All at Sea with the faeries - Kaman Seasprite

Andwil

Thanks @Terry1954 and @Dermo245 for your kind words, I’ve been pushing myself on this build in an effort to expand my skills.  I just hope I don’t stuff it up with the painting!  Probably won’t get any time on it today as it’s our son’s graduation (Masters Degree) which will involve a celebratory lunch.

AW

• Like 4

Well we had a great day.  First time I’ve really experienced that “bursting with pride” emotion, real lump in the throat stuff.

Flu vaccination tomorrow so may not feel like much modelling, but hopefully a full day on Wednesday.

AW

• Like 1

I managed to find a bit of time this afternoon but as it has got quite warm again (32C today) i decided against spraying, so contented myself with removing the masking from the tail band and this is where we are at:

46705033415_2084ab376a_b.jpg

Very pleased with that.  A little touching up has been done around the exhausts since the photo was taken.  What the photo doesn't show is that in unmasking the rear fuselage I managed to break off the port tail plane, this I think I will leave off until the model is completed.

I'm hoping to have this finished before I leave for a 6 week overseas trip (including the Cosford airshow) in just under a fortnight, but by the same token I don't want to rush things and mess it up.  The next jobs to be done are the rotor blades and head.

Thanks for looking

AW

• Like 4

Rotor blades,  upper surface on the left, lower on the right:                  

32693290767_d24417fb3c_b.jpg

Tail rotor:

32693290507_20a67287f2_b.jpg

Fuselage unmasked, some minor details painted, ready for decals:

47581439022_dc2c0283f5_b.jpg47634235191_3bec782b36_b.jpg46718670685_ff45d61e71_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 6

Looks pretty dang sweet! Love the SH-2F. Wish I could get to fly one once!!

I have the KH variations, and I did build 2 of the Airfix iterations over 20 years ago. My plans is to build the one that had Jimmy Stewart in it in "Airport '77" from HSL-31. and perhaps one more...

Cheers

H.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decals on:

46941469454_9c61d9e419_b.jpg46749844785_dda4c48880_b.jpg

I was worried about how these would go being very old and they proved to be a bit difficult, taking a very long time to release from the backing paper despite using quite warm water.  They also proved difficult to settle and were stiff yet soft at the same time with a tendency to wrinkle at the slightest touch.  The frame around the sonar buoys was not provided by Fujimi but is quite prominent in many photos of Seasprites, so I made my own by painting red stripes on some spare white decal and cutting very thin strips to make up the frame.  I'll let these dry and settle properly before sealing with a clear coat.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4

Other than a bit of final touching up, I'm calling this done, RFI to follow.

47693904441_0358c0e975_b.jpg32750672227_716cd25826_b.jpg

This was an enjoyable build, I tried a few things that I had not attempted before and while not up to the same standard as some of the skilled modellers on here I am pleased with the result.  Best of all it was a lot of fun!  I don't think it will be my last helicopter.

Thanks to those who posted encouraging comments and thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7