All at Sea with the faeries - Kaman Seasprite

Andwil

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Well done AW !

Very convincing interior !!

Sincerely.

CC

40 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good And, that interior is a beaut.

Steve.

Thanks guys, that’s very kind of you.

AW

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I knew a Steve McCrorie in Riyadh around 15 years ago. Avid modeller, possibly the same bloke.

Must be Pete, he gave me the info freely. However, the info is on a stiffy or two! Whether I can recover it remains... Postmark on the package is 07-Jan-00!

Colin

• Like 1

Cockpit painting completed:

32512119007_3f1bc8487f_b.jpg

I don't know whether the stretcher seat was fitted to all Seasprites but added one as it fills an empty space in the rear cabin.

Seats painted and belts added from wine bottle foil:

32512118997_834ff52320_b.jpg

Pilot's overhead panel:

47400957292_f2ec7211f0_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

AW

• Like 7

Further progress on the Seasprite today.  Seats and IP attached:

47476916331_a8b43ee4a2_b.jpg47476917081_b4dccb62eb_b.jpg46561660935_f17f829c61_b.jpg

Interior dry fitted to port fuselage half:

47476917591_fdcffc364b_b.jpg

and glued into the starboard half:

32535026327_c64568787e_b.jpg

Cabin roof attached and fuselage closed up:

46561661935_3316d71788_b.jpg

Of course the port side cabin window, the only one that has to be fitted from the inside popped out necessitating a careful and fiddly re-fixing.

I then turned my attention to the rotor head, which as provided is a little two-dimensional:

46561662655_1eeed1b239_b.jpg

So I ground off the top moulded detail with the Dremel clone and knocked up some detail which should give the rotor head more of a three dimensional look:

46561658875_bb15a41804_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 8

On 3/19/2019 at 8:23 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I knew a Steve McCrorie in Riyadh around 15 years ago. Avid modeller, possibly the same bloke.

Ok, guys after spend the most of yesterday cleaning and re-jigging my workspace/studion/workshop. I mamaged to locate the Seasprite G box. Guess what, it had changed colour and size!!! Wonder how that happens?

So, as promissed. images of the differences between the F and the G models/versions. The G model had the new forward extension to the doghouse, as mentioned above. This was to accomodate the new engines, which drive out through the front of the engine. the main gearbox I presume was turned through 180 degrees to accomodate this. There being a 12 inch (can't confirm, I scaled it).

So top is the G and lower fus half is the F, it's the very old but still good Airfix kit. The Fujimi kit is a tad/over under scale.

IMG_4418crre_zpsgnnxwvst.jpg

This image shows the work as it was when I packed the box away, some five years ago. Shame on me!!!

IMG_4420crre_zpsxmgmhbt8.jpg

Any questions you have i'll gladly answer, if I can.

I have a pile of slides I was given by Lennart Lundh, someone in the US once asked if I would part with them. My intention was to produce a Squadron Signal Walkround book. Wel!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Loving what you've done here on that interior AW! Always had a quixotic soft spot for this helicopter and looking forwards immensely to seeing it flower here. :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello AW !!

More of the good job on here !!

I see the stretcher in the F version exposed in a museum...

That make not much sense to me but who know...

Congratulations my friend !!:partytime:

6 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Ok, guys after spend the most of yesterday cleaning and re-jigging my workspace/studion/workshop. I mamaged to locate the Seasprite G box. Guess what, it had changed colour and size!!! Wonder how that happens?

So, as promissed. images of the differences between the F and the G models/versions. The G model had the new forward extension to the doghouse, as mentioned above. This was to accomodate the new engines, which drive out through the front of the engine. the main gearbox I presume was turned through 180 degrees to accomodate this. There being a 12 inch (can't confirm, I scaled it).

Any questions you have i'll gladly answer, if I can.

I have a pile of slides I was given by Lennart Lundh, someone in the US once asked if I would part with them. My intention was to produce a Squadron Signal Walkround book. Wel!!!

Thank you Colin !

Helpfull pics !!

I bought some Miliput for mine... And some figures too...

Now, if you have some slides of the early machines...

Single engined SAR ones :whistle:

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

At risk of hijacking @Andwil's thread, some nice work going on here, a couple of links to photos of the TopGun resin SH-2G conversion, a pity there are not more captions but any photos with rivets are the Airfix kit & the one with the extensive white card mods to the doghouse are the Airfix kit too. On Facebook & on 72news, the same photos on both, more on the Facebook link but not everybody can get FB links apparently. I still haven't worked out the disparity in the rotor hub placings between the two kits.

Steve.

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Loving what you've done here on that interior AW! Always had a quixotic soft spot for this helicopter and looking forwards immensely to seeing it flower here. :clap2:

Thank you Tony, while not in the same league as your amazing interiors, I am quite pleased with how it has turned out.

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

More of the good job on here !!

Thanks CC glad you are enjoying it,

Here's a couple more shots showing the cabin in situ:

46575623785_097dcfec60_b.jpg33614240018_3f278a8257_b.jpg

The nose of the Seasprite has three very prominent lights, two fixed and angled down and to the sides and one that can be lowered to shine directly forward.  None of these lights has been been provided by Fujimi and I felt that I just had to try and add them.  After giving the matter some thought I hit on the idea of using scrap clear sprue for the lenses.  Appropriate sized holes were drilled and lengths of clear sprue, actually sprue gates, were cut to fit and fixed in.  Small pieces of wine bottle foil were glued on the inside of the nose, silver side out, as backing for the lights:

33614240528_f63e0f0380_b.jpg

Quite chuffed with how they have turned out.  The two fixed lights have collars around the lens, I am not sure how I can cut thin rings small enough for this purpose so might have to leave them off.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 10

On 3/28/2019 at 9:01 PM, stevehnz said:

couple of links to photos of the TopGun resin SH-2G conversion, a pity there are not more captions but any photos with rivets are the Airfix kit & the one with the extensive white card mods to the doghouse are the Airfix kit too.

The other one is Fujimi. Convrsion is dedicated to Fujimi kit - to covert Airfix you have to follow suggestions on the Tpgun page. Note engine is shorter in Airfix coversion (can be seen here) so it must be cut in the middle and glued as Airfix kit is smaller. Topgun also made some other nice stuff dedicated to G - long fuel tanks, MU90 and landing undercarriage, but he's not selling it...

Nice :). My youth has many aviation memories and one was arriving in Naples on a school cruise. As we disembarked a Seasprite (151309, I think) landed on a helipad beside us! :). A great purposeful machine that looks as tough as old boots :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Slow progress with the Seasprite as I have had limited bench time this week.  Anyway, the nose and intakes are on and today I added the undercarriage sponsons, which were a pain as Fujimi provide no location points and the instructions are vague in this area.  I ended up following photos of the real thing to get the parts in the right place.  Fortunately I noticed that the rear part of the sponsons and u/c doors were usually taken off operational Seasprites so I was able to dispense with those parts.  A couple of underside antennae were also added.

46604912715_a2abcfa5b6_b.jpg47520385321_d1a55edf96_b.jpg46796576324_b79af35793_b.jpg

Filling, sanding and polishing out scratches and glue fingerprints to follow before any of the sticky out parts are added.

Thanks for looking

AW

• Like 4

Hi all, latest update on the Seasprite:

Overhead console attached and cockpit roof and windscreen fitted:

46625156365_a3bd2d3cdc_b.jpg

I scratched a pitot to replace the rather pathetic one provided by Fujimi and also added two small antennae under the nose:

47487800522_6d447afdf7_b.jpg47487800582_42c31af8dc_b.jpg

Looking at the photos I noticed a couple of issues.  The pitot looks rather large and chunky so it will be filed down once the glue has cured; and the cockpit top looks a bit crooked, this has since been carefully taken off and reattached at the correct alignment.  I'll still need to blend in the windscreen as there are a couple of small gaps.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4

Further progress over the last couple of days.  The electrical cables that rum from the rear of the weapons carriers to the fuselage were made with copper wire stripped from some old cables:

47562063581_cc5b7db4dd_b.jpg

On 4/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, TheBaron said:

Bring it on! :clap2:

As  you wish, Stylynrez sprayed on today:

46846062374_b07dc81324_b.jpg33693105238_0cf40a4274_b.jpg

The primer has shown up a couple of areas that need a bit of further work, including a couple of tiny dimples at the front of the engine hump that I hadn't even noticed on the naked plastic (fnaar).

Thanks for looking

AW

• Like 7

Onto the painting stage.  Earlier this year I acquired my first airbrush and I decided that the first few models I built would have relatively straight forward colour schemes while I got to grips with airbrushing.  Other than a couple of old kits which I have been using as practice mules, this Seasprite is my first airbrushed model.  In fact the reason I chose it originally was that it was basically one colour.  Well one thing led to another and I decided that I did not fancy using the decals provided for the yellow fuselage band and yellow/red striped tailplanes.  In a fit of hubris I decided to spray them on.  So first sprayed white as a base, then followed with the yellow:

47524147982_33bb047356_b.jpg

So far so good.  Then I masked for the red and this is where I ran into trouble.  Firstly my masking wasn't as good as it could have been, then I made the red to thin and sprayed too wet, with the result that there was quite a bit of bleeding onto the yellow (those of a sensitive disposition should look away now):

46880423144_091d7e44de_b.jpg

The underside is even worse.  Rookie error that I will need to rectify. Lesson learnt. 

I also sprayed the anti-glare on the nose, aluminium intakes and burnt iron for the exhaust.  All this has now been masked and the engine grey sprayed:

47604625271_203590b0ac_b.jpg

We'll see how this turns out.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4