A Pair of Trainers

alancmlaird

...and talking of rigging.....

41e91824-a1eb-4fa7-bddb-37317fb5a3fc.jpg

b48e2974-d626-4f4c-85e9-be42da7de568.jpg

aca1f588-2b2f-4973-83c1-0774cceeec61.jpg

0fc1b42e-ac24-4fe6-8dd6-249f27bab2a9.jpg

c9bd4013-c109-4574-b585-36a8f77d265e.jpg

I seemed to be out of old silver sprue, so I used clear sprue to stretch for the rigging. It seems to be more rigid than the softer colured stuff, and the result here quite sucessfully replicates the shiny metalic of new rigging cable.

I'll do the next one in silver sprue for a less sparkling effect - I must have some somewhere!

• Like 9

Very nice!

For stretched sprue rigging, your local art shop will probably sell a thick, permanent silver marker pen. You can run the sprue over the tip a few times, turning it a bit each time, to get a nice silver finish on it. 

I have only done stretched sprue rigging for one aeroplane and I used the modern softer stuff. To tighten it up, you can heat up a fairly large nail over a gas or candle flame and hold that near (not touching!) the rigging. Although it sounds crazy, after a second or two the rigging straightens itself out. Your ends need to be tightly secured for that trick.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

that scheme is a beaut. 👍

It is an interesting scheme, and full mark to Xtedecal for the quality. It does show up why you should do your own research though. On photos I've seen of the School aircraft, all struts are a dark colour - almost certainly orange and not silver as the decal sheet states. Also, at least one of the School's aircraft has a silver fin and rudder.
Furthermore, there is a winged crest on the rudder of all but the silver painted one, which is blank. The interplane struts carry little 'DH' aeroplane logos - tiny but noticeable, I'll need to try to add them too.

I intend to build an early camouflaged civil-registered Tiger Moth too, same ERFTS, and that is when I'll attempt the under-fuselage detail that Adrian kindly posted photos of - with a retro-fit programme on this pair!

• Like 2

Rigging completed! These Tiger Moth kits are, or at least feel, extremely fragile. Glad to be past the handling stage. Assembling the wings and struts - torture! Rigging, because of the fragile feeling - heart-stopping! Totally immersing and enjoyable though. I want to build more!

bccb2b2d-acf3-4d2d-82ab-bdff4b704751.jpg

44b16b42-787c-484b-9844-90797377f181.jpg

f883ca83-4935-4a0b-b536-8e0b0ca9467c.jpg

b8f4d897-7785-4d63-b379-8ad668498147.jpg

I'll probably spot bits I've missed later, but finished...for now. Add maybe some under-fuselage detail.

Disappointed I didn't check, but the aileron control cable under the lower wings are moulded triangles of solid plastic, these of course should be simple horn-levers and a cable. 

I eventually had to lighten the Humbrol green with a little white and yellow - the decals on the top wing look lighter because of the reflecting silver underneath. the fuselage registration looks darker even though it is on white background.

Edited by alancmlaird
  • Like 4

I think the underwing control system is a crank and rod arrangement rather than a cable. Because with a cable there’s no push so you would need something in the other side.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I think the underwing control system is a crank and rod arrangement rather than a cable. Because with a cable there’s no push so you would need something in the other side.

Regards,

Adrian

You are right Aidrian! Hence the longer lever moment, and I'd have to use thicker stretched sprue for the rod but Airfix have still got it wrong with the solid triangle.

And just noticed I've forgotten the inteplane wires intersection linking rods!

Just now, alancmlaird said:

And just noticed I've forgotten the inteplane wires intersection linking rods!

I’ve never added those in my life, but feel free....

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1