Dragon M48A3.

Hi all, I have never attempted an armour build before, have mainly concentrated on helicopters and sci-fi up to now so please go easy on me.

I am quite a way into this build but will post the progress to now, will be quite picture heavy I imagine.  Will hopefully post over a few days to show the stages.

So here is the kit I am starting with:

M48a3

I am fascinated by the Vietnam war I guess it's because there was so much film footage.

This kit doesn't have the IR search light so I ordered the Def.models turret detail kit as I think it looks way cooler with the light.

Edited by Tommygunn1972
Added detail
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Happy to follow your build, did you know there is a Patton tank group build starting at the end of March ? If your interested you may want to check it out ? 

Dennis

No I didn't know, I will have a look. Not sure how the group build thing works so will have to do some digging around.

Thanks for the heads up though Dennis much appreciated and thanks for following.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If i can answer any questions please feel free to ask ? I am hosting the group build. 

Dennis

Don't know where to start really, never done a group build and wouldn't know how to get going with it.  Also I'm not the best model builder so wouldn't want to be out of my depth! 

• Like 1

I can understand not wanting to be out of your depth. I had never done a group build myself until january of 2018. I've done about 6-7 since then and am either hosting or co-hosting at least 4 builds over the next two years. I find the chat, friendly tips, joking, and general fun to be somewhat addictive.

The rules are generally pretty easy in the case of the Patton build. It must be a derivative of the M-26/46 Pershing Patton sire. Any variant that was built even as a one off test bed counts. The model cant be more 25% started at the beginning of the group build. You need to maintain a build thread same as you would anywhere else. There is an official start/end date. Though there is no penalty for not finishing. No selling, buying, or trading in the group build areas. Some group builds do award prizes. Then there are some where in the end its just the fellowship of your fellow forum members voting. They will decide which build they think is best. I hope that answers some of the questions ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Also, don't worry about not being a great modeller, most of us aren't. GBs here on BM are all about inspiring and helping each other, and they do that quite effectively. When you have an issue, there's usually someone who'll show up with a solution or suggestion. Highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Also, don't worry about not being a great modeller, most of us aren't. GBs here on BM are all about inspiring and helping each other, and they do that quite effectively. When you have an issue, there's usually someone who'll show up with a solution or suggestion. Highly recommended.

Ok I guess I will start looking around for an M26/46 Patton then.

I will need a lot of solutions and suggestions 😂😂

Edited by Tommygunn1972
Added info
  • Like 3

So the first night was taken up putting together the road wheels and main parts of the hull:

M48a3

M48a3

I added the top wheels, not sure what they are called, and then thought this might be a bad idea when I start painting!

M48a3

Overall this kit is really well detailed and I am really impressed with the fit.  It's my first dragon kit, I was going to get the Tamiya kit but I think this is turning out to be a better buy. 

M48a3

• Like 7

I think i owe you an apology. I didn't mean for it to seem pushy, when i asked if you were interested in the group build. I also didn't mean for you to go and purchase another kit. I had presumed you would use this one and wait ? Im happy you are wiling to take the leap and try a group build. 

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think i owe you an apology. I didn't mean for it to seem pushy, when i asked if you were interested in the group build. I also didn't mean for you to go and purchase another kit. I had presumed you would use this one and wait ? Im happy you are wiling to take the leap and try a group build. 

Dennis

Haha, no need to apologise, i don't need any excuse to get a new kit, I have finished the build on this kit so well over the 25% progress mark for the group build, i am just a bit slow putting the WIP up online.  I am interested in doing a group build, do I just let you know my intention on the group build thread and what i want to build?  and do i still have time to join? 🙂

6 hours ago, Tommygunn1972 said:

do I just let you know my intention on the group build thread and what i want to build?  and do i still have time to join? 🙂

Yes you can ask to join on the thread as it sits currently, or you can wait until March 30th and just start a WIP thread. As for what you want to build, you can give an intended choice now, but its not set in stone. You can join a group build at anytime all the way up to the day before it ends. Provided you think you can knock the model out in that short of a timespan.

There is an annual group build called “Blitz-build”.  Where you only get 24 hours over a two day span to build a model. Kind of bringing back the childhood experience of knocking them out fast. Oddly this year i think there are two of them ? In case you are curious heres a link to this years builds. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045666-2019-gb-and-stgb-calendar/

Will keep a lookout for you down in the groupbuild area. 

Dennis

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes you can ask to join on the thread as it sits currently, or you can wait until March 30th and just start a WIP thread. As for what you want to build, you can give an intended choice now, but its not set in stone. You can join a group build at anytime all the way up to the day before it ends. Provided you think you can knock the model out in that short of a timespan.

There is an annual group build called “Blitz-build”.  Where you only get 24 hours over a two day span to build a model. Kind of bringing back the childhood experience of knocking them out fast. Oddly this year i think there are two of them ? In case you are curious heres a link to this years builds. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045666-2019-gb-and-stgb-calendar/

Will keep a lookout for you down in the groupbuild area. 

Dennis

Thanks for the info, will definitely think about it. Not sure about the 24 hour build though it takes me that long to stop scratching my chin and decide where to start 😂😂

• Like 1

Ok, next instalment with the build.

After getting lots done on the hull:

M48a3

M48a3

M48a3

M48a3

I realised I probably shouldn't have added the small road wheels on, not sure if this will cause issues with painting later.  Lesson learned for the next kit.

As a distraction the after market kit from Def.models came.  I have used photo etch before but not resin parts so another learning curve.  I always like to try an new technique or skill out on each model there are lots of firsts with this.

Here's the kit:

M48a3

It's just for the turret.

M48a3

The parts look pretty good with replacements for the mantle, IR light and photoetch for various catches and the mantle cover clips.

M48a3

The instructions however leave a lot to the imagination 😂

• Like 4

So onto the turret, time to get the magnifying glasses out.

M48a3

This kit offers loads of detail, the hatch looks so much better and the Jerry can too.

M48a3

M48a3

I was glad to see things starting to look like a tank.

Then these came in the post:

M48a3

M48a3

M48a3

This might turn into a diorama of some kind.

Next on the list is the searchlight, which looks super fiddly!

• Like 2

Ok so it was super fiddly, but looks really good. I'm not a photo etch expert but I think it turned out pretty good.

M48a3

M48a3

I needed to make my own handles for the sides of the IR light too. Also used some garden wire for the cable that runs from it.  This is how it turned out when attached.

M48a3

• Like 2

Better than what i could have down with the etch ? Though can you post a photo of the etch instructions here, or P/M me with one. Im building the Tamiya M48 for the group build. I may try to jazz it up a little with stuff from my spares if i have anything i can use. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Better than what i could have down with the etch ? Though can you post a photo of the etch instructions here, or P/M me with one. Im building the Tamiya M48 for the group build. I may try to jazz it up a little with stuff from my spares if i have anything i can use. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis, I have thrown the instructions but the photo I posted earlier was about it.  I had to fill in a lot of the gaps, there wasn't another page so it wouldn't help you.  I found this image online which helped:

TM-11-5855-250-12-P0017im

Hope it helps, there wasn't much online to go on either.

Edited by Tommygunn1972
Forgot image
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some nice work there on the M48, especially with the etched brass. Can I suggest one thing though. If that's the aerial that you intend to use, lose it. Replace it either with the carbon fibre ones from Accurate Armour or some thin stainless steel rod from Eileen's Emporium. Looks much better.

John.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:12 PM, Tommygunn1972 said:

I added the top wheels, not sure what they are called, and then thought this might be a bad idea when I start painting!

Return rollers.  Certainly easier to paint when stuck on a paintbrush handle, cocktail stick etc and rotated.

You might want to do something about the join seams between upper and lower hull parts along the hull sides, below the rollers. They were welded and ground off, but none too neatly.  Rub or scrape them down to remove the edge line and stipple some liquid poly over with a stiff brush.  A little filler or plastic scrap in any gaps.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Some nice work there on the M48, especially with the etched brass. Can I suggest one thing though. If that's the aerial that you intend to use, lose it. Replace it either with the carbon fibre ones from Accurate Armour or some thin stainless steel rod from Eileen's Emporium. Looks much better.

John.

Thanks john, the aerial isn't the kit piece I used some thin wire, it looks bent because I keep knocking it while I work on it.  I'm hoping it will look ok after I've finished it up and straightened it out a bit.  If it doesn't I will look into your suggestions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Return rollers.  Certainly easier to paint when stuck on a paintbrush handle, cocktail stick etc and rotated.

You might want to do something about the join seams between upper and lower hull parts along the hull sides, below the rollers. They were welded and ground off, but none too neatly.  Rub or scrape them down to remove the edge line and stipple some liquid poly over with a stiff brush.  A little filler or plastic scrap in any gaps.

Hi, thanks for the advice, I am not sure what you mean though, this is my first armour build and I am feeling my way through as I go.  I was hoping to have it nice and dirty underneath so hopefully you won't be able to tell, if I am thinking what your thinking lol

I meant the join between the upper and lower halves along below the rollers, and a little vertical join in front of the sprockets where the hull narrows.  And around the nose.  On the real thing the main hull was a single-piece casting so there would be no visible joins there.  Any casting lines from the mould joins would be ground off reasonably smoothly.  But yes, mud might hide it.