A Pair of Trainers

alancmlaird

resized_95633104-b023-4c8d-8e81-14fcbe1a

In the stated interests of diversity, I decided this project might comply with the rules as these trainers are a conversion due to the addition of 'Qwik-Change' elastic laces. However, even though pretty worn, they are still about 75% complete - so this, and on the grounds of taste, should rule them out as contenders.

Fortunately, I just noticed two Airfix Tiger Moth kits lurking in the background, and thought maybe they'd do instead?

08b4c76d-d825-4193-85e6-cb50cb16d8ad.jpg

To someone whose previous Tiger Moth build was the original Airfix offering of 50-odd years ago, this new-tool version is a revel(no pun intended)ation. 

Despite the box-art, it is my intention to build more colourful subjects than the usual green/brown/yellow wartime fare.

Nor in the present-day gaudy colours of the rich man's prestige toy/investment that gets a once-a-year outing at the local air show - these will be proper training aircraft from the late thirties re-training and re-armament programme

Using  a set of decals from Hannants, I will finish them as a No12 ERFTS (Prestwick) machine from 1935 and an 11 ERFTS (Perth) aircraft from a year later.

Just one bit of research needed before I 'break ground' with these. I just read that, pre- war only the RAF Tigers had anti-spin strakes, the civies didn't. But the ERFTS aircraft were a bit of a grey area being RAF-feeder organisations. More digging needed - unless an expert member here has knowledge of this (John Aero........)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The anti-spin strakes came in around 1941 or so.  The likely need was because of the extra clutter of anti-invasion bomb racks and then more added service equipment messing up airflow and/or weight distribution.

So your prewar Tiger would have a “clean” fuselage.

Postwar I think any Tigers doing aerobatics is supposed to have the strakes though there is a doubt around whether they’re still worthwhile without wartime clutter?

Dutch Tigers has to have a different fin fitted for their CofA equivalent!

Cheers

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Col. said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your two Scottish Tiger Moths take shape Alan :thumbsup:

The new Aifix kit is lovely, Col, so it will be my fault if the final result is duff! The search still goes on for the decals I bought, so I might have to steal your 'lost' header picture.... :banghead:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 9:44 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Alan

Have you had any luck tracking down the missing decals, and as importantly have you managed to make a start on the moths yet ?

cheers Pat

Ah-ha! Just found them! Now if I can just find the time......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

.....found

0eb97177-517a-496b-8ab9-d3da2a5a52fc.jpg

started.....

e5dc5b6f-8474-4eaf-a55e-7bf377cdf991.jpg

..even added some laces to the trainers!

28b0c235-54eb-48b5-8fa2-729b10c665d9.jpg

Airfix have moulded in some seriously good (and almost entirely invisible when assembled) cockpit detailing, so it seemed incumbent on me to just take it a little further and add seat-back cushions (20thou card) and safety harnessess (Tamiya masking tape).

Ham-fistedness or detail too fine? Either way, one each of the centre-section struts broke on removal from the sprue, so had to wait till the repair dried before assembling them.

• Like 4

While waiting for that lot to dry, I have to decide how to approach the next bit. Usually with biplanes I prefer to do the complete assembly first, because there is almost always so much messing about with strut alignment that paintwork can be damaged. However, Airfix have that removable strut-link system that - should! - keep the wing alignment right until the glue has set. But do I trust it?

Edited by alancmlaird

Progress....some sticking of bits to some other bits times two.....

d177badf-b1c3-4054-994c-8146ed790f9f.jpg

Despite the super-accurate fit of most other components, the fuselage halves needed some filler and filing.

Engine assembly not yet attached to second model - it is painted green and the fuselage white, so I'll keep it separated till its painted.

Edited by alancmlaird
  • Like 4

Looking good so far!

I have built three of these and would suggest that you leave off the inter plane struts, attach the wings onto the centre section only, then pop the struts in one by one after cutting them free of the links and cleaning them up. The centre section is braced and positively fitted so it provides good alignment.

Regards,

Adrian

1/72 isn't my scale so I've only ever had a very quick look at the diminutive Airfix offering of the Tiger Moth, but I have a feeling these rear u/c struts have been left off?:

mvJ1tj.jpg

Max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:02 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looking good so far!

I have built three of these and would suggest that you leave off the inter plane struts, attach the wings onto the centre section only, then pop the struts in one by one after cutting them free of the links and cleaning them up. The centre section is braced and positively fitted so it provides good alignment.

Regards,

Adrian

That sounds like good advice - i should have read your post before i attached the struts!!!

On 3/30/2019 at 5:02 PM, galgos said:

1/72 isn't my scale so I've only ever had a very quick look at the diminutive Airfix offering of the Tiger Moth, but I have a feeling these rear u/c struts have been left off?:

mvJ1tj.jpg

Max

Great underside shot! I've never noticed these struts before nor those control wires and levers. and are those wires painted yellow!!!?

The wires are the aileron control cables, I have other detail shots of Tiger Moths if you're interested.  It's a Tiger Moth I have flown from Henstridge, 3 there fully restored to WW2 condition.

ubsK4e.jpg

Max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, galgos said:

The wires are the aileron control cables, I have other detail shots of Tiger Moths if you're interested.  It's a Tiger Moth I have flown from Henstridge, 3 there fully restored to WW2 condition.

ubsK4e.jpg

Max

...and look at those floor-strengthening frame-members! Yes please, more detail shots would be great, thanks- I have at least two more tiger Moths to build, and although trying to achieve Wingnuts 1/32 levels of detail in 1/72 is a short route to blindness and madness, its fun to at least try!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK Alan, I'll put some shots in the Reference section just in case any other builders want them too.

Max

If you need any more of a specific area let me know, I'm off to work on my Harvard now! :)

• Thanks 2

On 3/30/2019 at 10:02 AM, AdrianMF said:

leave off the inter plane struts, attach the wings onto the centre section only...

Adrian

Yep. I deranged my attached interplane struts putting on the underwing lettering, so took them off and will do as Adrian suggests.

Got them nearly fully assembled and painted, looking a bit cantilever-winged without the the interplane struts - then its just the *sigh* rigging to do.

5dc7743b-9848-4aa0-b3b9-3406e5e8bf72.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Your Tiger Moths look fantastic! Good luck with the struts and rigging

They are looking pretty good so far! But that's down to Airfix and the decal manufacturer. I'm on record as being easily pleased, but that Airfix kit is superb at any price, let alone the bargain-basement tenner it costs. The decals are excellent and went on a treat - though I think the green on 'DOF is too light for the Air Service Training green - took the liberty of making a copy scan before I cut the sheet up, so if it bothers me I can make a new set slightly darker.

The struts should be fine - it took Adrian to remind me of the best way to deal with biplanes! The rigging task doesn't bother me, just a bit tedious, but the final effect is always pleasing! 🤔

• Like 1

Some delightful looking Moths Alan, but which comes first, the rigging or the interplane struts?! Does rigging include rudder and elevator control wires too?

Max 

5 minutes ago, galgos said:

Some delightful looking Moths Alan, but which comes first, the rigging or the interplane struts?! Does rigging include rudder and elevator control wires too?

Max 

Struts first. I'm old school - paint on with a good-quality hairy stick, and rigging by streched sprue (I use old silver sprue from the kits of about 30 years ago - the generic pale grey of today's kits is no use at all), flying and landing wires, plus all exposed control cables. I just don't do the doubled-up flying wires or RAFwire proifile in 1/72 scale!

I'll let the centre-section glue set nice'n'hard for a day or two before I start mucking about with the struts, then same again before I start on the rigging.

• Like 2