Bristol Sycamore - AMP 1/48 Update

Ciao, waiting to complete my two 1/32 Bf109, I'm taking some moment of relax, building another chopper!
The Bristol Type 171 Sycamore, it's the typical ugly but fascinating.

The kit is in 1/48scale from the prolific Ukrainian brand AMP, I had already built their Sikorsky HOS-1, a few months ago and I must say that also this Sycamore is not bad.
Fine details and engraved panel lines, the only drawback is the presence of numerous molding burrs on many parts, probably cause of a mold not particularly accurate, but in a "short run" kit there can be acetable.
A small flaw because the kit looks very well designed!
I'll have to work of the cutter and sandpaper adding extra time to the clean-up prior to building.

I am very undecided on the color, between kit's  white / blue  RAN Royal Australian Navy or a RAF yellow overall , of which I have no decals but that I could easily print at home.
Accept suggestions!

47155567312_cb1eb45ffd_b.jpg

pics came from:
https://www.helis.com/database/cn/48198/
https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/sycamore/bristol-sycamore.htm
https://www.flightglobalimages.com/cutaways/military-aviation-1946-present-cutaways/bristol-171-sycamore-cutaway-drawing-4641234.html

I start to assemble the two fuselages and the main transparent parts with white glue to check the fit ....
47155570102_09b8f724a3_b.jpg

the most boring job for me is to clean them from the burrs of molding, I also put some pieces of yellow tape on the glass to protect them from scratches in this brute stage of the work....

46293046545_96904de2bc_b.jpg

the assembly of the front part appears rather complex, I prefer to do some dry tests first to check that everything fits well and not have any surprise once the parts are painted ....

46293097265_23e57dc642_b.jpg

I added some small details to the seats .........

47207540781_15b4a49c9e_b.jpg

46484200464_0c1c0ea756_b.jpg

40242744183_5b6fda873f_b.jpg

47207560161_b1035b6d4d_b.jpg

40242748383_6e14b4aa5e_b.jpg

tomorrow I will continue with the rear seats and the central instrument console.
Sebastiano

Edited by Sebastiano Tringali
none
  • Like 28

• 3 months later...

Another little slow update on the Sycamore.

I tried to scratchbuilt the structure of the rear seats with round 0.4mm profiles like evergreen and simulate the fabric of the seats with 0.10 mm "texturized" sheet metal. To reproduce the canvas effect, I simply heated the sheet on a candle and pressed it with the wooden handle of the brush on a squared bottom (like Ikea cutting board).
The result was satisfactory, I will try to exalt it in the painting stage ....

spacer.png[/img]

At this point I fixed all the interior parts for a fit test.........................

spacer.png

and finally I tried to put the entire cockpit in the fuselage already glued .......

spacer.png

That's all for now, but I have to say that this little short run is really enjoying me.

See you soon with other progress!
Sebastiano

• Like 22

This looks like a superb little model, and although in 1/48 scale (I normally do 1/72), is very tempting to try. The level of surface detail looks very good.

Will follow this with interest.

Terry

Very nice work and excellent photography! I did not know what a Bristol Sycamore was until your post. It really does look like a graceful Dragonfly. Can't wait to see more of it.

Neat work, it looks like a good kit, I must invest in one. My first 'ride' in a chopper as a young Air Cadet in the UK. Three and a half hours out of Ballykeppy NI.

Colin

• Like 1

Definitely have to get one or two of these.

Worked on XD.653 & XA.220 in the RANFAA museum and have

XR.592 parked in the shed.

Shout out if you want reference pics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

We want reference pics please!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Definitely have to get one or two of these.

Worked on XD.653 & XA.220 in the RANFAA museum and have

XR.592 parked in the shed.

Excellent idea Steve !!

I'm now looking for 2 of these choppers !!

One FAA one and the other one will be a Katangese one !!

Excellent job Sebastiano !

I'll follow this usefull thread !

Thanks for sharing !!

CC

• 1 month later...

Mine arrived on Saturday, it’s going to be built as the Suez veteran that is on display at Middle Wallop. ie a 1950’s paint scheme and a 1960’s liaison interior complete with light blue leatherette side walls and headlining.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was going to start this today, I find the first step is assemble the instrument panel. The number for the decal in the instructions is #2, wrong, on the decal sheet it is #26 and it’s too big and doesn’t match the holes in the PE. Also, the instructions says part C61 is part of the assembly, doesn’t show it, I found it on the sprue though, it’s the shroud above the instrument panel. Can I expect more inaccuracies like this as I proceed ?

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, Faraway said:

I was going to start this today, I find the first step is assemble the instrument panel. The number for the decal in the instructions is #2, wrong, on the decal sheet it is #26 and it’s too big and doesn’t match the holes in the PE. Also, the instructions says part C61 is part of the assembly, doesn’t show it, I found it on the sprue though, it’s the shroud above the instrument panel. Can I expect more inaccuracies like this as I proceed ?

Jon

Yes probably. After all it is a short run model. Pay close attention to the alignment of the various parts of the fuselage. Better to dry test all parts before assembly to check that they fit smoothly. For example, I had to insert a thickness of plasticard between the two valves of the tail trunk because this was a little narrower than the corresponding front part with which it was going to match.

46293097265_23e57dc642_b.jpg

• Like 6