1586 Polish Special Duties Flight Halifax

Rakovica

Hello,

I'm researching the Halifax JP 281 GR-L from the well known photo taken in Campo Casale Brindisi or Grottaglie, Italy and would like to build a 1/72 scale model of it.

5799645622_9aae54a048_b.jpg

First, I want to depict it as it appeared on the night of 21/22 July 1944 when it was attacked and damaged by a German nigh fighter near Belgrade, on the way to drop zone in Poland. The pilot P/O Henryk Kwiatkowski aborted the mission and managed to reach the home base. However, I'm a bit confused as I found a record that other Halifax JD 362 with identical squadron code GR - L was shot down over Hungary a month later, on 27 August 1944 with entire crew lost.

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/301/301_losses.html

At the other hand, other sources like the official Polish embassy in Budapest web page, listed JD 362 as squadron code GR - E, not L.

https://budapeszt.msz.gov.pl/pl/aktualnosci/szczatki_halifaxa_wracaja_do_polski?printMode=true

Now, as it seems unlikely to me there were two planes with the same squadron code at the same time, can someone solve this mystery please? Or maybe JP 281 carried a different letters when it was damaged near Belgrade?

15.jpg

Here's a shot of the pilot Kwiatkowski in front of JP 281, note the letter L on the fuselage.

The second question is which exactly out of several correction sets to use on my Revell 04670 Halifax B kit to fix the radiators and propellers as on the JP 281?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rakovica said:

which exactly out of several correction sets to use on my Revell 04670 Halifax B kit to fix the radiators and propellers

You need to review the evidence that the code on the top aircraft is in fact L. The squadron code and serial are fairly plain but............. however the second picture would convince me. More likely the written record of 301 squadron losses is a typo.

There are some  correction sets which make a partial improvement but they only correct the front of the nacelle and look a bit weird from some angles. The Aeroclub set is the best as it corrects the whole nacelle. Good luck finding one though. Perhaps the next best alternative is to contact the author of this  @FZ6

and ask him about the pictures. If that fails to impress you then perhaps thinning down the rear of the resin cowlings and modifying the rest of the nacelle might be the answer.

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick answer Ed. I would agree that probably the 301 squadron web page erroneously listed the squadron codes. Waiting for more clues.

Apparently, the much bigger problem will be the correction of messed up Revell's kit. They must be drunk or something while preparing the blueprints.

I may also use the Matchbox wings altogether with their engine nacelles.  We'll see.

• Like 1

The Matchbox wings can be used, but rescribe the upper part of the aileron to the same chord as the Revell lower part.

You can spend a lot of time cutting out the centre of the Matchbox radiator intake to provide sharp lips rather than the blunt ones, but it will improve the look enormously.

The Matchbox props are too thick and too broad.  That's a lot of reshaping if you can't get Aeroclub replacements.

The Matchbox Messier legs are puny, so build them up or find some way of fitting the Revell or Airfix ones. Use the Matchbox main and tail wheels.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll try to find the best solution. No hurry with this one.

One more question, the radiators on JP 281 shown on the photo above are of Morris type, is that right?

I wonder would it be possible to fit the AML set 72044 to the Matchbox nacelles? As I understood they should be expanded a little bit, as they are too narrow.

138574_0.jpg

I don't have that set, but looking at the photo I would assume so.  I think the spinners are too long and not conical enough.  You might be able to use the front of the Revell kit spinners, I did consider those for a while. it

It maybe that the Matchbox ones are a bit narrow. The Revell ones are wider, but looking at what happens in front of them I prefer Matchbox.  The AML fronts look as though they could be slimmed down to fit the Matchbox, but the intakes themselves appear a bit angular.  As in all things, look at the photographs and make your judgement.

Yes, they are known as Morris block radiators.

• Like 1

On 1st April 1943 an AM order reorganised 138 Special Duties Squadron into a 3 flight unit by the addition of ‘C’ (Polish) Flight. Seven of the most experienced crews from the disbanded 301 Squadron were posted there to join the Polish crews that had served with ‘A’ Flight. As far as the Polish Air Force were concerned it was ‘301 Squadron’ and various Polish records frequently refer to it as 301 Flight. After it became an independent unit, 1586 (Polish) Special Duties Flight, they lobbed for and were granted permission to use the 301 Squadron ‘GR’ codes. Duly chessboards were painted on their aircraft and the NF codes were replaced with GR.

There is some confusion over JD362. Cynk, Polish Air Force at War, states it was “E”, lost on 26th August (night of 26/27 August), but elsewhere lists it as “L”.

“C” Flight 01/04/43 Halifax II: BF309 NF*T, BB330 ’C’, BS378 ’D’, HR666 ‘E’, HX161 ‘M’, JD154 ‘V’, JD156 ‘W’, JD171 ‘P’, JD319 ‘A’, JD362 ‘L’, JN911 ‘Z’, LE281 ‘W’. Liberator III BZ858 ‘NF*F, BZ859 ‘J’, BZ860 ‘U’.

1586 Flight Halifax late 43 - early 44: JD319 GR*A, JD362 ‘L’, JN911 ‘Z’, JP171 ‘B’, JP177 ‘P’, JP180 ‘V’, JP181 ‘C’, JP207 ‘E’, JP222 ‘E’, JP236 ‘A’, JP249 ‘M’, JP252 ‘D’, JP281 ‘L’, LW272 ‘D’, LW284 ‘T’.

Halifax mid-1944: BB412 ‘C’, JD319 ‘G’, JP161 ‘N’, JP220 ‘C’, JP226 ‘A’, JP230 ‘N’, JP251 ‘P’, JP252 ‘L’, JP254 ‘D’, JP283 ‘G’, JP295’P’,

Liberator late 43 early 44: BZ859 GR*J, BZ860 ‘U’, BZ949 ‘T’, BZ965 ‘V’.

Liberator mid-44: EV978 ‘R’, EW275 ‘R’, EW278 ‘U’, KG827 ‘U’, KG890 ‘S’, KH101 ‘R’, KH151 ‘S’.

7/11/44 Halifax: BB440 ‘G’, JP136 ‘D’, P242 ‘E’, LL118, ‘C’, LL187 ‘H’, LL367 ‘P’, LL534 ‘M’.

Liberator: BZ965 ‘V’, KG834 ‘U’, KG994 ‘R’, KH151 ‘S’.  

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, 303sqn said:

1586 Flight Halifax late 43 - early 44: JD319 GR*A, JD362 ‘L’, JN911 ‘Z’, JP171 ‘B’, JP177 ‘P’, JP180 ‘V’, JP181 ‘C’, JP207 ‘E’, JP222 ‘E’, JP236 ‘A’, JP249 ‘M’, JP252 ‘D’, JP281 ‘L’, LW272 ‘D’, LW284 ‘T’.

Halifax mid-1944: BB412 ‘C’, JD319 ‘G’, JP161 ‘N’, JP220 ‘C’, JP226 ‘A’, JP230 ‘N’, JP251 ‘P’, JP252 ‘L’, JP254 ‘D’, JP283 ‘G’, JP295’P’,

Liberator late 43 early 44: BZ859 GR*J, BZ860 ‘U’, BZ949 ‘T’, BZ965 ‘V’.

Liberator mid-44: EV978 ‘R’, EW275 ‘R’, EW278 ‘U’, KG827 ‘U’, KG890 ‘S’, KH101 ‘R’, KH151 ‘S’.

7/11/44 Halifax: BB440 ‘G’, JP136 ‘D’, P242 ‘E’, LL118, ‘C’, LL187 ‘H’, LL367 ‘P’, LL534 ‘M’.

Liberator: BZ965 ‘V’, KG834 ‘U’, KG994 ‘R’, KH151 ‘S’.  

Hm, I'm a bit confused again now about that JP 252, are you referring that it too carried GR - L squadron code during mid 1944? 

ps. Just curious, any Hercules equipped Halifax III among these? 

I've made some research and things are confusing, but not hopeless. We may suppose that there really were several airplanes with the same code letter in close periods (not necessarily at the same time). It is possible that some planes were temporarily removed from service for overhaul and the replacement planes got their letters. Then the "old" planes returning to the service were assigned with new letters. 

This could be the case of the 'old maid' JD 362, which, already in 1943 in England when the Polish Flight was subordinated to 138 squadron RAF as "Flight C" was marked NF-L. Below two photos most probably from Britain:

41.jpg

33.jpg

and with creation of the autonomous 1586 Polish Flight it probably became GR-L - or  GR-E?. In August 1944 (probably after overhaul) it was already lettered as GR-E

96.jpg

There photo dated for August shows letter with thin outlines only (I don't know if these were outlines applied to be filled with solid colour or intentionally left like that to improve camouflage). There are photos of two other GR-E Halifaxes (JP 207 used till April 1944 and JP 222 used since May 1944, lost 22/23 September 1944).

More photos from the Polish Aviation Museum collection:

http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/index.php/digitalizacja/katalog/1767

Another collection of photos:

http://www.polishairforce.pl/dyw301zdj.html

Regarding the JP 281 there is no doubt it was GR-L.

301 Polish squadron (after which 1586 Flight inherited traditions, after the squadron was disbanded in April 1943 due to heavy losses in bombing of the Reich, then re-created from the 1586 Flight crews in November 1944) used radial engined Halifaxes, but it was in 1946 and the version was Mk. VIII transport plane. 

301_Halifax_after.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Regarding the JP 281 there is no doubt it was GR-L.

Great photos and other details, and this is the most important conclusion.

Wielkie dzięki! 🙂

Now back to the Revell kit corrections headache...

• Like 1

Please note one more difference - the Halifax here has a early triangular fins:

41.jpg&key=8140f61079e9c14b4ced45b3a250c

whereas that one has late style rectangular, as Mk III should have

5799645622_9aae54a048_b.jpg&key=ceb77de8

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

JD362 has an interesting extra guard around the tailwheel.

The rectangular fins and longer nose were fitted in service to earlier Halifaxes, but these were usually referred to as the series 1a.   Apparently this should have only applied to the aircraft with Merlin 22 engines and the Morris radiators, but in practice this appears to have been ignored.

It would be interesting to find which nose and engines JD362 had.

On a Polish modeller forum

http://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7847&start=15

I have found a discussion on JD362 with photo of her noseart

27.jpg

On the Museum of AViation web page there is a photo

on which you can see nose (like Mk III) and engines (with 3 rounded coolers). They name it GR.E!

cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
added link and photo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

JD362 has an interesting extra guard around the tailwheel.

The rectangular fins and longer nose were fitted in service to earlier Halifaxes, but these were usually referred to as the series 1a.   Apparently this should have only applied to the aircraft with Merlin 22 engines and the Morris radiators, but in practice this appears to have been ignored.

Here is another take:

28_zpsrhwyj7se.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Here is another take:

18 hours ago, GrzeM said:

More photos from the Polish Aviation Museum collection:

http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/index.php/digitalizacja/katalog/1767

In the link to the Kraków Museum website there are about 20 various photos of this airplane (JD362), including 9 or 10 showing the nose art. And many more pics of other planes from this unit.

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Voila:

40.jpg

34.jpg

• Like 3

So that is strictly a Mk.II Series 1(Special), but I suspect it was referred to as a series 1a.  If they bothered with such finer points.

PS  Looking closely, it does look to have had the earlier nose replaced rather than built with the more aerodynamic one as new.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Thank you all for help. 🙂

I'll try to use a generic decal sets for the serial number & squadron codes on my JP 281. Just need to find the small "Poland" marking for the nose. 

ps. It's a pity there are no aftermarket decals for JD 362 considering its very interesting nose art. At least so far. 

1586 Flight used Halifax Mk II, Series 1a, and V. They would have been modified for special duties, hatches for dropping agents etc.  The initial establishment of 1586 Flight was three Halifaxes (MK II series 1a I think), JD319 ‘A’, JD362 ‘L’, JN911 ‘Z’, three Liberators, BZ859 ‘J’ BZ860 ‘U’ BZ949 ‘T’, and ten aircrews. Coded were changed from NF to GR keeping the same letter. At this time JD362 carried the courting couple noseart under the cockpit. Can been seen in the sequence of photos 25 to 43 in the link to the Polish Aviation Museum above, which appear to be all of JD362. In them can been the nose, engines and the various aerials that were fitted. I would guess that they were taken during a visit of the Polish Air Force Film Unit.

The aircraft were immediately flown to Sidi Amor in Tunisia, arriving 7th November. Ground personnel followed by sea to Taranto in Italy. No operations were flown until the night 15/16 December. Ground crew arrived at Campo Casale and the six aircraft followed on 22 December. By on night 5/6 January they lost Liberators BZ859 and BZ949 leaving them with one Liberator and one serviceable Halifax, the other two needing engine replacement.  Replacement aircraft and spares were very difficult to obtain and the Flight’s CO S/Lr Król flew to England in BZ860 to intervene personally with the Air Ministry. He returned 30 th January and five replacement engines arrived about the same time. In June Halifaxes JP230, JP251, JP283 and Liberators KG827, KG890 were received as replacements.  

In mid-1944 VIIth Bureau in London received worrying reports from the Polish command at Brindisi base pointing out that by 1 August the flight would only have six available crews and by the end of the month four. The problem was that many of the flight’s  personnel were coming to the end of their tour, some second or even third and in the case of W/O Słanisław Kłosowski fourth. Some personnel would continue to fly missions as volunteers. It was difficult to replace these crews. On 10th May Gen. Sosnkowski had made a request that 300 Squadron, who had just converted to Lancasters, be transferred to Special Duties. This was firmly rejected by AVM Harris but he could not stop the transfer of experienced crews from the squadron to 1586 Flight, which be was also against. The result was that the British withdrew four of the Flight’s sixteen aircraft and indicated that more would follow is the crew shortage continued.

On 1st August the flight had six serviceable Haxifaxes with three available crews and three Liberators with three available crews. On 9/10 August four aircraft were sent to Warsaw, Halifaxes, JP251 ‘P’,  JP252 ‘L’, JP230 ‘N’ and Liberator KG890 ‘S’. The flight received 2 new Liberator Mk VIs. By the middle of the month 1586 Flight (and 148 Squadron) were began to suffer a shortage of Halifaxes and replacement aircraft arriving from Britain either required modification for special duties or major overhauls. The Poles renewed their efforts to have 300 Squadron transferred to Brindisi for special duties. At this time JD362 is recorded a ‘E’. For eight nights running between 20/21 August and 27/28 August Polish volunteer crews made 35 sorties to the Warsaw area. Only 21 of these succeeded or partly succeeded and even the most experienced crews began to regard the operations as ‘missions impossible’.

On the first of these nights F/Lt Edmund Ladro and crew in Halifax JP180 ‘A’ made a daring sweep low over Marszałkowska Street to drop supplies in the centre of Warsaw. F/Lt Jan Mioduchowski in an attempt to make a similar drop was beaten off by AA and dense smoke. Both Halifaxes were badly damaged but managed to return to Brindisi. The next night W/O Henryk Jastrzębski in Halifax JD362 ‘E’ repeated Ladro’s feat but most if not all the containers fell into German hands. Newly arrived crews started flying towards the end of August and fears grew that they were being sent to almost certain death. Two such crews were lost on the night 26th August when Halifaxes JD362 ‘E’ and JN895 ‘B’ were shot down over Hungary.

Air decal sheet 72402 has two Halifaxes, JD319 GR A and LL252 (sic) GR L and Liberator EV978 GR R of 1586 Flight. It might still be available from the Jadar Shop.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

JDxxx aircraft were built by English Electric in (approx) spring 1943,  and so would be Mk.II series 1(special) with Merlin XX engines, Gallay radiators, the Tollerton nose fairing and triangular fins.  Also, reputedly the best-built Halifaxes.  JNxxx and JPxxx were built by London Transport from Autumn towards the end of 1943, and all the JPxxx aircraft I've seen were Mk.II series 1a aircraft with the extended nose, Merlin 22 engines, the Morris radiators and rectangular fins.  Also, reputedly, the worst-built Halifaxes, although there may be some snobbery there considering their being built outside the traditional aircraft industry.  Both the nose and the fins were retrofitted to earlier aircraft over the winter 1943/44.  The Air Ministry considered that it was the Merlin 22 that made an aircraft a series 1a, but the crews seem to have ignored this and gone with the nose shape.  Apparently there were a few hybrids... due perhaps to a lack of Merlin 22s.

Supply of Halifaxes to the Middle East was always short - at least for a time the supply rate was one aircraft per month, although with the lack of demand in Bomber Command for the Merlin variant things probably got a little easier in 1944.  They would still have been restricted by the time taken for conversion to SOE standard, and Coastal Command were also demanding Merlin 22s to replace their Merlin XXs..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rakovica said:

@303sqn - Any additional info regarding JP 281 please, date of arrival in unit, number of missions, details on the night 21/22 July 1944 incident etc? 

I have even more info, but... about the JD 362 (overhaul and modifications and confirmation of re-lettering as "E"). But this one is probably no longer interesting for you.

Edited by GrzeM

7 hours ago, GrzeM said:

I have even more info, but... about the JD 362 (overhaul and modifications and confirmation of re-lettering as "E"). But this one is probably no longer interesting for you.

A bit off-topic, but now when you mentioned... Do you maybe have info did the 138 squadron's L9613 NF-V and BB 340 NF-D fly any mission to or over Yugoslavia?

AMLA7240.jpg?t=

@modelldoc Very nice model, thanks for sharing. :)

• Confused 1

Those serial numbers do not look correct. Perhaps you should try the Halifax Forum.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/halifaxbomber/

My mistake, L9613 was assigned to F/O Zygmuntowicz. If was not fully modified for SOE operations until late Feb 1942.  Jasiński and crew joined 138 Squadron 25 October 1941 and were given L9612, one of the first Halifaxes to be modified for flights to Poland. Their first sortie was 7 November 1941. On the return they had to force land in Sweden. The crew destroyed the Halifax on the ground and were interned. Not for long, they were released in early 1942.  Sgt Pieniążek, received L9618 NF W, in November 1941. After undergoing fuel consumption and navigational aids testing it was sent for modifications and returned in the last week of December.   They flew missions mostly to Poland but also Austria and Czechoslovakia but I cannot find any mention of Yugoslavia.   

Edited by 303sqn
  • Like 1