Academy versus Frog

AMStreet

Digging through my cache in search of inspiration I came across an Academy 1/72 Avenger kit. 

On looking at the parts a thought struck me that they looked awfully similar to those in a Frog kit which I also have.  so I checked the two kits out.  Apart from recessed panel lines and a few minor differences, the parts of the two kits are pretty much interchangeable.  Can anyone tell me if Academy got hold of the Frog moulds after Frog went bust or are they some sort of clone?

I believe the Academy Avenger, P-40B, and F4F-4 kits were cloned from the Frog kits; they were "improved" with scribed panel lines and better transparencies. IIRC, their Fw-190A was also cloned from either the Frog or Revell kits. Several of the earlier generation Academy kits were knock-offs from various kit manufacturers. IIRC, there was a shape/contour issue on the Avenger where the rear fuselage met the fin strake/fin. Don't have the kit any more, so can't compare it to the Hasegawa or Airfix  kits.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

Note that the Academy Avenger still has only the bubble side windows of the original Frog kit, despite not offering a FAA option.  NB also the Frog style stand.

Most of the earliest Academy kits were tweaked versions of Frog kits.  Engraved panel lines was a very obvious change.  The P-40B was further tarted up with detail parts (eg undercarriage) "borrowed" from the Hasegawa P-40E.

Thanks for all the replies.

It was as Seahawk says the blister windows that first made me think about the similarities between the two kits.  Checking the few available plans I have there are some problems with the tail end of the two models but nothing that some work with a razor saw and plastic card won't fix. 

One problem I can't seem to get an answer to is the observer's cockpit.  I have been unable to find any references to the layout of this area.  Now I know that the USN did not use this but the FAA did and as I intend to make one of the models as a Tarpon I would like to know how it was fitted.  Any pointers to reference material would be of great help.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, AMStreet said:

One problem I can't seem to get an answer to is the observer's cockpit.  I have been unable to find any references to the layout of this area.  Now I know that the USN did not use this but the FAA did and as I intend to make one of the models as a Tarpon I would like to know how it was fitted.  Any pointers to reference material would be of great help.  Thanks.

You're not the first to ask the question nor the first not to get an answer: it's one of those holy grail questions for FAA modellers.  The most I know is that there was a table in front of the seat with a radar set on it and, I think, a handwheel for training the wingmounted radar aerials.  Your best bet is to look up some of the large scale build threads by @tonyot from a few years back where he used his best judgement on what the area looked like, based on glimpses from film footage and the like.

PS Changing the title of thread might draw a better response to that question.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:17 AM, Seahawk said:

Most of the earliest Academy kits were tweaked versions of Frog kits. 

Most early (pre-1990) Korean kits were tweaked versions of other companies' kits, so not confined to Academy. but Fujimi and Hasegawa (for aircraft) were rather more prolific as "masters" than Frog, of which only the four kits quoted were used (and it has been claimed somewhere Academy's B-17 wings and engines also owe a lot to Frog).

@72modeler, the 190 you are referring to may actually be the Hobbycraft (or was it Idea ? Both actually...), which had an "artistic Impression" of the Leynwood boxart off the original Revell issue.

10 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Most early (pre-1990) Korean kits were tweaked versions of other companies' kits, so not confined to Academy. but Fujimi and Hasegawa (for aircraft) were rather more prolific as "masters" than Frog, of which only the four kits quoted were used (and it has been claimed somewhere Academy's B-17 wings and engines also owe a lot to Frog).

@72modeler, the 190 you are referring to may actually be the Hobbycraft (or was it Idea ? Both actually...), which had an "artistic Impression" of the Leynwood boxart off the original Revell issue.

That makes sense, now! Good eye!

Mike

And less successfully the Tempest and Storch.  Given a choice I would always go for the Heller original: the details e.g. Aileron mass balances are heavier on Academy and Those Who Know say the Academy Tempest is less accurate, perhaps suggesting it was heavily influenced by rather than cloned from the Heller kit.

Academy was pretty notorious as 'copier with slight changes' in their early days. Besides the aircraft, most of their early 1/35 armor kits were direct ripoffs of their Tamiya counterparts. And not as good. I recall them selling, though, as genuine Tamiya kits were through the roof priced back in the days when MRC was their US distributor. Note that while sleazy and not condoning it, I'm not picking on Academy alone; quite a few companies got their start copying someone else's work in the plastic model industry. 

Actually, even for the T-6 I'd go for the Heller kit over the Academy kit.  It's a case of buyer preference: if you want engraved panel lines, go Academy.  Personally I put up with the delicately raised panel lines in the Heller kit for the sake of the more delicately moulded detail parts eg rollover bar.  But there's not much in it.