Dragon M48A3.

31 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

I meant the join between the upper and lower halves along below the rollers, and a little vertical join in front of the sprockets where the hull narrows.  And around the nose.  On the real thing the main hull was a single-piece casting so there would be no visible joins there.  Any casting lines from the mould joins would be ground off reasonably smoothly.  But yes, mud might hide it.

Ah ok, I get you now.  I think mud is definitely the answer, maybe not everyone's but it's mine on this build its all a bit crowded under there now and I'm not the most delicate with my fat fingers 😂

Ok so to get this build upto the present day, here is what happened with the painting.  I was a little unsure about the colour, I wanted to not pre-shade but use some colour modulation so I chose a darker green to start with.  It looks even darker on the photos:

M48a3

Turret

M48a3

And hull

M48a3

Everything together with a dark and medium coat on. I used Tamiya XF-74 olive drab and the second coat was lightened with XF-57 buff.  That's where I'm at right now just deciding on the colour and how to apply the last, lighter coat.

I ordered new decals from star decals, they look pretty good:

M48a3

And I started on the crew figures, another first:

M48a3M48a3M48a3

Yes I know he has his shirt sleeve ripped off but I kind of like it.

M48a3

They all need some detailing and a wash, oh and some eyes which I'm a bit concerned about.

That's it for now all up to date with this build.

• Like 4

On 04/03/2019 at 21:32, Tommygunn1972 said:

They all need some detailing and a wash, oh and some eyes which I'm a bit concerned about.

In case you're interested, Archer do a set of eyeball decal.

John. 

Ok had a bit of time yesterday while the wifey was at work.  However, too much time was spent trying to paint 1/35 eyes so the archer set of eyeballs is on order!

I managed to get last coat on the tank and do some detailing.

IMG_20190310_090107

Knocked the track guard off so will need to look at that or could it be battle damage?

IMG_20190310_113118

Bloody eyes lol. The standing figure is almost ready for a clear coat and wash, just got to sort the eyes.  I know he's not the best but it's pretty good for me believe me.

IMG_20190309_192001

Not sure where to go next.  Should I clear coat it and decals or airbrush some soot on the engine grills and barrel? 

I think this next stage is where it generally starts to go wrong for me in any model I do and I loose interest.

Must keep motivated, must keep motivated.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tommygunn1972 said:

Should I clear coat it and decals or airbrush some soot on the engine grills and barrel? 

Clear first then weather ? If you make a mistake its easier to remove/cover and less chance of damaging the paint underneath the clear coat. 

EDIT - double posted 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Clear first then weather ? If you make a mistake its easier to remove/cover and less chance of damaging the paint underneath the clear coat. 

EDIT - double posted 

Thought so thanks for the advice Dennis I think I will fix the track guard and then clear coat. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Decal time

Sorry it's been a while, I wanted to add some stowage later and some spare tank tracks to the turret which I was surprised were not included. So I ordered a workable track set from Amazon so I could butcher the kit tracks but they came and were missing parts so I couldn't build them.  I am now waiting for their replacement. Which has been a while.

In the meantime I clear coated with Gauzy intermediate and added the decals. So this model now depicts a vehicle from the 1st tank battalion at C-Coy 1969. The decals were from Star decals and went on pretty good with micro-sol.

M48 decals

M48 decals

It was then that I think I made an error due to my lack of armour experience.  I clear coated the the decals to seal them then read it is best to Matt coat them for the weathering stage. Can anybody explain.  I'm a little unsure where to go next with the weathering stage, I have oil paints, pigments and chalks. Just not sure of the best way to use them or the stages to go through.

Pigments

As always any advice will be appreciated 😉

• Like 5

Could you not Matt coat it over the gloss ? Or will the two react adversely when used like that ? On a different note thanks for showing your decal set. It has the exact tank I'm trying to build down in the Patton group build on it. I originally thought id have to scratch the markings up. Now I'm off to check on pricing. 

Dennis

On 07/04/2019 at 12:17, Tommygunn1972 said:

Decal time

Sorry it's been a while, I wanted to add some stowage later and some spare tank tracks to the turret which I was surprised were not included. So I ordered a workable track set from Amazon so I could butcher the kit tracks but they came and were missing parts so I couldn't build them.  I am now waiting for their replacement. Which has been a while.

In the meantime I clear coated with Gauzy intermediate and added the decals. So this model now depicts a vehicle from the 1st tank battalion at C-Coy 1969. The decals were from Star decals and went on pretty good with micro-sol.

M48 decals

M48 decals

It was then that I think I made an error due to my lack of armour experience.  I clear coated the the decals to seal them then read it is best to Matt coat them for the weathering stage. Can anybody explain.  I'm a little unsure where to go next with the weathering stage, I have oil paints, pigments and chalks. Just not sure of the best way to use them or the stages to go through.

Pigments

As always any advice will be appreciated 😉

Great model. For the pigments you should try mixes. Looks more natural with some variation. You have a lot of light warm tones. Together with your black you can achieve darker tones. A light grey would allow you to achieve lighter cold tones as well.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

There is an M48 near my house on a plinth. It is a captured Pakistani one and is in rather bad shape (shot up) and it stands beside a Centurion of the Indian Army that also fought in the 1965 war.

Interesting build.

I will follow if that is OK