Anger? Nope. FURY!

It's been a while since I did a WIP (mainly due to only having time for sporadic modelling) but here's my latest challenge:

DSCF4034

Should be an easy build. No wait.... That come later.

DSCF4036

This is going to be pretty much OOB, but with these additions:

DSCF4037

So lets make a start.

DSCF4038

Cockpit bits assembled. I've removed the ejection marks from the cockpit floor.

DSCF4039

And then everything necessary received a coat of Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black, followed by X-22 Clear.

Now to leave it alone for a bit to allow the varnish to harden, then a little detail painting followed by a little weathering.

• Like 5

Good Idea !!

I must resist to start mines, I must resist to start mines….

How did taste the beer, is that a Brown one ??

So'I'll follow if you Don't mind it.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, a little more work. I've applied the instruments to the panel. They come nicely in separate groups.

DSCF4042

Couple of them appear to have slipped...

Before I can close the fuselage, the spar needs painting. I used XF-57 buff. I also painted the wheel well, and engine cowling interior. The wheel well received a light weathering with a Flory dirt wash.

DSCF4044

I also painted the engine with xf-56 metallic grey, and added a black wash to accentuate the cylinders.

DSCF4043

That'll do for now.

• Like 5

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:32, corsaircorp said:

Good Idea !!

I must resist to start mines, I must resist to start mines….

How did taste the beer, is that a Brown one ??

So'I'll follow if you Don't mind it.

Sincerely.

CC

Quelle surprise! At the very whiff of ale, as if by magic, CC appears!

4 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

You are most welcome CC, glad to have you along.

The beer isn't a Brown Ale, but a Bitter. Haven't had it yet but certainly looking forward to it.

It's really nice, they serve the stuff at our MVS watering hole and it certainly passed it's intensive flying trials with this particular alien as well as most of the rest of the unit. It should fuel your build very nicely indeed. The sacrifices I make for BM! 🙄

Good start on the plastic Fury as well.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've finished putting the cockpit together and stuck it to one of the side walls. There are some nice locating marks to help you line it up, and it fits these snugly.

DSCF4046

Whilst this was setting, I glued the wheel well assembly to the under-wing thingy (not getting too technical I hope?)

DSCF4047

This didn't sit too well, so clamps were used to hold it whilst the glue dried.

Adding the wheel wells showed an interesting problem.

DSCF4048

Yeah, they're going to be knocked off. I must over-engineer a solution!

DSCF4049

I remembered to drill out the mounting holes for all the bits that will be added later. Yay me!

And all nicely stuck together.

DSCF4050

The instructions would have you add the spar part to one half and then glue the two halves together. I found it much easier to glue them together and then slip the spar part in, again there are some nice marks moulded in to align the piece. Much easier.

Whilst sanding the join, I removed some panels on the nose area. Easily re-instated with some Tamiya tape, which was soaked in a little TET to help hold it. The paint will also help later.

I know the line is very visible, but I can't feel it if I scratch a nail across it. Weird.

That's it for tonight.

• Like 5

Today's work started with the engine cowling. This wasn't a very good fit and ended up with a lot of sanding to get it looking right.

Unfortunately, this included losing some detail which was replaced with microstrip.

DSCF4051

Whilst the glue on the cowling was setting, I added the top of the wings and the wingfold parts.

DSCF4052

I also glued the outer wings and the horizontal stabilisers together.

DSCF4053

You can just see that I've decided to fill and re-sand that line on the top of the fuselage. I know it'll come back and haunt me if I didn't....

And I couldn't resist having a quick preview.

DSCF4054

The undercarriage and wheelwell covers were then assembled.

DSCF4055

As was the tail wheel housing and oleo. The wheel will be added after painting.

DSCF4056

And finally everything was painted with Ultimate Primer black

DSCF4058

As you can see, I've added the Camera pod and a fuel tank, and redone the small panels on the fuselage (should have done them before the primer... damn.)

I'm going to try the Black Basing effect, with marbled paint application (think of those lovely drawings your kids do/did as toddlers - lots of squiggles, then thin covering coats to blend it all together).

Might get a bit done in the morning before I set off to see my brother (who happily lives near Peterborough so I'm going to slide off for a couple of hours to go to the Model Show).

• Like 6

Thanks Riksbar. Think I'll give the flight a miss though - I have enough trouble fitting in a passenger jet plane seat, let alone something that size....

I managed to get some painting done this morning before I left.

DSCF4061

And when I returned I managed to add the EDSG. It isn't as pronounced as it is with the Sky, but there is some colour variation.

DSCF4062

And suitably happy with the result I couldn't resist trying some of the masks

DSCF4063

That's a stray hair on the 1, now removed. First time I've used masks (although I've cut my own for some Hinomaru) and I'm very impressed.

I'll need to match the colour for the two underwing numbers, and for the blue and red for the national markings (Roundels). Any suggestions folks?

• Like 4

I woke up in the early hours of the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. So what could I do but model!

There are two bare metal areas behind the exhausts, these were replicated using kitchen foil.

DSCF4064

Later when it got to a more sensible hour and I could fire up the compressor, I tackled the roundels. Using the large mask I first painted the white, then masked off the white and blue to spray the red. I then removed the blue mask and used Maskol to cover the red - I could have used the mask provided, but as I wanted to mask the edges I figured I may as well just Maskol the whole thing. And the end result:

DSCF4065

Unfortunately, I think this just about finishes the masks available (apart from the wheels) so a couple of coats of Tamiya Clear beckons before I add the decals and start a little light weathering.

• Like 6

Not much to report. Tamiya clear applied yesterday morning before I went to work for a ten hour shift...

This morning I have been applying the decals/transfers/stickers* which are going on quite nicely with a touch of the ol' Set & Sol.

Battery's flat in the camera so I'll get some pics up later today.

Then more Tamiya clear. Then onto a little weathering. Oh joy.

* Delete as appropriate

Edited by Bigdave22014
  • Like 1

Congratulations Dave !!

Great painting work !! Painted roundels look ace !! 

At first, I was amazed by the Black primer... Understanded Now 👍

She will look great !!

Have another Sea Fury on my behalf !!

This sentence will surely bring on a reaction from our Dear tentacled one... :whistle:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Well, I've got all those little labels on now, and she's had two coats of Tamiya X-22 clear.

DSCF4066

I had to mix some paint to get the colour for the underwing stencils, I managed to get very close to the colour on the decal sheet.

DSCF4068

They even provide some for the propellers.

DSCF4067

Now to let it all harden up overnight and tomorrow I'll set to and start making it dirty....

• Like 5

A quick coat of Flory Grime, left to dry a bit then wiped off. I then sprayed a little Tamiya Smoke to represent exhaust staining.

DSCF4069

All those little little extra bits that have to go on at the end were added, such as the rockets, propeller, wheels, canopy, lights, probe etc. were all added.

This one is now off to the RFI Section.

Now, what shall I do next?

• Like 4

That looks really nice, just in the last throes of building one myself, and found it to be a lovely kit to put together as long as you give it the due care and attention these new Airfix kits ask for.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Airgunner said:

That looks really nice, just in the last throes of building one myself, and found it to be a lovely kit to put together as long as you give it the due care and attention these new Airfix kits ask for.  

Oh yes. Very tight tolerances, so need to scrape mating surfaces clean of any paint.