PL.11 Bennett (Waitomo) Airtruck 1960 - scratchbuild in 1:48

ianwau

DSC00830

DSC00833

Work in progress on this unusual 1960's New Zealand topdresser - the PL.11 Bennett Airtruck  (this one technically the Waitomo Airtruck ZK-CKE). Scratchbuild. 1:48.  Cowl, windscreen and tail just tacked on for the photo.  Designer was Luigi Pellarini who also penned the PL.11 Transavia Airtruk

DSC00827

• Like 16

39 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

that was Moa's on this very forum.

Damn, I think I missed that Zac, though I did see where he asked for help on one of the WoNZ PL.11 threads, best I go look for it. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

What great progress !

I've got the Sharkit Transavia PL.12, all resin, in the stash, must summon the courage to make a start on it.

In the meantime, gonna be assiduously following this build.

Where do we go for decals, I wonder.......

Rog

• 1 month later...

On the home stretch now....

Decals applied (still to clear coat) - and plenty of detail items to add.  Decals have been laser printed (after a bit of fettling with MS Powerpoint!)  Pretty happy with the way this is coming together.

DSC00970DSC00968DSC00967

DSC00965

• Like 7

Calling it done! Guess that means I have to post it in RFI??  (sorry, I'm a bit new here). 

Hang on - I need some exhaust stains.  Not quite RFI!!  But these pix will give you the idea....

DSC00978

DSC00980

DSC00981

Here's the now completed line up of the 3 generations of Pellarini's cropdusters.   PL.7 1956  PL.11 1960   PL.12 1965   All in 1:48.  All Scratchbuilt.

DSC00986

• Like 8

Fantastic, I do like your PL11, it has had a special place in my heart since I saw it in the  1963 Observers Aircraft book, cor,  a Kiwi plane. :)  Yours catches the look to a T to my eye, as do the rest of the line up, flipping magic. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:18 AM, Moa said:

Excellent builds!

I am looking to build it in 1/72, could you please tell me where did you get the plan? I only have a very basic one.

Coincidentally, I also scratchbuilt the PL-7 long ago:

Hi Moa - no coincidence.  Your PL.7 of 10+yrs ago inspired my 1:48 PL.7.  Which led to the PL.11 1:48 scratchbuild.   Plans are derived from some very rough plans on a PL.11 video - and some fine tuning vs photos and from the build itself.   PM me and I will provide  (they'll be part of an Australian Plastic Modellers Association (APMA) build article imminently). Cheers!

• Like 1