Turning Japanese ++ FINISHED ++

CliffB

If I remember correctly Airfix used to issue their instruction sheets (only on larger kits) in different colours & I remember fitting a red instrument panel into a Wellington & a blue one into a Catalina, of course it's possible I'm senile & just making this up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Interested to see how the painting and decaling before assembling goes, totally understand your reasoning behind it and hope that it goes well for you.

Thanks Craig. I managed to get the white on last night and so far, so good :winkgrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I do indeed and weren't they a bit pants but your use of it here looks quite effective. My choice would be Mike Grant "Cockpit Details".

Those decals look really nice Nigel.  Probably one of the many things that no modeller should be without!

3 hours ago, spaddad said:

If I remember correctly Airfix used to issue their instruction sheets (only on larger kits) in different colours & I remember fitting a red instrument panel into a Wellington & a blue one into a Catalina, of course it's possible I'm senile & just making this up.

I think you're right.  I never made the Wellington, but I did build the Catalina and I can visualise the blue IP, now that you mention it.  IIRC the entire instruction sheet was printed in that colour.  I wonder what the reasoning was - particularly with the red?

Cheers

Cliff

25 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I think you're right.  I never made the Wellington, but I did build the Catalina and I can visualise the blue IP, now that you mention it.  IIRC the entire instruction sheet was printed in that colour.  I wonder what the reasoning was - particularly with the red?

Yes the whole inst  sheet was printed in colour, simpler times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

it would be rude to not have one from all 3 of the Japanese forces in the collection.

I was thinking the same for me.....

Here's the downside of painting both sides of the fuselage separately.

P1100667.JPG

P1100668.JPG

It could be worse!

• Like 1

Finished at last :)

P1100671.jpg

I've enjoyed this one more than most, so maybe I should be building a few more choppers.  I might need to get a bigger display case though (and photo booth!), as they do seem to take up a surprising amount of room.  For sure I'll be building the other Japanese options in this kit at some time.

Thanks to all of you who have supported this build and especially to Craig for being such an attentive host.  Thanks also to Craig for pointing out that this aircraft was actually grey, not blue :winkgrin:.

As usual, I'll post some more photos in the Gallery shortly.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

Well done Cliff!

She looks really good and the colour scheme is really smart, I'm sure your other Japanese builds will look equally as smart, drop me a line when you do a WIP or RFI as I would love to see them. Glad to hear that you want to build some more choppers, the more people we get building them on Britmodeller the better.

You are way too kind about my hosting, all I do is drop in and check up on all your hard work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...