Fairey Firefly Ace - British Pacific Fleet 1945. 1/48

Thank you for all of your over generous comments.  I didn't think it is that good really.

The background for the photographs is made of a piece of MDF painted in some non discript grey from the shed with a photo of KGV & Victorious from the IWM collection taped to the front of it..  Simple but effective.

It's time to move on to the next model now.  

It's going to be an easier Aircraft this time converting the Tamiya F4F-F to a Grumman Martlet IV by way of converting the P&W Wasp power unit to a Wright Cyclone, lengthening the fuselage and shortening the cowling, be completed as FN112/Ø7*D.

FN112 was involved with a couple of claims during Op. Torch

06.11.42 Bloch 175 Destroyed. 
09.11.42 Ju88 Shared Destroyed (Italian Markings with German crew).
During which it was flown by Lt DM Jeram..

I also need to procure a Seafire ready for the D-Day group Build (RM Crosley)...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Love it, such a brute of an aircraft, yet sleek and elegant at the same time.

I have it between a Seafire and a Corsair in the display cabinet.  It dwarfs the Seafire but is only a little bigger than the Corsair.  I'l take a picture later so that you can compare for yourself..

• Like 2

By way of size comparison - I thought I would take a couple of photographs of the Firefly beside other BPF fighters....

Seafire which of course you don't get into but strap on

46472208644_a35d47fd5d_o.jpg

40231085213_70f4550b1b_o.jpg

Corsair - which was apparently like driving a chariot!!!

47144021502_9f55fa1ee8_o.jpg

Hellcat - You could runaround inside the cockpit and hide..

40231085023_a25af565fd_o.jpg

When looking at these photos, it's not so much the size of the Firefly which is large but the fact that the Hellcat seems so much larger than the Corsair...

Interesting to see also that KGV, Victorious and Formidable in the background have not broken formation....

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Wow,.... another corker in your BPF collection and it looks superb,...... especially against the others! You always get your TSS spot on,...well gel!! 

I intend to do an Indefatigable Firefly some day,..... but don`t hold yer breath! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Wow,.... another corker in your BPF collection and it looks superb,...... especially against the others! You always get your TSS spot on,...well gel!! 

I intend to do an Indefatigable Firefly some day,..... but don`t hold yer breath! 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, I always think I over weather, even though I try to follow photographs, so thank you for you comments.

In the  BPF Part of my build theme I only really have a Crosley's Seafire to finish the collection but I have to fill in a whole bunch of spaces in my FAA Aces theme.  I intend to start with DM Jerams Op Torch Martlet, do RM Crosley's  D-Day Seafire as part of the D-day Group build and DM Jerams 213 Squadron Hurricane as part of the Battle of Britain GB.  

Then it's down to Barnes & Tillard Fulmars though their aircraft are considered unknown and I am not sure how to positively identify them. Before then however Airfix will release their 1/24 Hellcat II and I'm thinking Hellcat II JX762 or JW779 both from HMS Indomitable and both flown by S/Lt WHI Atkinson to destroy enemy aircraft (decision depends on identifying side number) ..  (hoping that @iangnew BPF book answers that question) So lots of work on my collection still to do.  

I guess this is just just illustrating my CDO (like OCD but with the letters in the correct alphabetical order)....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Thanks Tony, I always think I over weather, even though I try to follow photographs, so thank you for you comments.

In the  BPF Part of my build theme I only really have a Crosley's Seafire to finish the collection but I have to fill in a whole bunch of spaces in my FAA Aces theme.  I intend to start with DM Jerams Op Torch Martlet, do RM Crosley's  D-Day Seafire as part of the D-day Group build and DM Jerams 213 Squadron Hurricane as part of the Battle of Britain GB.  

Then it's down to Barnes & Tillard Fulmars though their aircraft are considered unknown and I am not sure how to positively identify them. Before then however Airfix will release their 1/24 Hellcat II and I'm thinking Hellcat II JX762 or JW779 both from HMS Indomitable and both flown by S/Lt WHI Atkinson to destroy enemy aircraft (decision depends on identifying side number) ..  (hoping that @iangnew BPF book answers that question) So lots of work on my collection still to do.  

I guess this is just just illustrating my CDO (like OCD but with the letters in the correct alphabetical order)....

I didn`t know that Ian was doing a new book,....... well that is one to look out for then,........ looking forward to that! 

You`ll get there with your collection,...... just enjoy it and don`t rush it because like me you`ll soon be out of room! If I can help in any way just give me a call mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

You`ll get there with your collection,...... just enjoy it and don`t rush it because like me you`ll soon be out of room! If I can help in any way just give me a call mate,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, yes I'm led to believe that Ian G is currently writing a book on the British Pacific Fleet.

In terms of my own collection - this is what I am currently developing.  Those that are completed are ticked Green.  Those on the extreme right are those I am planning to build at some point although I think some will not be built and some cannot be built as the individual aircraft cannot be identified. 

33332853888_aaaab6d217_o.jpg

Dont worry, I'll be taking my time.  I build at glacial pace and there are a lot of aeroplanes to work out the identity of, kits to buy and build so hopefully years of entertainment and study....  I know most will. Find this nerdy and probably DCO but I enjoy finding out about the people as much as about building the kits...  In terms of space, some 1/72 built models will be sacrificed...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great build and finish on the Firefly, which is one of my favourites especially in BPF service. I was blown away in my first encounter with a Firefly as to it's size, it's a lot bigger than you would think.

hnTvvD.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4