit pricey for a small 1/72 kit with no extras. Very nice kits though, I still have a few left to build.

thanks

Mike

43 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Indeed, I think the Bf109's are around £20, which is still a bit pricey for a small 1/72 kit with no extras. Very nice kits though, I still have a few left to build.

thanks

Mike

Yes I have a couple of their 109's but have yet to build them. I was eyeing up the F-14, but I really shouldn't as I've got far too much to build and I just ordered another Eduard 1/72nd scale Spit from you ;) ( well at £1.50, because eBay gave me a £10 off voucher, it was hard to turn down ).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

Yes I have a couple of their 109's but have yet to build them. I was eyeing up the F-14, but I really shouldn't as I've got far too much to build and I just ordered another Eduard 1/72nd scale Spit from you ;) ( well at £1.50, because eBay gave me a £10 off voucher, it was hard to turn down ).

You can't go wrong with the Eduard Spitfires :). I see which you bought and I commend your choice, Mk VIII's were the best! How did you get that Ebay voucher? I've got a few things in my watch list I could use it on :)

thanks

Mike

5 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

You can't go wrong with the Eduard Spitfires :). I see which you bought and I commend your choice, Mk VIII's were the best! How did you get that Ebay voucher? I've got a few things in my watch list I could use it on :)

thanks

Mike

If I don't buy anything for a while they send me a £10 off voucher. Usually you have to spend at least £20, which isn't a problem, but this one had no limit on and since I have the "Aussie Eights" boxing, I've got plenty of decals for it.

Strange thing is that I never seen any Spitfire kit in 1/72 up to level as the Tamiya or Airfix P-51D kits. By some reason it's harder to make an Spitfire than an Mustang. Can this new kit change this?

/André

This is the Tamiya Spitfire Mk.1 released back in 2000. If memory serves me right, I made this model a couple of years after it was released. It's coming up for 20 years old now. I understand it has shape issues, but I think it still builds up to a very nice model. 

agLjbIf.jpg

b8b3N0E.jpg

At the time of me of me posting this, the new Spitfire Mk.1 is still only a rumour. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Sorry, but that doesn't actually count as "many".  That's a handful compared to the products of many manufacturers, both large and small scale.  I would add that there have been other Tamiya kits that you haven't mentioned - the Tojo is one you meant - but even so Tamiya have never been a prolific contributor to the 1/72 scene.

I think a lot of people in Europe and the States forget that Tamiya is very much a company focussed on their home market. If you have been to Japan you would be amazed at the high profile the company has. It is absolutely out of this world to see how present Tamiya is in public life and in high streets compared to say, Revell or Airfix, which frankly, are names only known to us anoraks here in the west.

Tamiya is not influenced at all by what sells in the west. They sell the vast majority of their products in Japan and what they sell abroad is not much more than a sideline, which is why they have virtually no presence here and let everything be handled by agents who charge us extortionate handling fees for their products. I was lucky enough to visit Japan some time ago and I was amazed at the prices their kits went for. Most of the 72nd scale kits were around 7 quid and I got the then relatively new 32nd scale spit for just over 55.

So what determines what Tamiya releases? They release what will sell well in Japan and that's a) Japanese planes b) pacific fighters and c) well known other planes. This is why the WarBirds series has a P-51D but is unlikely to ever have a B.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andre B said:

Strange thing is that I never seen any Spitfire kit in 1/72 up to level as the Tamiya or Airfix P-51D kits. By some reason it's harder to make an Spitfire than an Mustang. Can this new kit change this?

/André

Well the Eduard Spitfires are past that level but if you are talking Mk.I's ( nothing harder about producing a Mk.I than a VIII/IX ) then CMR do a very nice one. Tamiya will do this Mk.I in 1/72 and Eduard will eventually after the 1/48th scale one and I'm  sure another manufacture will do one soon, as just like other types, such as the P-51D, we seem to go ages without a decent kit then several new ones turn up!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Well the Eduard Spitfires are past that level but if you are talking Mk.I's ( nothing harder about producing a Mk.I than a VIII/IX ) then CMR do a very nice one. Tamiya will do this Mk.I in 1/72 and Eduard will eventually after the 1/48th scale one and I'm  sure another manufacture will do one soon, as just like other types, such as the P-51D, we seem to go ages without a decent kit then several new ones turn up!

I am building the eduard Spifire Mk. IXe for the moment. It's a nice kit albeit a little "overengineered" in my opinion compared to the Tamiya P-51D. And it would have been nice if eduard had made some toughts of where to attach the wing and fuselage parts to the sprue. As it is one risk to damage the fuselage parts when cutting them of the sprue.

For sure it would be interesting to se howe Tamiya has solved the enginering for their new Spitfire Mk. I...

Cheers / André

6 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Sorry to disapoint guys, I've been in touch with the Scalemates member who listed the kit, and it originates from an error in February's SAMI which quoted the new 1/48 Tamiya kit as being 1/72. I've asked for the entry to be removed.

Ah well, it did seem too good to be true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

I am building the eduard Spifire Mk. IXe for the moment. It's a nice kit albeit a little "overengineered" in my opinion compared to the Tamiya P-51D. And it would have been nice if eduard had made some toughts of where to attach the wing and fuselage parts to the sprue. As it is one risk to damage the fuselage parts when cutting them of the sprue.

For sure it would be interesting to se howe Tamiya has solved the enginering for their new Spitfire Mk. I...

Cheers / André

I'm sure sure that doesn't make it a better kit?  (After all it's still a nice build) Just that the newer kits have more detail and are more accurate ( like the Eduard Spit top cowl being done in two halves so it could be more accurate ). Tamiya have overengineer some of their more modern kits anyway and maybe some things could have been done in a better way without added expense. Anyway Eduard said their Spit Mk.I/V will be better detailed and easier to build than their Mk.IX.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I'm sure sure that doesn't make it a better kit?  (After all it's still a nice build) Just that the newer kits have more detail and are more accurate ( like the Eduard Spit top cowl being done in two halves so it could be more accurate ). Tamiya have overengineer some of their more modern kits anyway and maybe some things could have been done in a better way without added expense. Anyway Eduard said their Spit Mk.I/V will be better detailed and easier to build than their Mk.IX.

I didn't find the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire IX hard to build at all. In fact it went together quite well. The 1/72 Spitfires are a bit trickier in terms of fit but the 1/48 ones are good :)

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Sorry to disapoint guys, I've been in touch with the Scalemates member who listed the kit, and it originates from an error in February's SAMI which quoted the new 1/48 Tamiya kit as being 1/72. I've asked for the entry to be removed.

Thank you Dave, that would explain why no more information could be found. 

I apologise for the mistake to everyone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malpaso said:

wait, but what if it’s all a double triple bluff by Tamiya?

they're the ones who invented 1/35 scale when 1/32 already existed, so i gave up on expecting anything they do to make sense before i was born. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 1:16 AM, Plasto said:

Producing an accurate and high quality kit is once thing. Selling it in volume on a consistent basis is another.

In there lies the answer to why a lot of stuff isn’t done by mainstream manufacturers...

I guess that's why they avoided doing a Ki-61....

... oh wait :P