KV-107 JGSDF Okinawa rescue scheme

modelling minion

Looks great with the decals on. Thanks for all the feedback on the shortcomings of the Print Scale decals, duly noted and I will hopefully avoid the worst of the pitfalls when I get to using mine. And I got you onto page 3.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, got a panel wash on this evening and she looks a bit dirtier than in most of the pics I've seen but I prefer the look to the almost toy like appearance of being glossy and pristine. Exhaust staining and a bit of matt tomorrow and then we can get the masking off!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I for one can't wait to see this slightly dirty bird, sounds a bit kinky. I'm always in for that.

And another little window into Nigel's private life opens! Can't beat a dirty bird Nigel, though she's not that dirty just a bit "used", hopefully pics to follow soon.

• Haha 2

One thought Craig re the colour density of the decals. Do you want to try double decalling? I did that with my Red Arrows Hawk where I applied a second set of decals on top of the first resulting in a much better white. I have the same sheet as you but I very much doubt I will do the Japanese scheme. If you want the Japanese bits off my sheet, I can bring them to Milton Keynes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Richard that would be great, I would probably just use the large kanji script for the fuselage and possibly the serial number.

Bringing them to the MK show works for me, if I get her finished bar the extra decals I may even put her on the club stand, of course I need to find a decent picture of a CH-46/KV-107 rotor head from somewhere so I can detail mine a bit but can I find one anywhere, no. There are lots of Chinook ones, Sea Kings and virtually every other chopper but no Sea Knights anywhere!

As promised here are some pics of how my KV-107 looks at the minute, starting with a couple of general shots of either side of the fuselage;

40690667713_1d2876221f_o_d.jpg

40690668343_e561461029_o_d.jpg

As you can see the masking has been removed after the paint was given a more matt finish as she looked too glossy for my eyes, a panel wash has also been applied using very thin Revell Anthracite as I find this gives a nicer look than a black would. The various aerials etc have also now started to be added both from the kit parts and from scratch building as some of the aerials needed are not supplied in the kit. On the forward starboard fuselage there is a pitot added and I have also drilled out the hole of the small (APU?) outlet which is on the forward pylon as you can see below;

40690669113_206db6eb63_o_d.jpg

There is another pitot added to the forward port fuselage too, now you have to be careful with these pitots as they are just but jointed onto the airframe with no location marks at all never mind a helpful hole to fit them into so careful checking of reference material is required to make sure they go in the right place. The port fuselage also has an aerial wire which runs a fair amount of the length of the fuselage from two masts, now as far as i can tell every version of the KV-107 has these in one form or another but there is nothing supplied in the kit which is very odd, so I have made some ( a'la Nigel ) from some scrap etched brass and fitted them into small slots I carefully made in the fuselage.; You can see the forward one in the picture below as well as the pitot and a small hole drilled for the aerial wire where it connects to the fuselage;

40690669743_d98a3b79a6_o_d.jpg

Next job was the rear aerial post and drilling the two small holes required for the wire at the rear of the fuselage;

40690670423_3aa80a5d60_o_d.jpg

As you can see the aerial posts have yet to be painted. Next job has been to add the various aerials etc that fit onto the underneath of the airframe which you can see in the picture below;

40690671153_1a41ef0003_o_d.jpg

I have replaced the pole like parts of the two aerials that fit onto the forward lower fuselage as the ones supplied in the kit snapped off and one of the end pieces disappeared completely, the brass rod is much closer to scale anyway and will look fine when there is a blob of superglue added to each end and their respective wires added, at least I hope they will!

I have dome some more work on the forward rotor and paint wise it is now complete and looks like this;

40690672723_d5c7d0bdcd_o_d.jpg

I cannot find a single decent picture of a KV-107'CH-46 rotor head from above that shows the hydraulic lines and their attachment points so until I do this is how they will remain.

That's it for today guys, off out to enjoy the unusually good Bank Holiday weekend weather which is no good for modelling progress at all! Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, spruecutter said:

Looking really smart, Craig!

Thanks Richard, for got to ask if you would like the Canadian part of my decal sheet in case the white shows the colours underneath as they did on mine, if so I will bring them along to the MK show.

10 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

This is looking superb after the panel line wash. The rotor head and additional detailing are also really nice.

Thanks Nigel, should get the aerial set up finished today and hopefully the mirrors on the side of the nose, I'm replacing the kit supplied supports for them with some thin brass wire as the kit parts are a little on the thick side.

9 hours ago, 128fiddler said:

Here's a picture of Luc Colin's famous CH-46 walkaround at primeportal. You can see a rotorhead with some of the plumbing visible, hope it's of any help!

Thanks, that's one of the better pictures out there but unfortunately still leaves a bit of guess work but I should be able to work something out from it.

25 minutes ago, Hewy said:

That is a really great job, a well done, eye catching scheme, I like it 

Cheers Glynn, it really is a colourful scheme isn't it, maybe one day I will build up the courage (and source the decals) to do it in 1/48!

• Like 2

Hi Craig, you have done a super job, can't wait to see it finished!

Regarding the rotorheads, I wouldn't refer to any US CH-46 because they all have a powered blade-folding capability, while the KV-107s has none and , as much as I can see, seem to have no hydraulic lines at all.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jabba said:

Like all the aerials that have been added. I am not sure how the rotor actually looks, but the colour markings that you have applied are the same as on a Chinook. 

Cheers Jabba, last few aerials to go tonight and then I think she might actually be finished. I shall be taking her along to the MK model show on Sunday so feel free to pop over and have a look at her in the flesh.

3 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hi Craig, you have done a super job, can't wait to see it finished!

Regarding the rotorheads, I wouldn't refer to any US CH-46 because they all have a powered blade-folding capability, while the KV-107s has none and , as much as I can see, seem to have no hydraulic lines at all.

Thank you so much Fabio! I've been going crazy trying to find a decent picture of the rotorhead and now I don't need to bother and can spend this evening getting the last little bits on to her.