Kinetic 1/48 T-45C: Almost ended up in the trash bin

Started this kit back in November 2018, thought it was going to be an easy OOB build....boy was I wrong.  Anyone who has built this kit knows the intakes are the worst...and the wing to fuselage join is just a PITA.  I struggled with this build all Winter, messing up some of the painting (hurried my masking and made the red a little too red).  Overall it's a 3 footer for the display case it will go in.  Honestly I don't recommend this kit.

DSCN8391.jpg

DSCN8390.jpg

DSCN8393.jpg

DSCN8392.jpg

DSCN8459.jpg

DSCN8451.jpg

DSCN8452.jpg

DSCN8456.jpg

DSCN8453.jpg

DSCN8463.jpg

DSCN8455.jpg

Edited by Collin
spelling
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 1

Despite your problems with the fitting, your result looks great, but it seems it is really a bad kit which belong into a shredder. The same experience i made with the F-86K Dog Sabre by Special Hobby, its the same trash.

that one turned out great!

glad you did not bin it! ;)

although you do not recommend it, it turned out looking absolutely like a T-45!  and it is by far the best kit out there....

25 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Looks good. 

Thanks for the heads up, I've just started building one this weekend for the Trainers Group Build.

PM me if you need any tips. 

You will need to shim between the "Y" intake tubing and the fuselage to that is at least comes CLOSE to matching up with the intake pieces.  That should help also with the top wing root join which has a nasty gap.  I painted my "Y" intake piece black because that far down the intake you can't see anything anyway.  Once you get that "Y" intake tubing in place, that should help.  Regardless, even if you get the intakes and tubing aligned, and fuselage to wing root gap reduced....you will put the fuselage and the wings together and you will STILL have the gaps/uneven surfaces that you have on the lower body which are just way ugly (see my first few photos).  

Cheers

Collin

• 1 month later...

Very good build for this. 

Inspired me to build one.

Thanks for the heads up on the tricky parts. I'll take care with the intakes. 

Colin 

Hello Collin,

A good thing you did not trash it.

What a spledid, fresh looking trainer.

Regards, Orion/The Netherlands.