KV-107 JGSDF Okinawa rescue scheme

modelling minion

As I'm running this GB I suppose I ought to mark my spot with my first kit, yes there might be another one!

First off will be a scheme I have wanted to do for a long time, that being the scheme worn by KV-107's of the Japanese Ground Self Defence Force based on the island of Okinawa and used for search and rescue duties. The main reason I want to do this is the fact that these aircraft carried a unique colour scheme for JGSDF KV-107's (it has also been used by UH-1's and MU-2's used for the same purpose on Okinawa) of white, orange and dark olive green split horizontally along the fuselage length.

The kit I will be using for my build is the classic 1/72 Fujimi kit of the KV-107 and the decals will come from a recent sheet by Print Scale.

First off here is the box art of the kit I will be using;

33335201258_f8863f90e7_o_d.jpg

Next up is a shot of the contents of the box showing that the kit has not been started yet;

33335203098_f610b4c88e_o_d.jpg

A fair amount of parts in there but a few are for different options and not relevant to the scheme I want to build.

And finally a shot of the decal sheet I will be using and the scheme that she will be finished in;

33335205028_9f62161bcd_o_d.jpg

Now as you can just about see from the pictures on the instruction sheet she flew both with and without the large sponsons and I'm thinking of building her without them as I can then use them in cross kitting with a CH-46 kit so that I can build a Swedish HKP-4, as these have the same rear pylon as the US versions but have the large sponsons of the Japanese KV-107. And yes the Swedish one is a possibility for a second build but not in the splinter scheme as Steve is doing that scheme already and I wouldn't want to step on his toes :) .

That's it for now, just have to wait until Saturday before I can make a start!

Craig.

• Like 9

Nice!

I was planning for the same machine....

There's not that much possibilities with the Frog, but the GB will be better if we each try for something different.

I still can revert to my Marines HH-46, and I'll check again what's available.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Antoine said:

Nice!

I was planning for the same machine....

There's not that much possibilities with the Frog, but the GB will be better if we each try for something different.

I still can revert to my Marines HH-46, and I'll check again what's available.

Antoine please do not change your build because of my choice, there are plenty of GB's where the same machine has been built by different people so do not worry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Antoine please do not change your build because of my choice, there are plenty of GB's where the same machine has been built by different people so do not worry.

Totally agree... No two models are ever the same... Personally, it would be nice to see both models by two different builders...

• Like 3

On 2/26/2019 at 3:34 PM, Silenoz said:

Totally agree... No two models are ever the same... Personally, it would be nice to see both models by two different builders...

Seconded!! :smile:

• Like 2

I have the same set of Japanese decals so I guess I will also be building this scheme. Unfortunately the decals I purchased at the start of the announcement of this GB are now in a storage container in Huntley, Aberdeenshire so I will probably have to purchase another set. I think a set of masks is also in order and I would like to get some pre-painted PE seat belts, if such a thing exists. Does anyone know of a suitable set before I go off searching?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

I have the same set of Japanese decals so I guess I will also be building this scheme. Unfortunately the decals I purchased at the start of the announcement of this GB are now in a storage container in Huntley, Aberdeenshire so I will probably have to purchase another set. I think a set of masks is also in order and I would like to get some pre-painted PE seat belts, if such a thing exists. Does anyone know of a suitable set before I go off searching?

I don't know of any seat belts or masks for the CH-46/KV-107 Nigel, which is a shame.

Seems like this is a very popular scheme, but as I said to Antoine I have no problem with others doing the same scheme, unless anyone else objects in which case I will switch schemes.

• Like 1

Seeing as everyone else is cracking on with their builds I thought I would show my efforts so far.

I've glued the main interior parts together and have added the separate exhaust area to the fuselage halves and so far things are fitting quite well there is a little bit of filling and cleaning up to do but nothing drastic, here are some pics starting with the fuselage halves showing that i have sprayed a grey paint on all the interior bits;

40302206803_474738559a_o_d.jpg

As you can see I've also added the relevant tail sections on the rear pylons. Next up is the main interior parts;

40302209573_a735aeae5b_o_d.jpg

A little bit of extra painting needed on the rear cockpit wall to show texture.

And a view of the outer face of the rear fuselage which shows the rear pylon and exhaust parts and that a little bit of a clean up is required;

40302208213_aa29290d23_o_d.jpg

The instrument panel as supplied in the kit has some very nice raised details for the instruments and should look good either with some paint or with the decal as supplied with the kit;

40302210583_34486702ed_o_d.jpg

The pilots and copilots seat as it comes in the kit;

40302212723_fa3fbf586a_o_d.jpg

Needs a little bit of work to bring it up to looking like the real thing, I will have a look at the references and see what I can do.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just to prove that I am actually carrying on with my own build as well as keeping up with all the excellent work being done on the other builds here are some pictures of the state of my build as she sits today.

The cockpit area is more or less complete and is almost straight from the box except for replacing the side panels on the seats with a thin section of brass rod and the addition of some seat belts made from thin foil;

33476008738_b56518f0c6_o_d.jpg

The main cabin area has been given a coat of dark grey paint on the floor for the non-slip surface and has been given a worn look in areas of heavy use;

46628870054_562321ea9d_o_d.jpg

I have added the kit decal to the instrument panel, which strangely doesn't line up with the raised details but does look a lot better than if I attempted to paint it;

46628875414_2a3d40ee3a_o_d.jpg

The cockpit side glazing has been added to each side of the fuselages and the windows also added and masked;

40386664603_7b82878c5e_o_d.jpg

And on the inside I have also started to add some thin strips of masking tape which has been painted red to represent the webbing which can be seen through the windows, trust me I have painted the side you can't see!

46436995555_f506ce0a5f_o_d.jpg

I used this technique on a JASDF CH-47 I built a few years ago and it worked okay then so hopefully it will work this time. Best get cracking and do the rest of the windows!

That's it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

On 12/03/2019 at 08:41, wimbledon99 said:

Nice progress Craig! I like the webbing idea - notes taken for future :wink:

Definitely,especially as there's a Chinook in the stash,Great start Craig.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 8:41 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Nice progress Craig! I like the webbing idea - notes taken for future :wink:

Thanks Nigel, not often I have a useful idea so feel free to make the most of it.

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Definitely,especially as there's a Chinook in the stash,Great start Craig.

Cheers Steve, a Chinook you say? Now there's an idea for another GB!

• Like 2

Actually managed some time at the bench and things are really starting to take shape, and that shape is KV-107 shaped!

47376849782_f80ac9b3a5_o_d.jpg

As you can see all the major assembling is now complete, and as you can also probably see there has been the need for filling and sanding, nothing too drastic but some of it is in awkward places most notably where the engine intake section sits, there was quite a gap there and if it wasn't for perfect plastic putty and a cotton bud ( Q-tip for our colonial cousins) it would have been tricky to get rid of the gap, here's a closer look at the area;

47376852652_71c3a5d052_o_d.jpg

The main cockpit glazing on the other hand fits very well indeed and has only required a tiny amount of filler in one place, thankfully!

47376851302_3b63483b79_o_d.jpg

The undersides of the nose area fitted well too, the main fuselage seam was another matter and required a decent amount of filler and sanding but all is well now;

47376855032_99f1beedae_o_d.jpg

The ramp parts are also fitted in place (in the closed position) and again needed a bit of filler but nothing horrendous;

47376853942_4a89a4b8ca_o_d.jpg

The next part to be fitted is the dorsal spine which completes the main fuselage assembly;

47376856222_a8bd715559_o_d.jpg

Next job will be to get the sponsons built and then attached to the fuselage and then it will be time to slap some primer on to show the (no doubt numerous) areas which will require touching up.

That's it for today, as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

A good start, and coming along nicely. I like the idea with the seat strap webbing, although if I remember correctly when working on Chinooks we used to unstrap the straps in the window areas as the window were classed as emergency exits.

• Like 1