New Apollo 11 film

bentwaters81tfw

Saw a link to this last night - I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I've always got time for a bit of Real Space documentary.  I still need to watch First Man of course too :hmmm:

Channel 4 did a documentary for the tenth anniversary with film clips (not just of Apollo 11) set to Mike Oldfield music. One scene that sticks in my mind is the Saturn V being moved to the launch pad to the music from the Orchestral Tubular Bells. The link below is to that actual scene. Crank up the volume!

• Like 1

The footage has been given the Peter Jackson treatment so where this will score over other documentaries is the quality of the images. I'll definitely try to see it in the cinema.

Saw "First Man" a couple of days ago and I would give it a 7 out 10. It just wasn't engaging enough for me - although the technical bits were (mostly) well done.

Watched First Man last night. I suspect I was expecting more having read the book of the same name. Its a good film and I am glad I did not pay good money at the cinema to see it.

I think maybe a different title may have been more appropriate. Each to their own I suppose.

Keith

I saw Apollo 11 today at the NASM in DC. It was made slightly difficult by the fact I had my 4 year old daughter with me. While she was pretty good, i mostly had at least one eye her way to keep her happy (ie quiet).

That said, I really enjoyed the movie and thoroughly recommend you see it on an IMAX screen if you can. The way it's done is great, and while I have seen almost every space documentary there is, I thought this was fresh. The launch in particular is done in a new (or at least, new-ish) way, and the whole thing manages to avoid the standard tropes and standard quotes and offer a new take on the story. For much of it you really feel like you're in the room, and more than many such docos it gives you a tremendous sense of the scale of Apollo including the vast number of people involved. There's a fantastic tracking shot through mission control that does this, for example. All those men in identical clothes! The approach to the landing and the landing itself is quite exciting too, even if you've seen that footage before.

It's nothing like "For All Mankind" and that's good. The two films are different approaches to the same thing, and they are both very good.

So all in all I wish I could go back and see it again with full concentration but I'm very glad I saw it. 

recommend you all see it and on the big screen if you can.

• Like 1