AZ Model Yokosuka/Kawanishi K5Y2, Red Dragonfly, IJN, 1945

John Masters

Round two...I think I have discovered a reasonable mix for the IJN Deep Green...1 part Black Green/2 parts Olive Green.  We'll see.

32373981857_6d726c1b5a_z_d.jpg

And all masked up.

47315905851_3da954581f_b_d.jpg

I have to do some work on the Hungarian Mig this afternoon.  I'm lagging behind...!

--John

• Like 3

My version of IJN Deep Green is on...

47317751201_0db7271826_b_d.jpg

...and a bit later the mask comes off!  Looking very striking and trainer-like...

46402795165_2758c11d35_b_d.jpg

I will let that set up over night, then attach the wings, re-mask for the red stripe on the floats, etc...This will give me time to wrap up the Mig, I think.

--John

• Like 7

Thanks Dennis.  I think so too.  I was imagining what it will look like with the decals....'snazzy' came to mind.  Of course, from the underside, the entire aircraft is orange.  So it would be hard to miss as a trainer.

I slept poorly last night so I figured I might as well get some modelling done!  I think this one is ready for decals.  I'll add the pontoons after the decals and weathering have been applied to the fuselage and before the rigging.  Except for the Hinomaru on the wings, of course.

Its looking pretty sharp, I think.  The cabane struts were kind of a pain, but it all worked out in the end.

40369825273_6e1b39ed15_b_d.jpg

33459179808_44cbaed899_b_d.jpg

The pontoons look nice...

46611716954_8dc15d7fb1_b_d.jpg

As does the wooden prop...

33459179698_f77b5dceae_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Too late to change any of that Peter...Sorry to disappoint...

The rigging went very well. Afterwards I aded the decals.  Once again I found myself modelling and not photographing.  Sorry.  Again.

33465087088_3895913716_b_d.jpg

40375803613_5998cdd377_b_d.jpg

Here's a tantalizing angle...finishing up the rigging, post decal, post pontoon.  Yes...once again...fewer pictures.  If anyone needs to see rigging being done, well, here it is.  Rigging jig, monofilament, hemostats, CA...

33465086748_3a84eceb46_b_d.jpg

I have one word for this next image...'trolley'...

I'll prime it grey and leave it as such.  I have some good rusty weathering tints I can wash it in to give it a suitably dockside appearance.  It's made of Evergreen, some plastic wagon wheels and a tail wheel from a Me109 kit.  I am thinking of adding a cleat on top of the swivel wheel and some line draped over the tongue.

32399092057_e4d4fbb036_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

Good to see a bit of scratch building on the trolley. Much better than reading which after market supplier was found. 

I agree that the green Orange and red looks much better than is sounds! 

Nice little model well made. 

Colin 

Hello John,

Lovely Willow, and great work on the scratch-built trolley.

Is there a relationship between the AZ Models and Valom kits? They look pretty similar.

Regards,

David

On 3/4/2019 at 11:10 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

That is pretty cool, however, I am not sure if you know this but I have thing for trolleys...😊

So you're the one leaving supermarket ones lying around everywhere!

Ian