Tamiya P47 1/48 Scale

PaulV

Hey all,

So after busy days at work, trying to figure out business relocation, making redundancies and other crap (people said Brexit is good, I have to live with it and explain to stuff why job loss is a good thing for them, they can take back the control) Tamiya p47 came to me!

I also bought Eduard etched parts, mainly for the seat belts, however got a good deal on ebay, so will use other parts as well. 

First look - what an amazing kit it is. Wow. 

What a detailed cockpit! 

So started yesterday evening, I have done few bits this morning. 

Just to note, I am nowhere even close to professional and nowhere even close to the builds I see on this forum, however find this model building a super relaxing hobby! :)

I wont't post pictures of the kit itself, there are quite a lot of them and a lot of professional and objective reviews of how outstanding this kit is :D

Started with a cockpit, was not sure about colour, lots of pictures of p47s suggest quite different "greens" so I though I would test my Vallejjo interior green for that. Brush painted, few coats and the result (it drys very quickly so once you finish all parts, the first one you started is almost ready for the next coat):

47217018251_02f8b91f15_b.jpg 

Some Revell acrylic black and white + humbrol brown mixed humbrol red for the "pillow" (parts are not glued yet, but fit is amazing and holds stable even without glue :D ):

47164934862_792968e7a4_b.jpg

Add some more detailing (revell silver, revell yellow, few Eduard Etched parts), dried brushed with lighter colour of vallejo interior green, dried brushed with revell silver, added tamiya black panel line wash and the result is still drying:

47164934122_315b2f72d6_b.jpg

Added Eduard seat belts, and could not resist to fit test it:

40252111123_96506101d1_b.jpg

46302551475_1444e26006_b.jpg

46493465864_b4f2e9922c_b.jpg

46302550535_56c3365863_b.jpg

So far that is it. I am not sure how accurate it is in terms of colouring etc, but looks SIMILAR of what you can find on google :D So happy with that :D

I am fully impressed with the detailing Tamiya made, with the fit so far (even though it is couple of the parts only, but I tried building Dora Wings Bellanca which was somewhat a disaster in everything, so just lays in the box for the last couple of the months without progress) and it is an extremely enjoyable kit!

Suggestions and recommendations are more than welcome, I am quite a beginner with only couple of the builds on my shelf. Just do not suggest airbrush, no space, had to work with brushes :DDDD

• Like 12

So bit of update from today.

Turbo charger?

revell silver, tamiya panel line and bit of rust dust:

33365421168_d6d031622c_b.jpg

Engine parts painted, bits covered in tamiya panel wash:

32299050587_90b685a39e_b.jpg

First coat on engine cover:

33365414788_51c2ce1dfe_b.jpg

Engine assembled, bit of dry brushing with dark grey, silver and tamiya wash:

47189069762_4e4d5f1f80_b.jpg

So that is it for today :) Comments, feedback and suggestions are always more than welcome :)

• Like 10

Hey all,

need a bit of help. Anyone can recommend correct olive drab colour? I would probably prefer vallejo one - brushes nicely. I have humbrol olive drab, unfortunately it has lots of grain/"sand" and I am not sure how to sort it out.  

Great brushwork so far. Olive Drab is quite a variable colour depending on how much it's weathered. Vallejo has it as 80.889 U.S.A Olive Drab in their Model Color range.

Cheers,

Wlad

I asked the same question about Olive Drab. There's no standard colour I was told, because the shades went from brown to olive green, going through dark green at the same time. Pick a colour that looks right to you and use it.

Vallejo olive drab is distinctly brown on its own. Use it as a base colour but add a bit of interior green or dark green to it and you'll see the difference. Don't coat the entire model in the same hue. Make a patchwork of different shades.

6 hours ago, Wlad said:

Great brushwork so far. Olive Drab is quite a variable colour depending on how much it's weathered. Vallejo has it as 80.889 U.S.A Olive Drab in their Model Color range.

Cheers,

Wlad

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I asked the same question about Olive Drab. There's no standard colour I was told, because the shades went from brown to olive green, going through dark green at the same time. Pick a colour that looks right to you and use it.

Makes sense. Many thanks!

4 hours ago, clive_t said:

Just caught up with this, fantastic job on the painting so far!

Thank you!!!

3 hours ago, Josip said:

Vallejo olive drab is distinctly brown on its own. Use it as a base colour but add a bit of interior green or dark green to it and you'll see the difference. Don't coat the entire model in the same hue. Make a patchwork of different shades.

Many thanks! I think mixing the paint would be the best. I have the brownish olive drab from vallejo, I have done some testing with it and really love the coverage, I was not able to achieve it with revell aqua paints (which I love so much). 

• Like 1