CH-46 U.S. Marines-Vietnam (Academy 1:48)

wimbledon99

Looking good nigel so far, a bit of scratch building is in order there maybe, I've got the bull frog marines version in 48th that @Jabba is doing, I think it got kit of the year if I'm not mistaken when it was released

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, Hewy said:

Looking good nigel so far, a bit of scratch building is in order there maybe, I've got the bull frog marines version in 48th that @Jabba is doing, I think it got kit of the year if I'm not mistaken when it was released

Thanks Glynn  :happy:  I'm with Craig; No excuses!! :wink:

Anyhow, quick update. Things have slowed a little due to work and family but I've managed to get on a tad more with masking and primer. I've dry fitted the doors with tape from the inside. It's pretty obvious but this masks the inside of the fuselage whilst allowing me to remove the doors once painted so they can be displayed 'open'.

47485673271_2e86c2b1a6_k.jpg

• Like 5

On 26/03/2019 at 21:13, modelling minion said:

And you're not taking part?

Really Glynn, just because you've got at least 2 other builds on the go is no excuse at

Sorry fellas, it's allotment preparation time too, thats why I've taken a step into the world of 1/72,i did peruse the bull frog when the GB started, but It would have dragged me down  the detail route, and a lot of time, it is a nice kit, but it is showing its age surface detail wise I think, I don't have a 72nd one of these although I was

taken by @Steve60

And his splinter scheme, Superb job

Nigel that primer is good enough to be the finish, look forward to the top coat and decals

• Like 2

Actually Academy's rendition is quite crude but not so distant from the truth!

There are two doors covered in thermal insulation material which give access to the engine bay. This is the only web image I can find, I have more if you need it.

ch-46e_154036_41_of_73.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/28/2019 at 4:32 PM, Hewy said:

Nigel that primer is good enough to be the finish, look forward to the top coat and decals

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I agree with Glynn (about the finish of the primer anyway) it really is very good, nice and smooth.

Hi Glynn / Craig, Thank you  :happy:  I use the Vallejo Surface Primer and find it always tends to cover nicely as long as is goes on lightly.

Whirly, Thanks for the photo; I see what you mean!! I guess it could almost be sorted with some thin plastic card :think:

Another quick update; she's starting to look like something on the cover of the box (the wheels are dry fitted for now)

46578367245_0ee55b54c0_k.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Excellent looking finish.

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes superb paint job nigel, it's looking the part now, it's a big beast isn't it, are you folding the rotors? , there's a how on the net somewhere  using  the kit parts

Gents, Thank you :happy:

Glynn, Yes, I'm folding the rotors and have a conversion kit to help me on my way. It calls for a few more 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Craig, I hope so!

Bit miffed at myself as I realise now that the filters over the rear intakes (I think they're filters) need to be black. It would have been so much simpler to paint them before fitting but I now have to mask them up  :facepalm:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Wow!! That really is looking stunning Nigel!! Very impressive paintwork!! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

You are very kind, Stix. Thank you!!   :happy:    I was a tad nervous about the gloss application but I think it's come out OK!

2 minutes ago, spaddad said:

At the risk of sounding like a numpty (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last) can I ask where you got the resin rotor folding bits?

Hi spaddad, I purchased the kit as a complete package on an auction site but a quick 'google' lead me to the following:

https://www.scalewarship.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=228

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wimbledon99 said:

You are very kind, Stix. Thank you!!   :happy:    I was a tad nervous about the gloss application but I think it's come out OK!

Hi spaddad, I purchased the kit as a complete package on an auction site but a quick 'google' lead me to the following:

https://www.scalewarship.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=228

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, much appreciated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Wow Nigel that is really shiny!! The decals should go on without any trouble at all.

Good job on painting the black area around the exhaust, very neat indeed.

Thanks Craig  :happy:  I started the decals tonight and so far, so good. There's a fair few to go!!

37 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Just caught up with this build. Looking very nice.

Looking forward to seeing the folded Blade's on.

Thank you Smudge  :happy:  I'm saving the blades till last. I have a few decals to put on first; it could take a while!  :unamused:

46800844054_31202f41f6_k.jpg

33647731848_aabb65675f_k.jpg

• Like 4