1:72 Twin Otter & Chipmunk builds

Astel

Just getting back into building model planes after a break of a few years. I'm kind of learning as I go along and trying to make a decent job, but I'm a slow builder. I like civilian aircraft and trainer planes. Last year I started an Airfix 1:72 Chipmunk but I think I sickened myself of it trying to rub down the rivet details and never got very far. A few weeks ago I saw the Revell DHC-6 Twin Otter and bought it. The Twin Otter is going to be finished in a British Airways livery (like the ones that were flying between Glasgow, Barra and Benbecula. The Chipmunk is going to be finished in the overall black scheme that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight had a few years back.

I put a coat of NATO black inside the Chipmunk fuselage halves tonight and sanded down some more rivets on the underside of the wings. I managed to scratch the canopy when I was cutting it out of the sprue. Polished it up a bit with toothpaste but now there is a very fine haze, it's not crystal clear. I saw some videos about dipping clear parts in a floor polish to mask imperfections so I might give that a go nearer the time for fitting it.

With the Twin Otter I've filled in a few sink marks in the fuselage halves as best I can over a few nights this week. Tonight I started putting in the windows, managed to tip over the small plastic bottle of adhesive, so decided to call it a night before I did anymore damage 🙂

The two models...

Boxes

Filling in some sink marks on the Twin Otter fuselage...

Sinks1

The story so far...

Twin Otter & Chippie 1

• Like 12

Welcome back!

Nice filling on the sink marks there :) 

I started on BM a few years ago and I've certainly learned a lot from the members.

Canopy scratches? It might be worth investing in some Micro-mesh pads - it's magic stuff and many use it for repairs on clear parts as well as final finishes.

Floor polish is the famous Klear/Future stuff; it's worth getting hold of some as you can use it not only for canopies but also to gloss the model prior to applying the decals / transfers. It took me a long time to be convinced about this but having a very smooth finish for the decals avoids problems with silvering (think bubbles trapped under the film). You can then finish and seal everything with a final coat of varnish - Windsor and Newton Galeria is pretty good value and pots of matt and satin will last you ages.

HTH

Ced

• Like 4

If you follow the words of the much esteemed Ced you won't go far wrong

Modelling after a long break?

Oh boy isn't it great to be back home, huh?

I fooled myself I'd finished with it for over thirty years, got involved with 'the doc' on another forum discussing what I used to do, before I even noticed I was detailing a Frog Typhoon to within an inch of its life

Gee but its great to be...

Good to have you with us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting projects I'll take a seat and watch these progress!

Welcome back to the hobby and if you have any problems someone on here will have the answer or at least point you in the right direction

Roger 

• Like 1

Welcome back to the hobby and nice subject material. Many folk on here, including myself, are on a similar trajectory. It is one you won't regret, albeit it can be addictive. Here is a link to one of our colleague's  (sadly he hasn't posted stuff on here for a while) kit bash of the Aifix offering. It's a tough act to follow, but hopefully it will be a source of inspiration, ideas, hints and tips: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932824-airfix-chipmunk-t10-172/ 

As per Ced's comments, you'll be able to sort out the transparency scratches. Looking forward to seeing these two builds develop.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Welcome back @Astel!

I had a small hand in contractual stuff for the Twin Otters that go to Barra so good to see one built here. Got a chipmunk project in the stash too so will look in at this one. 👍 

Coool avatar too, btw

W-D 

Hiya, that's interesting! Loganair's G-BVVK in Flybe livery was on Highland Airports on BBC Alba tonight 🙂 I think I'll be doing the same plane in BA markings.

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Welcome back!

Nice filling on the sink marks there :) 

I started on BM a few years ago and I've certainly learned a lot from the members.

Canopy scratches? It might be worth investing in some Micro-mesh pads - it's magic stuff and many use it for repairs on clear parts as well as final finishes.

Floor polish is the famous Klear/Future stuff; it's worth getting hold of some as you can use it not only for canopies but also to gloss the model prior to applying the decals / transfers. It took me a long time to be convinced about this but having a very smooth finish for the decals avoids problems with silvering (think bubbles trapped under the film). You can then finish and seal everything with a final coat of varnish - Windsor and Newton Galeria is pretty good value and pots of matt and satin will last you ages.

HTH

Ced

Thank you for your kind words and thanks for the great tips as well - I have lots to learn! My biggest problem will be finishing, painting and applying decals - but there's lots to do before I'm ready for that 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, perdu said:

If you follow the words of the much esteemed Ced you won't go far wrong

Modelling after a long break?

Oh boy isn't it great to be back home, huh?

I fooled myself I'd finished with it for over thirty years, got involved with 'the doc' on another forum discussing what I used to do, before I even noticed I was detailing a Frog Typhoon to within an inch of its life

Gee but its great to be...

Good to have you with us

Thank you Perdu. I was at high school when I last did any model aeroplanes - so that's thirty years ago or thereabouts! Yes, it's good to be back working on kits 🙂

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Interesting projects I'll take a seat and watch these progress!

Welcome back to the hobby and if you have any problems someone on here will have the answer or at least point you in the right direction

Roger 

Thanks Roger - I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions just shortly haha 🙂

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Welcome back to the hobby and nice subject material. Many folk on here, including myself, are on a similar trajectory. It is one you won't regret, albeit it can be addictive. Here is a link to one of our colleague's  (sadly he hasn't posted stuff on here for a while) kit bash of the Aifix offering. It's a tough act to follow, but hopefully it will be a source of inspiration, ideas, hints and tips: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932824-airfix-chipmunk-t10-172/ 

As per Ced's comments, you'll be able to sort out the transparency scratches. Looking forward to seeing these two builds develop.

Hi Tomoshenko, addicitive - yes, I have a DH88 Comet Racer up in the loft too, however I think I need to improve my basic skills a lot before I look at it. I keep looking up planes I like and seeing if there's a model of it available, this could be dangerous 🙂 Oh my goodness, the detail in Fritag's Chippie is fantastic! I won't be getting anywhere near that (I won't have any cockpit detail - although it would be nice to put something in there just to fill in the areas where the instrument panels are. I've always had a soft spot for the Chipmunk. I've never flown in one, although I did get to sit in one when I was a young lad - couldn't see over the instrument panel, I loved the smell 🙂

Meanwhile back in the Maintenance Hangar, here's tonight's efforts. Not much to report really, fitted the fuselage windows into the Twin Otter's fuselage halves. They'll need some work next time, I need to fill in some gaps at the cockpit side glazing in particular. I glued the Chipmunk's wings together too.

25-02

• Like 4

Yes welcome back, I too was quite fanatical in my teens and then with work family life etc stoped modelling for over 30 years, but I'm now back with a vengeance ( well maybe not that agressively) and thoroughly enjoying the hobby again. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Another couple of hours in the Maintenance Hangar over the past few evenings.

Twin Otter cockpit built, painted and decals applied. I messed up with the lap belt decals, so left them off, need to take more care. The cockpit is installed now and the interior surfaces painted. Not happy with my choice of 'light grey' - it's way too dark really. I know it's hand painted and the finish isn't great. The wing halves are built and the engine cowlings fitted, one side is ok, the other will need some more attention with filler and sanding.

Chipmunk wing assembled, some filler applied and sanded back as carefully as I could at the wing tips. I know the seats are way-off scale-wise, I will live with that, the cockpit canopy will be slid shut.

DSCF6424

DSCF6427

DSCF6429

DSCF6425

DSCF6421

DSCF6423

• Like 5

Only a few hours in this week. Twin Otter fuselage halves are now together and I have a lot of filler work to do. The wings and engine pods are built up and some filler work done. Lots of work to do around the windscreen with filler yet. (I managed to loose the panel detail on the engine pods so I need to be more careful.) I bonded some fishing weights into the Twin Otter nose section with white pva.

The Chipmunk wings are together, I made up a couple of joysticks from fusewire and glued them in, not great but better than not having any. I cut a couple of instrument panel plates and blanking plates that will sit behind the seats. Also on the Chipmunk I've filled in the slot for the kit exhaust, I'll try my best to put in a later style exhaust. I opened out the intake at the front of the engine cowling, that was nerve-wracking, not done that before.

DSCF6432

DSCF6435

DSCF6438

DSCF6441

DSCF6444

• Like 4