New Tool Tamiya 1/72nd Spitfire Mk1

Fatboydim

I think it could be the same squadrons as depicted in the Tamiya 1/48th Spitfire Mk1 released last year. 

As desperately needed as more sand in Sahara! Great news to have it rather than scaled down Storch or Swordfish - who needs these two at all when you could collect Spitfires (not by mark,but by the producer and within the producer by the mold variations)?  :wall:

Edited by MarkoZG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

If Tamya wanted to downscale one of their 1/48 kits they should have chosen the P51B Mustang wich is very poorly represented in 1/72 ...

Patrice

Yes some of their models they have ignored in 1/72nd, though I can't see them downscaling the P-51B now, a new tool P-51B though...

• Like 3

Aside from Airfix Mk.I, all other Mk.I/V kits on the market today have more or less big omissions, and before mentioned Airfix is entry level kit with( in my view )  poor surface representation.

Eduard covered late Merlin marks, Tamiya is going to be leap ahead of current kits, and set a benchmark for early Merlin Spits in 72nd scale.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Aside from Airfix Mk.I, all other Mk.I/V kits on the market today have more or less big omissions, and before mentioned Airfix is entry level kit with( in my view )  poor surface representation.

Eduard covered late Merlin marks, Tamiya is going to be leap ahead of current kits, and set a benchmark for early Merlin Spits in 72nd scale.

Should be good. I haven't bought the 1/48th scale kit as I have the Airfix kit, but I'll probably get one of these 1/72nd scale ones. It will be interesting to see how the Eduard Mk.I/V compares as they are bound to do it in 1/72nd scale also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas V. said:

Even the Airfix Mk.I kit is far from perfect, IMHO the representation of the wing-fuselage fairing is pretty poor.

I know it may sound strange with the amount of Spitfire kits already on the market, but this new Tamiya offering may finally give us an accurate and well detailed Mk.I...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

I think Tamiya see this as a big selling kit. I believe their new 1/48th Spitfire has sold very well being unavailable both at Hannants & Wonderland Models. 
I think this new 1/72 Spitfire will also be a big selling kit.

It's a Tamiya kit - it'll sell regardless!;)

What I'm most interested in is what they'll do next. I'm expecting them to do the Mk V, that's almost a dead cert, but will it be the Vb or Vc? I'm expecting the former as it replaces their existing kit but the Vc would be more useful!

Mike.

• Like 4

Yes , on paper , there are many mk.1 kits.

But have you seen them ? the airfix one , considered best of the lot , is an abomination compared to anything tamiya has in 72nd scale. Just compare the panel lines on tamiya kits to other manufacturers - that alone is reason enough to justify this. And then cockpit detail in 72nd scale that will put resin aftermarket out of business . 

Compare the 72nd scale Tamiya Zero with the airfix kit .  The difference can be massive .

Edited by Basuroy
  • Like 1

In other words, Tamiya will do the same thing in 1/72 that they did in 1/48 - replace their own earlier Mk.I with a new one. Presumably the new one will be more accurate, and have the same new landing gear design that they are already doing on the 109 in both scales.

5 hours ago, MikeR said:

It's a Tamiya kit - it'll sell regardless!;)

What I'm most interested in is what they'll do next. I'm expecting them to do the Mk V, that's almost a dead cert, but will it be the Vb or Vc? I'm expecting the former as it replaces their existing kit but the Vc would be more useful!

Mike.

It'll be a Vb. Every manufacturer seems to do the Vb because they know it will sell. But so many people have Vb's already I bet a Vc would sell better at this point.

• Like 4

Funny how the Airfix Mk.I was held in such high esteem before and now that a newer kit is coming it's suddenly crap. Modellers are never satisfied I suppose :P

I built the Airfix and Tamiya kits in parallel a few years back and personally I thought the Tamiya was miles better. Supposedly it's not entirely accurate but I don't see it and the surface detail was light years ahead of the Airfix kit.

I can hardly imagine how nice the new kit will be. Best of all, perhaps a lot of people will get rid of their old Tamiya kits I can snap some up at decent prices :D

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Even the Airfix Mk.I kit is far from perfect, IMHO the representation of the wing-fuselage fairing is pretty poor.

I know it may sound strange with the amount of Spitfire kits already on the market, but this new Tamiya offering may finally give us an accurate and well detailed Mk.I...

That is true, and way too thick canopy is another niggle, but unfortunately its still the best kit of Mk.I, while I am not so content with Tamiya's 1/48 kit due to lack of rivets, aside that, for me its superb representation of Mk.I, and hoped that we would see 32nd kit ahead of 72nd one.

While Eduard produced truly superlative Mk.IX-XVI in both scales, for some reason 72nd ones don't snap together as their 48th scale kit, would be interesting if Tamiya issued Mk.IX in 72, but they better make Vc before any other, cursed subtype in any scale.

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GrimReaper09 said:

I’ll be interested to see what Sqns are depicted on the release. 

DWoK or DWoO from the 610th Squadron in the Battle of Britain will be obviously there.

Edited by Sturmovik

11 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Am I missing something here?  What's wrong with their current Mk1 kit?

The fuselage has some shape issues including shortness from the firewall back, the wing has some shape issues and windscreen has the lower framework at least twice as wide as it should be. This all adds up to a slightly off looking Spit which is more pronounced in the smaller scale.

Or as Tamiya see it, their current Spitfire sales have dropped right off and they want to make money ;)

• Like 1

Just wonder why an new and accurate P-51B/C in 1/72 (compared to the Spitfire Mk. I/II/Vb or c)  doesn't have any interest among the big producers as Tamiya, Airfix, Revell or may I say eduard? 

Could the P-51B/C be the next big step forward for Arma Hobby? They seem to have found the way to produce accurate and high quality kits up to or even better than Tamiya standards.

/André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Producing an accurate and high quality kit is once thing. Selling it in volume on a consistent basis is another.

In there lies the answer to why a lot of stuff isn’t done by mainstream manufacturers...

Well...

These days the market have changed. Potential buyers knew what they want. And the market isn't as big as it was compared to 20 or 30 years Ago. Builders are older and want an higher level of quality. Reviews are seen on Internet long before the kits are available i shops.

It's a lot harder today for an seller to sell an inaccurate Revell, Heller, Academy or Italeri 1/72 P-51D kit compared to the P-51D from Hasegawa, Tamiya and Airfix...

• Like 2