ICM 1:48 P-51A Mustang

First model completed for 2019! And unlike my last model, I didn't drop this one putting it into the display case. Rest in peace Fokker E.V.

This is ICM's adequate P-51A. There is flash. Soft detail. Almost a complete lack of alignment pins for parts. The canopy is by far the worst component. There is no option for an open canopy. Though the cockpit is sparse so not a big deal. But holy hell the canopy is thick. Weirdly, it does come with flattened main tires which is nice. I would hope the Accurate Miniatures P-51A is overall nicer.

Anyhoo I didn't make a ton of modifications to this one. I did reposition the tail wheel. Replaced the gun barrels with some brass tube I had lying around. The kit did not include a DF antenna for some reason so that was scratchbuilt.

By far the most important aspect of this model for me was the painting. A while ago I purchased a Silhouette Portrait 2 vinyl cutter. All the markings you see on the Mustang are painted on. Either masked with tape or using custom vinyl masks designed by me and cut on my new toy. I had intended to use the kit decals for the stencils on the props as that's too fine for my machine to cut. But I managed to wreck one during application so that put an end to that lol.

Now with that out of the way, here's some photos. Please ignore the garbage job I did installing the canopy. Aaaand the fact the OD should be faded more. And the one fingerprint. Just... just go with it.

47161953292_dcb7273340_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3604 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

32271751387_8d344b87ab_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3612 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

40249110193_f45cb7b53c_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3617 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

40249109323_927e08360d_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3628 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

The distinctive exhaust stains seen on CBI Mustangs took quite a few tries to get right. In the end I airbushed on some Tamiya brown. But most of the staining was achieved by airbrushing on Mig pigments, then streaking them with a damp brush.

40249108603_a5236aeed7_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3629 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

40249107913_faeb047a7a_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3633 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

The name on the nose took quite a few tries to get the Silhouette Portrait to cut it just right. The mask was very small and intricate. The trickiest mask I've had it cut to date. And I needed two as there is a red layer followed by white. The original aircraft didn't have noseart but thought it would be a nice touch and a good experiment

40249107283_13a829359b_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3638 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

40249106753_3bb81ee775_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3665 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

I'm no expert on Mustangs. So I hope that filling in most of the panel lines on the wings upper surface is accurate. And if it isn't. Too late now!

40249105973_927fa1486b_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3667 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

32271746487_712e5ab6dc_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3671 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

47161943712_d5cae329ca_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3690 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

47161942682_2079856cfa_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3695 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

The propeller was quite thick so I spent some time sanding it thinner.

47161941352_65fb1ff269_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3719 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

40249101553_8c0f745ae5_b.jpg20190224-MJS_3720 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

-matt

Edited by M_Sinclair
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 2

I wouldn't be brave enough to try this level of weathering - but I think you've totally pulled it off here. I've seen reference photos with crazy exhaust stains like this but always thought it would look terrible on a model. I can see now that I was quite wrong about that.  The Olive Drab works for me too - it's visibly faded and looks realistic. There's enough here to completely overlook any perceived flaws. I didn't notice anything wrong with the canopy until I read your intro (yes I look at the photos first) 

Well done :)

• Like 2

Nice build and a good job on the masking, those portrait cutters can do nice things..

You where curious about the accurate kit being better and i have to tell you that these icm’s are actually nock offs from the accurate miniatures but they changed a few things to make it an easyer build like the one piece fuselage half..

So maybe they are a little softer in detail but they still are quite good ..

The fit of the accurate miniatures canopy was very bad so i decided to buy a Rob Tourus canopy for the ICM kit and that one fits perfectly..

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Like it, Dirty Kristen!! (I think that's a Clarkson fantasy but I can borrow it too for a bit if he's not using it for the moment!).

The mention of that fingerprint has started the world's biggest game of Modellers' Where's Wally.

I have to say that the weathering works for me too.  Top bombing for the home-made markings; you must be well chuffed with them.

Is the AM one going to be an RAF bird?  Have got two 1A's in the stash (as well as the Revell RAF boxing of this one) so do need someone to neb some ideas off of. 

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch everyone! I am extremely chuffed with how well the vinyl masks came out! While it certainly took more time compared to decals, the masks were really satisfying. Plus I could weather them much more easily.

I don't have the AM P-51A just yet but I do want to build one in the future.

Oh! I re-uploaded the Mustang photos! After having a second look once I put them online they looked a touch dark and yellow. So hopefully they are a little better now. Someday I will calibrate my monitor to make this aspect of modelling easier.

-matt

I love the look of the Allison engined Mustangs.  This is a perfect rendition of one and looks just like it jumped off the page of the ole 'Super-Profile' book I have.

• Like 1

Top result!

There's no real right or wrong when it comes to paint. I'm guessing planes in wartime were faded and repainted or just touched up here and there, as and when the opportunity arose when in the out in the field. And as for weathering, it's anyone's guess!

• Like 1

hi,

that's a stunning build, congratulations :thumbsup:. Airbrushing pigments turns out very nice,

I never tried this. How did you thin them ? Was the airbrush easy to clean afterwards ?

best,

Christian.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cger said:

hi,

that's a stunning build, congratulations :thumbsup:. Airbrushing pigments turns out very nice,

I never tried this. How did you thin them ? Was the airbrush easy to clean afterwards ?

best,

Christian.

Thanks! I used Mig pigments thinned with some tap water. I sprayed on a scrap model first to see when the consistency seemed about right. Clean up was a breeze! 

Nice thing is is that if you screw up you can simply wipe it off and try again. Which I did a couple times. When I was satisfied I sprayed several light coats of Migs pigment fixer to hold it in place. 

-matt