The Force Awakens Stormtrooper Helmet

Hi all,

I'm not really sure if this is appropriate to post here as it's a full size build rather than a scale model, although it is 1:1 scale I suppose! Anyway, a while back (on a bit of a whim) I bought a Rubie's First Order Stormtrooper Helmet. For 30-odd quid it looked like a bit of fun and nice ornament for the man-cave! However, the quality was somewhat 'iffy' and it was clearly undersized which was disappointing. My original plan was just to give it a decent paint job but the more I looked at it, the more I couldn't live with the small size (about 85% of the original I think) or the compromises that had clearly been made in order to mould it in only two pieces (back and front halves). So I decided to see if I could increase its size and sharpen up some of the details. I thought some of you might be interested to see the WIP.

Firstly, the back and front halves were spaced apart and the 'face' section detached and lowered,

Rubies-mod1.jpg

Next, I sliced it in half and spaced the left and right sides apart,

Rubies-mod4.jpg

I then cut out the 'face' area and beefed up the bottom edge with some heat-shaped styrene rod and Milliput,

Rubies-mod7.jpg

Rubies-mod6.jpg

Next job was to reconstruct the 'temple' area with a plastic card 'tray' and Milliput and to open up the side vents,

rubies-temple1.jpg

rubies-temple2.jpg

Rubies-mod13.jpg

I rebuilt the 'face' from scratch as the original moulded part was horrible! Firstly shaping some steel hex-mesh,

Rubies-mod14.jpg

Then fitting it and building up the 'eye' surround with plastic card, Evergreen rod and Milliput (and also re-instating other details on the side of the helmet),

Rubies-mod21.jpg

The nose armour was made from plastic card with little 'feet' to space it properly over the mesh,

nose-armour-1.jpg

nose-armour-2.jpg

I then made a pattern and cast copies of the vents or catches or whatever they are on the top of the helmet,

Greeblie-casts.jpg

Everything fitted and almost ready for final priming and painting,

Rubies-Mod28.jpg

White paint on and masking starting for the black areas,

Rubies-Mod29.jpg

The eye section is cut from a slightly bulged, tinted motorcycle visor. It had to be curved more than it originally was which I did by warming with a heat gun. That almost went horribly wrong as I overdid it and crazed a patch of the surface at one point! Cue two hours of sanding and polishing to get it back to normal clarity (preceded by a further hour or so of cussing of course!!!).

I appreciate this is a bit different from a 'normal' scale model but if anyone's interested I'll post some finished photos in the Ready for Inspection section shortly.

Cheers.

• Like 18

Great construction skills, I wasn't sure a cut and shut would work on something so curvy and mechanical but the finished result is amazing. A vast improvement on the original.

Is it possible to wear it?

W

1 hour ago, Will Vale said:

Great construction skills, I wasn't sure a cut and shut would work on something so curvy and mechanical but the finished result is amazing. A vast improvement on the original.

Is it possible to wear it?

W

Thanks WIll. Yes, it's perfectly wearable, although it's only got some temporary foam pads installed at the moment. I plan on fitting out the interior at some stage, mostly to hide the evidence of the butchery that went on!!! 😁

• 3 months later...