All at Sea with the faeries - Kaman Seasprite

Andwil

Having recently purchased an airbrush and having sacrificed a couple of old kits as training mules I decided to take a break from my usual subjects and do a little stash reduction, with the aim of getting some further practice.  Looking through the stash my eye fell upon this which has lain at the back of the cupboard for years:

33316987968_9b0aa5dc6a_b.jpg

Sprue shots:

32250471297_46627ec000_b.jpg40227612533_7d68639c0a_b.jpg

The interior is, well, sparse:

32250462797_2770d4e6a1_b.jpg

So inspired by the many superb builds on here I decided to have a go at putting some detail into the cabin.  A look around the interwebs proved frustrating, there are many images of Seasprite interiors but most of them are SH-2G Super Seasprites and this is a SH-2F.  Additionally there seems to be a wide range of equipment fits.  Looking at images of other builds on various sites, no two are the same.  So as an exercise in scratching, most of what I will put in will be conjectural based on what I have seen.  So to begin I have cut off the starboard door so I can have it open.  The door will need either thinning or replacing with plasticard to enable it to be attached in the open position:

40227611943_97633aeb55_b.jpg

Cabin floor extended and a rear bulkhead fitted (this will be trimmed to the correct height later):

33316986568_6f0fb576da_b.jpg

That's all for now, more will follow after I get back from the Avalon Airshow and a week bushwalking in the (Victorian) Grampians.  Comments, jokes, criticisms and gratuitous advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

AW

• Like 12

well Well Well !!

Another Seasprite !! Glad to see it AW

Sorry but every time I write AW I think of Antartic Weapons….. I think that there is no cure for me...:tumble:

So, I look for pics of the ASW bay of the -F Seasprite for my builds !!

Seemingly, there was no more in the 1/72 from Fujimi than in my 2 1/48 ones….

May I follow on ?? I will no longer say that I'll try to behave...

So, if you Don't mind it, I seat at the bar, searching for Seasprites pics in trying not to make too beersprites

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

So, if you Don't mind it, I seat at the bar, searching for Seasprites pics in trying not to make too beersprites

Don't spend much time at the bar, you have your own Seasprite to get on with :whip:.

Stuart

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looks interesting, I'll take a pew.

Stuart

Welcome aboard Stuart.

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

If of any interest for you

CC

Thanks CC.  With the walk around photos and the instruction sheets I should be able to knock up something, if not 100% accurate then at least representative of a Seasprite interior.

AW

Quick update.  Found time today to add a little bit more to the Seasprite:

46320336025_d7dd80ec0e_b.jpg46320335985_430c632cc7_b.jpg

Looks a bit rough in the photos but should be OK after a bit of a sand and smoothing, which will have to wait until next week.  Hit the road tomorrow.  Avalon should be fun with 39C forecast for Saturday ☀️

AW

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my trip away and have done some more work on the Seasprite.  The rather spartan cockpit got some detail, mostly generic to make it look busy:

47366839891_c2724d1d9b_b.jpg

A strip of 10 thou plasticard was added to the central console with some knobs made from tiny slices of thin rod.  Even smaller switches were simulated by gently pressing from behind with the tip of a compass point for an embossed effect.  In reality there are many more switches but in 1/72 they are too small to replicate accurately so I have gone for a representation.

32425057757_fc8f647a40_b.jpg

Some structure added to the seats with fine rod and filed down until nearly flush:

47366839631_eecf001068_b.jpg

Time has also been spent removing ejector pins from inside the undercarriage doors and wells and thinning the starboard door so it can be posed open.

Next job will be to fabricate an overhead console and when the Evergreen square tubing I have ordered is delivered to start on the equipment in the rear cabin.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 9

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good, I did lot of work trying to turn the Airfix kit into a G model.

I can post pics if you or anyone else is interested?

Colin

Hi Colin,

I am interested :) 

Did the same years ago but my model was... 'captured' by a seasprite pilot.

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Yes please Colin, I've the Airfix kit plus a Polish produced resin conversion to do a Kiwi -2G, it'll need all the help it can get I reckon. I'm getting some good ideas from this build too, especially now that @Andwil has got back from his walkabout. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Yes please Colin, I've the Airfix kit plus a Polish produced resin conversion to do a Kiwi -2G, it'll need all the help it can get I reckon. I'm getting some good ideas from this build too, especially now that @Andwil has got back from his walkabout. ;)

Steve.

Hi Steve, Will do but it will have to be next week, I'm packing for a trip to Cape Town for their annual model contest. Main problem with the conversion was sorting out the doghouse extension. When Kaman fitted the new engines, they drove out of the front, which necessitated trurning the MRH GB through 180 degrees (or designing a new GB). This needed a twelve inch extention to the front of the doghouse, took me a long time to find it! Something Kitty Hawk didn't find when they kitted the F (E) Model from the G!!! You'll notice the doghouse on the  G model covers the cabin roof glazing. I've got lots of walkround pics, one of your countrymen sent me years ago.

Colin

• Like 3

Thanks Colin, that would be great. Some where on a hard drive/disk/stick, I've got some photos from Facebook of some mods to both Fujimi & Airfix kit to utilise the conversion set I have & your description of modifying the doghouse rings a bell. I should try some digging too.

Steve.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Please do, I’d love to see them.

AW

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Just had a quick look at the -2G album, blooming brilliant, some excellent references there indeed. I'm on my phone just now. I'll be book marking them onto my PC at first opportunity.

Steve.

Agree, brilliant images. makes me want to start the project all over...

Just got my camera back today, may try and do some pics of the work I did tonight

Colin

I;ve just found the original box of stiffies which cam froma a Steve McCrorie in NZ. Postmarked jan-2000. I used what I could at the time but in the intervening years, I got interested in the G model, hence my conversion work. Something got in the way and it stalled. So apologies for that at , itwould have made a great conversion/whole kit.

Apologies for the high-jack.

Pics to follow.

Colin

Thanks @CharlieNZ those pics are fantastic and very helpful.

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Apologies for the high-jack.

No need to apologise, look forward to seeing your work.

AW

On 3/14/2019 at 11:53 PM, Andwil said:

Thanks @CharlieNZ those pics are fantastic and very helpful.

No need to apologise, look forward to seeing your work.

AW

I just returned form a weekend in Cape Town. Attending the IPMS SA Cape Peninsula Model of the Year contest *(check out their FB page for pics and results). I need to dig out the box, which contains the G model parts, at present it is evading me!!! I will find it, have no fear.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some more progress today after a few days away from the bench, including a full day of grape picking (grenache) in my Brother in Law's vineyard.

A few more bits added to the cockpit area and inspired by @DMC's build, a sonor-buoy cabinet and an equipment rack.  Also knocked up the observers station.

40452364523_590856c4ba_b.jpg46694785564_edf6d70257_b.jpg47417946611_e4cc1d0f7b_b.jpg47417945861_5a18c683bb_b.jpg40452362203_aa7bd25775_b.jpg

Looking at the photos I am not really happy with the sonor buoy cabinet and may make another one.  A few more things to add/finish off and the interior will be ready for primer.  I want to have a go at making the sound proofing for the sidewalls and bulkheads using foil rubbed over a sieve to emboss the quilting pattern.

I enjoying this project greatly and trying and learning some new skills, which is my main aim for this build.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

inspired by @DMC's build,

Hello AW,

Nice work!  I have a look whenever this thread pops up as the Sea Sprite is my favourite helo.  Pleased to read that my work has inspired anyone as I never seemed to be able to get to the paint and decal stage in a build.  I think it was the LG on this one that stopped me.  As you know, by the time the -2G came around they had dispensed with the covers and I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to go about replacing the kit ones that have the covers moulded on.  Anyway, while I was mulling it over my wandering attention span wandered over to another build and that was the end of that.  

I still I’ll have the 1/48 Matchbox kit and I think they captured the look of it very well, even if it is a bit “smooth”. Perfect for a little scratch building.

Sending you a pm in a bit regarding the -2G.

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 2

Primer sprayed on the internals:

46702346204_5cc17e07ea_b.jpg46702346154_ea46b70070_b.jpg

Happy with that and pleased with how the soundproofing has turned out.  I've decided to leave the sonar buoy cabinet as is, as a dry fit showed that it will be hardly visible once the fuselage is closed up.

Thanks for looking

AW

• Like 8