Supermarine Spitfire PR.XIX - 1.72 Fujimi

Mig88

Here is my Fujimi 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire PR.XIX completed back in 2002.

It represents PM655 "W-6C", of the Photographic Reconnaissance Development Unit, RAF, at Benson, England, in 1947-48.

Comments are, as usual, welcome and thanks for looking

Miguel

ddMEIv-aw6oVipoAujEF5EtRIZJWFVsz1pJ6-SQ4

Xn9xzX-RMMOKvfwTnZd-CYVaQpsyJetD8LJL2DP4

CKTZtwWNBJWdwkEFQZERx3gSmBnKb_yjh2o45_fl

aq5zLiHMuL6ispSBxZ4z5DnIgUGgX506lYG3NGhO

LbAjHDUmJ_xSERthMNsTALKWEc1W8v-dLhVtXdb_

KxPZN3LO5FEj3PvXo0dJsOeUhwoRMjfi5Bt8JAY4

1VPx6qWb6lkwEIf1SDUDj5OKES1flYAdUwCilgZ0

• Like 40

Lovely PR Mk XIX!

However, the silver paint on the prop leading edges looks a bit funny, since the prop blades were made of wood, with a thin brass sheath protecting the leading edge. 😉

Also, since there was no entrance hatch (the major version of the PR Mk XIX was pressurised) all traces of the hatch (the Fujimi kit is multi-version, I think?) should be removed and definitely not enhanced with a dark wash.

Apart from the nitpicks, a really nice model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much to all!

1 hour ago, Doc72 said:

What paint did you use for the PRU Blue?

I used PollyScale. It was airbrushed if I recall correctly.

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

However, the silver paint on the prop leading edges looks a bit funny, since the prop blades were made of wood, with a thin brass sheath protecting the leading edge. 😉

Also, since there was no entrance hatch (the major version of the PR Mk XIX was pressurised) all traces of the hatch (the Fujimi kit is multi-version, I think?) should be removed and definitely not enhanced with a dark wash.

Thanks Joachim for the comments. As I said I built this one back in 2002 and, although I was aware of some things, others escaped me. I didn't know that the blades were of wood for example. As for the hatch, you are absolutely right. I just checked my notes and I did indeed make one of the pressurised machines (the only option of this type in the kit) adding some strips below the canopy frame and the heater outlet on top of the spine. I completely missed covering the hatch! Yes, the Fujimi kit is multi-version and plenty of modifications had to be done to the wings.

Miguel

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snappedbydan said:

I love that, I can't believe the amount of detail for a 1/72 kit! I can't imagine being this good any time soon. 

Thanks a lot! I used to think the same way... 😉!

• Like 1