Airfix CH-46-Swedish style.

stevej60

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

As Nigel said, WOW!

That is looking excellent Steve, I understand why your eyes are shot after painting that splinter scheme so you go and enjoy a couple of days off before doing the other side.

Very neat straight lines on the splinter by the way, did you mask them or use a very steady hand and a brush?

Thank's Craig all freehand painting like it used to be!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thank's a lot folk's,I thought as there's a bit more natural light tonight in the loft I'd plod on a bit more so other side done, glossed 

the first side to try those decal's which glad to say worked fine,back in the box now I'll sit back and watch some other build's,I popped

into my LMS as I was out of a good few paint's etc and picked up Airfix's Vampire so I'll go and inflict myself on the good folk in the trainer;s

GB.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Freehand???? Makes it even more impressive!!

Seriously Steve - That's amazing :worthy:

Many thank's Nigel,to be honest with that rivetting it would have taken more time to tidy up paint bleeding under the mask than build the kit!

• Haha 2

Add another WOW from me!  That looks the biz. Very impressive painting- just the very thought of trying to paint splinter camo scares me.  Kudos sir!!

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, stevej60 said:

Why oh why didn't I go for the US machine? my eyesight is getting to far gone for this,that aside it does look eyecatching really, looking now

I should really have gone more gray than NATO black but it's only a bit of fun so I wont loose sleep over it.One side done I'll have a few days rest

before the other!

20190304_130401

I'd say, I'd say that's one helluva paint job there.

Steady hand and a sharp eye for a straight line, we'll make a helicopter pilot of you yet.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Steady hand and a sharp eye for a straight line, we'll make a helicopter pilot of you yet.

Thank's Robertone,I did have the pleasure of a Puma flight a few year's ago and that's as far as I'd go!

Anyway just a look at her under gloss and decal's.

20190306_111816

20190306_111830

• Like 11

That looks fantastic Steve. I was going to go the HB way for one of these but you can't do a Swede with them. No sponsons & I do so want to do this camo so it'll be back to Airfix for one.

Steve.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks fantastic Steve. I was going to go the HB way for one of these but you can't do a Swede with them. No sponsons & I do so want to do this camo so it'll be back to Airfix for one.

Steve.

Remember Steve this eighties boxing followed the kit's change to snap fit which isn't an issue other than I think the glazing was spoiled as the tabs

are molded right where the side window's are(Imust remember to post a photo),I'd go for an earlier boxing but not sure the splinter scheme was

in use  when the kit was released.

@stevej60 The cockpit glazing us one of the few pieces I have left from my build of 50 odd years ago so that might come in handy. The splinter scheme would be the main motivation for going this way otherwise the HB one would probably be easier but other than the big sponsons, I think there're differences in the rear rotor pylon.

Steve

• Like 1

Modeller's of a nervous disposition look away! This is what you get in the form of the glazing,air bubbles,poor detailing and those molded

tab's for the snap fit.Let's see what can be done.

20190307_095316

• Sad 5

21 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Modeller's of a nervous disposition look away! This is what you get in the form of the glazing,air bubbles,poor detailing and those molded

tab's for the snap fit.Let's see what can be done.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

That cockpit has more bubbles than an Aero bar Steve!

I don't suppose any of them will be covered by framing will they?

@stevehnz, There are different rear pylons fitted to HKP-4's they were delivered with the original pylon but some at least had the same rear pylon fitted as the USMC versions, of course that still leaves the issue of the sponsons and also the engine exhaust as the HB exhaust is the wrong shape for the Gnome exhaust which is round as per the KV-107 and earlier CH-46's. Would love for you to build your kit as part of this GB :) .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Would love for you to build your kit as part of this GB :) .

I don't have the kit yet but do have one on the radar, I'll need to work my way through the chat & study the various photos of 04068 on Airliners.net in her different guises to see what version the kit is. If I can make it all come together there is a chance you'll see me here but no guarantees. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That cockpit has more bubbles than an Aero bar Steve!

I don't suppose any of them will be covered by framing will they?

Not all of them Craig but I think I can live with it.

• Like 1

Morning folk's,quick update on where I am with this one,.Fitted the main 

cockpit but not the seat's or IP yet,I was again looking at photo's of the real thing and let out a cry of "Oh no",the missus came running in wondering if

I had had an accident and to the question what's the matter? Got the reply "the bl***y Swedes painted the rotor blade's splinter"!She turned in silence

and walked away.Anyway the top of the blade's have now been re-painted and splintered,decal's nearly done even underneath.

20190309_124137

Now done folk's.

20190309_124114

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 10