Ha-200B Helwan Al Kahira, Scratchaeronautics 1/48

exdraken

As popular vote decided on the Helwan Ha-200B Al Kahira for obvious reasons, I gonna start with her:

so what we have here is a Resin kit by Scratchaeronautics, a small Spanish resin genius who fortunately for some of us provides us with kits of rare and ultra rare subjets :) :):)

my deepest respect, doing this as a hobby besides being in the Military as a day (ahmm) full time job ! maybe we can  push Juan to do a Ha-300 as well one day....  :) 

so after the C-101 I did some time ago in Patrulla Aguila colors,  now the first of actually 3 Ha-200 Saeta kits I have! (a Super Saeta and a standard Trainer will follow soon I hope!) but the Egyptian variant is the most interesting one of this already very interesting jet trainer! Designed by knowbody else as but Willy Messerschmitt, in Franco ruled Spain of the post civil war era for the Spanish airforce. Produced under licence by Helwan near Cairo- Al Kahira!! that was when Egypt still had higher aspirations and was not deeply entangled with fighting Israel, only small scale conflict then...... 

it is not really known how many were actually produced in Egypt, and what is their service history, mainly because production and use was severly affected by the 6 days war in 1967..... 

so, that is what you get:

im73ecf.jpg

not too many part, or complicated instructions, 

but some filing and dryfitting will be necessary!

most of the parts are flawlessly cast, the tanks have some smaller holes or little craters form bubbles... but nothing serious!

QhxRY5T.jpg

jEiMdij.jpg

the decals look very good, but need a varnish before dipping them into water!. A white background is provided where needed.

some pictures exist, but I'd be glad so see more!

@Artie

has posted some here:

saetajaldoegipto_121.JPG&key=28a483f0678

avc_00189208.jpg&key=1c9bf175c76a7fb02a9

one more in the Egyption Airfoce Museum, 

even with armament!

http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/Blogvorm/almaza-airport-museum/#jp-carousel-16426

(looks like Sakr rockets, as used on the MiG-17.....)

and one more form later times, by the fact that the roundels have changed to the current one.... (late 1970ies?)

6_1_a1.jpg

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/404/6/0#1

I started cleaning the main parts, so far so good!

nsKYkL0.jpg

cheers, 

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 9

Interesting project you are building Werner. But looks like a bit of work.

17 hours ago, exdraken said:

and one more form later times, by the fact that the roundels have changed to the current one.... (late 1970ies?)

6_1_a1.jpg

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/404/6/0#1

Actually this picture is from 1988, at least that was when I took it ;)

Here a better picture.

HA%20200-1988.jpg

This is a preserved aircraft and the markings are not very authentic. The colours do look a bit different than in the picture you linked as it is a copy of a copy of a copy.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Interesting project you are building Werner. But looks like a bit of work.

Actually this picture is from 1988, at least that was when I took it ;)

Here a better picture.

HA%20200-1988.jpg

This is a preserved aircraft and the markings are not very authentic. The colours do look a bit different than in the picture you linked as it is a copy of a copy of a copy.

Cheers, Peter

Wow!

Great!

I hope you do not mind seeing it here again!

Regarding colorsm interesting!

I assumed the photo was taken in bright sunlight and that the plane was in natural or painted aluminium!

I also assumed it being operational!

As the  Egypt Air Force changed name, roundels and flag several times ... late 70ies would have been the earliest.. the Eagle design is the straight, hard angled more or less current one...!

looks like a nice resin kit of an obscure aircraft I've never heard off. Been looking for a while to kits of this manufacturer (very interesting subjects), but a bit expensive (although for a resin kit and the work involved till you get that resin kit... )

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 10:36 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Werner

Have you had a chance to make a start yet.

I have never heard of either the aircraft or the kit manufacturer before but the kit looks the business !

cheers Pat

Hi,

thanks for asking!

Actually not a lot..... a Spirit flying into my bench ...

I cleaned up the fuselage joints and some parts.... cockpit needs painting grey now :)  

anybody has an idea which kind of ejection seat the Saeta used? any aftermarket available? but maybe the kit ones are fine enough..... maybe it was not even an ejection seat, but only a seat after all!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

a bit darker IP base, and some resin dust later:

oAmMDBs.jpg

gisA2jh.jpg

still not fully sure if I will use these seats... alternatives???

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

Boy, this stuff is rough :( I thought resin casting gives you all this minute detail :whistle:

This kit lacks greatly in internal details and it is maybe not worth the effort to replace the seats as the whole cockpit can do with lots of extra detail.

Looks like the Saeta didn't use ejection seats and I assume that the Helwan version was the same.

Hispano_Cockpit.jpg

More pictures here.

In case you replace the seats, maybe you can scratch build them with three plasticard pieces (two sides and bent central part) or maybe there is some resin stuff around for a seat like that.

Wish you luck.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Boy, this stuff is rough :( I thought resin casting gives you all this minute detail :whistle:

This kit lacks greatly in internal details and it is maybe not worth the effort to replace the seats as the whole cockpit can do with lots of extra detail.

Thanks for the photo and sugestions!

In respect to resin and minute detail, I'd say you are right and wrong!

As I understand it, this is a resin kit to first give you a Saeta in 48th at all :)

and second to save on tooling costs... I assume simply some short run injection molding tools are way out of budget here... !!

the exterior of the kit IS highly detailed, with engraved panel lines, etc

the interior is not or only basicly detailed as you can see.... but not behind at all to many mainstream plastic kits..  think ESCI, Italeri etc.!

.. of corse many modern kits are above that standard!

a good resin cockpit with 2 seats, PE etc rapidly costs close to 20$€£ that is half the kit!

I am glad it is available as is, and will try to improve on the interior a bit!

by the way, the IP is quite nice and sharp actually :)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did any other types use the same seats ? Maybe you can get some  etter obes that way ? 

I have no Idea, but they kook like basic WW2 seats..... hope somebody enlightens me on that!

ha!

found this reply in an older thread here on BM :)

Seat_Saeta.jpg&key=0ba58fd0dcfa6b96b8cf5

obviously forgot about it ....

so in the worst case I just thin the edges and add some seatbelts ;)

after some searching, what do you think of these?:

https://sbsmodel.com/model/SBS-48007/bf-109-seat-with-harness--x2-

bf-109-seat-with-harness--x2-.jpg

cheers, Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

Hmm. The resin seats look nice but will need some modification to accurately represent those in the Ha-200. Might be just as much work as the kit parts need but always an option if that doesn't work out.

thanks a lot for your valuable opinion regarding the seats.. still looking for a photo.... can't be impossible, no?.... will think about maybe using the kit seat and some harness?

more here: :)

109465d1246878167-haciendo-el-avion-saet

https://www.foro3d.com/f37/haciendo-el-avion-saeta-ha-200-para-todo-el-que-quiera-apuntarse-52235-25.html

by the way, I found some more images:

http://www.jaon.es/hispanoaviacion/EGIPTO/saetaegipto.htm

saetajaldoegipto_127.JPG

http://www.jaon.es/hispanoaviacion/EGIPTO/IMAGENES/saetajaldoegipto_127.JPG

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

An excellent if little known choice of subject. I love this sort of build. I have tackled a couple of resin kits now, and although they are challenging, they can be worth it, as often they are subjects that mainstream manufacturers avoid.

Watching with much interest!

Terry

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really should hurry up with this one here.....

W5hcMle.jpg

C4b6vcG.jpg

at least I managed to close the fuselage joints!

BogivED.jpg

some work needed especially on the middle one:

QiObDyQ.jpg

fLqleAC.jpg

to be continued!

• Like 5

On 5/16/2019 at 2:24 PM, Silenoz said:

looking good, with regards to the IP, you could scratch in the dials with a needle, and then apply some clear...

thanks!

will try to improve the look of the cockpit later! I like your technique!

tonight I mounted the wings :) and cleaned the fuselage seams ....

some filler/ cleanup still needed, but not too bad looking I think!

bKj7sEX.jpg

9l3pfTn.jpg

p44Truz.jpg

NpR0Wdx.jpg

resin dust is king for the time being ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1