CH-46 U.S. Marines-Vietnam (Academy 1:48)

wimbledon99

24 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

.............. I'm saving the blades till last. I have a few decals to put on first; it could take a while! 

Probably wise.

Looks like a nice decal sheet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Looks great with the decals going on. The masking of the black areas is spot on.

Thanks Nigel  :happy:  I managed a few more today. I'll do the other side once my eyes have returned to normal :brb:

47483327212_4d88fdaf48_k.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That looks fantastic!

The decals look really good and the density of the white seems excellent as there is no visible bleed through of the green.

Who says that single colour schemes can't be eye catching, because this one certainly is.

Thanks Craig; really appreciated :blush:  It took the best part of the day in-between other things but I'm over the half way mark with the decals, so all good!!

• Like 1

Absolutely agree, very nice indeed, it's one of those rare eye-catching decal - schemes, on a model, I wouldn't weather it, a panel wash, and that'd be it, 

Superb nigel

• Like 2

Nigel, Glynn, Craig - Thank you for the kind words. They really are very encouraging  :blush: 

Glynn, I've been pondering what to do re. the weathering as some pictures I've seen of displays show a gloss finish that would put most cars to shame!! That said, I've also seen a few builds with a matt finish and a bit of dirt; they also look as good. Hmmmm, what to do?? :think:

• Like 2

I have to say I tend to favour matt finishes on models, high gloss finishes can make a model look too toy like. That would give you the opportunity for some weathering which always adds interest to a model. If you want to go down the gloss finish route I would use a semi-gloss for scale effect.

• Like 2

Gents, I think a slightly weathered finish may be preferred! That said, any advice to to the contrary holds a lot of weight hence it's still a case of 'what to do?' !!

• Like 3

I thought it was about time I did the other side so after getting up early to watch the Chinese GP, I cracked on with the opposite side and underneath :happy:

Just the rotor decals left now :phew:

40640414003_eda31f48ab_k.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice indeed Nigel, the decals certainly bring a bit of colour to the scheme and look like they have settled into place very nicely.

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

Cracking work on the decals, it really does look the part.

Hi Craig / Nigel,

Thanks for the kind words  :happy:  I've applied 'Sol' tonight and I'm hoping she'll be ready for an overcoat of varnish to seal them all in tomorrow! 🤞

• Like 2

Wow that's alot of decals Nigel!! :hypnotised: But with them in palce and your superb paintwork this is looking like it going to be one awesome model!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 4/15/2019 at 2:55 PM, PlaStix said:

Wow that's alot of decals Nigel!! :hypnotised: But with them in palce and your superb paintwork this is looking like it going to be one awesome model!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

You’re not wrong re. the decal count!! Thanks Stix, you are once agin, very kind :happy:

On 4/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, Silenoz said:

looking very good so far...

Many thanks!

On 4/15/2019 at 6:41 PM, modelling minion said:

I think the finish looks great Nigel and the more I look at your model the more I want to build one in this scheme myself.

Thank you Craig! :happy:  And to think; I thought a CH46 was a Chinook not long before commencement!! 🤭👀😳

• Like 2