CH-46 U.S. Marines-Vietnam (Academy 1:48)

wimbledon99

And we're off!!

I filled a 'few' pin marks last night to allow the filler to dry and have sanded them down today. I couldn't believe how many there were and I don't understand why they are on the 'good' side  :wonder:

Oh well, at least I can get on with the build now

47112914062_432b17dad1_k.jpg

• Like 5

Well done on making a start Nigel!

That is an awful lot of pin marks that you have had to fill, I know @Wafu has the same "fun" ahead with his build too, it really doesn't make any sense why Academy had them on the visible side rather than the one that is perfect;y hidden but you have done a great job on filling and hiding them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Well done on making a start Nigel!

That is an awful lot of pin marks that you have had to fill, I know @Wafu has the same "fun" ahead with his build too, it really doesn't make any sense why Academy had them on the visible side rather than the one that is perfect;y hidden but you have done a great job on filling and hiding them.

Hi Craig, Thank you. 'Fun' is a word I may need to look up :wink:

6 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Another with folded blades, great! Neat work on filling all those ejector marks.

Hi Nigel,

Thank you re. the ejector marks :happy:

This is my first attempt at folded blades and it goes a tad like:

Start with this

32214228507_95dd9df597_k.jpg

Drill to the correct depth

33280957058_cee9abb1ea_k.jpg

Cut accordingly and insert resin part

33280957148_ba3e46a54a_k.jpg

Then, for the blades, start with this

33280957198_7806551977_k.jpg

Cut back the 'pin' and insert into the resin part

32214229007_34e7478585_k.jpg

And end up with this

47156172351_aacb2c7d4d_k.jpg

OK - I now need to do this another five times!!

For info, I haven't glued anything. I'm going to wait until painting is complete and I get to the final fitting in order to allow me to move bits about before fixing permanently.

• Like 8

Very nice work Nigel, I'd of preferred to do the A but couldn't find a reasonably priced on on Ebay. I see you engaged in the pin marked hell, good on you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CliffB said:

Was drilling those holes as tricky as it looks?  You've done a great job with that first one.

Hi Cliff, Thank you. The instructions say to cut, then drill. However, I used the existing hole as a guide and drilled before I cut. This made things quite simple :smile:

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Nigel, that is very neat indeed and looks like it will work well and it will certainly make for a different looking model and one that will be easier to store!

Thanks Craig, The folding blades certainly will reduce shelf space!! :wink:

12 hours ago, Wafu said:

Very nice work Nigel, I'd of preferred to do the A but couldn't find a reasonably priced on on Ebay. I see you engaged in the pin marked hell, good on you.

Thank you Wafu  :happy:  I had to get those marks out of the way in order to stop the nightmares!! :worry:

A little more progress today. I managed a start on the cockpit (the doorway is dry-fit at the moment) and put some paint down too. More to follow this week with any luck :fingerscrossed:

32279498867_427adee77a_k.jpg

32279498787_0609ec9acd_k.jpg

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh dear Nigel, really sorry to see your issues with your cyclic sticks. I have done the same thing myself far too many times to count.

I'm sure you will get them fixed and no doubt looking better than the kits original parts.

Hi Craig, You know I said I'd need lots of these  🤞  Well, .............. :whistle:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Oops. Maybe make some replacements out of brass tube and wire (that's what I would do anyway).

I had the same kind of idea though I used plastic instead of brass tube!

28 minutes ago, Wafu said:

Ooooo, thats gonna hurt. Still the tech looks nice, onward and upward.

It did indeed hurt!! However, I've had my first go at building a replacement part from scratch and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. So much so, I cracked on with the rest of the cockpit :happy:

46332121725_52064e7997_k.jpg

32341164417_0e58894198_k.jpg

32306086517_77cf4475c6_k.jpg

32306086457_a7e34fb2af_k.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great recovery Nigel, your scratch built parts look better than the original kit ones.

The cockpit looks very good with the etch, makes a big difference.

Thanks Craig! :happy:

I have to admit to feeling rather chuffed with myself!!

• Like 1