RD-53 to CH-53G - can it be done?

HansReggelsen

Hi all! :D

I have the Fujimi 1/72 RD-53 and would like to ask the question: What will it take to convert it to a CH-53G other than some new decals? :hmmm:

I'm preparing a Bundeswehr series of planes and thingies that drive on the ground and therefor would like to include the 'G' in my collection. :heart:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

I would say yes...

I think the CH-53G got new composite rotor blades at some point same as the USAF MH-53J/M's which IIRC  have a different tip profile to the earlier blades...that may limit your use of the RH-53D to a certain time frame of Bundeswehr use.

But i'm no expert on the type.

• Thanks 1

Hi

As I know, RD-53 has foldable rotor head because of the carrier ops, CH-53 has fixed rotor head . Therefore You need carefully remove the folding mechanism from each blades. All Fujimi's  **-53* kits has foldable rotors . For CH-53G You are better off with old Airfix kit which is still the best CH-53 kit in the market now.

Edited by zkalos
  • Thanks 1

It never appeared to me, I'm ashamed of myself. Thank You for the correction. According to these, from the Fujimi kit we can do a correct early CH-53G (possibly with new composite rotor blades for late version), CH-53D Sea Stallion and RD-53D, but for example not an IAF CH-53 Yasur or HH-53C Jolly Green Giant without a little rotorhead surgical intervention .

Thanks tonywood !

Edited by zkalos
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings from Germany,

HFlRgt 15 was my unit, a German Army Aviation Regiment equipped with the CH-53. I wrote a comparison between Fujimi's, Revell's and Airfix' CH-53 kits in 1/72 sclae on Flugzeugforum: https://www.flugzeugforum.de/threads/1-72-ch-53g-bausatzvergleich-airfix-fujimi-italeri-auch-revell-bilek.53083/

I agree, Airfix kit is clearly the best in 1/72 scale, but Fujimi is not bad, the bigges problems being an anemic tail pylon and wrong-sized cockpit side windows.

You can buy decals for German CH-53 variants from: http://www.df-helostuff.de/Decals/Streitkraefte/Military/index.php/

The tail and the main rotor of German CH-53's were folded regularly to save space.

HTH
ICT

• Thanks 1