This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Homebee

1/48 - Yakovlev Yak-7b by Mars Models - 3D renders

52 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Not the right wingtips for a 9.

I'm no Yak expert, but didn't the Yak-9U and  9P use the same style of rounded wingtip as the Yak-7? So it could be either. Anyway the render is very basic at the moment.

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

I'm no Yak expert, but didn't the Yak-9U and  9P use the same style of rounded wingtip as the Yak-7? So it could be either. Anyway the render is very basic at the moment.

Seems I'm no Yak expert either (good eye, Graham!), but the -9U and -9P had wingtips that were closer in appearance to the -9D than the -7, slightly more rounded-off than the -9D, but not as pointy-rounded as the -7. But the -9U and -9P didn't have the oil cooler intake/housing under the nose. As you say, the render is very basic at the moment, but it's a pleasant enough guessing game given the rarity of the subject around here! So, until we see more detail, it appears to be a late Yak-7.

John

8 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Seems I'm no Yak expert either (good eye, Graham!), but the -9U and -9P had wingtips that were closer in appearance to the -9D than the -7, slightly more rounded-off than the -9D, but not as pointy-rounded as the -7. But the -9U and -9P didn't have the oil cooler intake/housing under the nose. As you say, the render is very basic at the moment, but it's a pleasant enough guessing game given the rarity of the subject around here! So, until we see more detail, it appears to be a late Yak-7.

John

That's true. The Yak-7D though had a new wing with a more angular wingtip, which maybe the same as the standard Yak-9 wingtip, I don't know.

Anyway if it is a Yak-7DI, I can't see them modelling essentially the Yak-9 prototype,  without doing a Yak-9, like Ark Models did though. Let's hope they know their Yak's and we get plenty of accurate versions.

39 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

without doing a Yak-9, like Ark Models did though

I think the Ark kit were just reboxes of the ICM kit.

ICM did/do various Yak 7 and 9's,  but not very well.     There is the Modelsvit kit, which is very good, but will only build a later Yak-9 (with the further back cockpit) 

The Yak-9U and P are post war and while looking similar, are metal skinned

there is some information here

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/yak179/yaks-matvienko/yaks-matvienko.htm

though the kit reviews are not the best, the detail of the airframes are handy

groupgraphicsmall.gif

note how the canopy moves back 400mm in the lower two

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I think the Ark kit were just reboxes of the ICM kit.

ICM did/do various Yak 7 and 9's,  but not very well.     There is the Modelsvit kit, which is very good, but will only build a later Yak-9 (with the further back cockpit) 

The Yak-9U and P are post war and while looking similar, are metal skinned

there is some information here

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/yak179/yaks-matvienko/yaks-matvienko.htm

though the kit reviews are not the best, the detail of the airframes are handy

note how the canopy moves back 400mm in the lower two

Yes I forgot that ICM also boxed the kit as a Yak-7DI. I've got an ICM boxing of the earlier Yak-7 but haven't got the will to try and fix everything, I was hoping a newer kit would appear. 

The Vector Yak-9 fuselage for the Modelsvit DD kit looks nice but works out a bit expensive on top of the kit price, so hopefully we get a good 9 here, though I haven't heard anything about their LaGG-3 since this post last May.

Hmmm...wonder when this will see the light of day. The MiG-9 has been in the CAD stage for ages, and is still not released...

Jon

The MiG-9 would be a very welcomed kit. The first jet fighter of the PLAAF and participated in the Korean War according to a few reports of “straight winged” Migs.

Apart from the general "Yay, it's a new Yak in 1/48 scale" feeling, I'm not overly impressed by both the news and the preview shown.

Where is the LaGG?

On the other hand, the quality seen in the test build of Mars Models KOR-2 is stunning. We'll see.

@Tbolt

Vector also makes a very nice, albeit hard to get Yak-7A/B conversion. Piece of art.

Vedran

2 hours ago, Tali said:

it's Yak-7B in 1/48 as i know...

Forgot about the 7B with the teardrop canopy, I always think if the razorback when I hear 7B. My memory us getting bad... 

2 hours ago, B.sin said:

How about a 1/48th scale Yak-141/41 Freestyle!

How about no? 😂

It never rains but it pours 😀just when I got the Vector -7B conversion, new kits get announced.

Oh well...

1 hour ago, dragonlanceHR said:

How about no? 😂

It never rains but it pours 😀just when I got the Vector -7B conversion, new kits get announced.

Oh well...

How about,  "you never know"!😁

Edited by B.sin