HMS Aurora 1945

Bugle07

Well, tonight I put on my big boy trousers, grabbed my lucky long socks and planted my favourite hat on my head ready to go for it.

Then promptly skived off and did dinner.

Then went and had a smoke.

But eventually I got up the courage to sort out the seascape.

20190805_213846.jpg

Hopefully you can see here that most of the White around the hull is jus tissue paper, with nothing done to it.

I went about soaking it in Vallejo Still water, adding more tissue in areas that needs it and ended up kind of like this.

20190805_222510.jpg

20190805_222517.jpg

20190805_222527.jpg

20190805_222558.jpg

20190805_222613.jpg

20190805_222607.jpg

I've been putting this bit off because in my head it's a point of no return, of that makes sense? 

The hulls in there now, nothing I can do about that without knackering up either the hull or the seascape itself so I'm committed now.

Or should be committed?

20190805_223058.jpg

It still needs a bit of work but I'll let this dry for a day or two and see how it looks then.

20190805_223121.jpg

Its starting to get to where I'd like it to be so I'm happier now!

All the best...

Geoff 

• Like 7

:hypnotised: For parts stuck together this has been the most productive session on Aurora, for my eyesight it's been a killer!

20190811_225530.jpg

AA assembled.

20190811_230901.jpg

Ready lockers, er, ready?

20190811_230942.jpg

Platforms fitted, not glued on yet as the mainmast fits to them, I may need a bit of wriggle room.

20190811_231012.jpg

20190811_231029.jpg

20190811_231047.jpg

Think a wee dram and a lie down is in order after that...

Cheers all!

Geoff 

• Like 4

Gidday Geoff, I know what it is like to spend a lot of time building parts, dry-fitting them then putting them aside. Progress in the main build itself seems quite slow.

Then, at some point, the parts can all be fitted and the model "blooms". It's very satisfying, as you're no doubt aware. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the Amphion (Perth) class and Arethusa classes of cruiser were the most graceful, best looking of all British cruisers. The model you've done to date is a real beauty. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Geoff, I know what it is like to spend a lot of time building parts, dry-fitting them then putting them aside. Progress in the main build itself seems quite slow.

Then, at some point, the parts can all be fitted and the model "blooms". It's very satisfying, as you're no doubt aware. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the Amphion (Perth) class and Arethusa classes of cruiser were the most graceful, best looking of all British cruisers. The model you've done to date is a real beauty. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks for the Jeff. She does seem to be coming together now, slowly, but starting to look like a warship instead of a collection of bits hacked off a spruce.

I've got to admit I think I prefer the Leander class but these are still graceful looking ships. There's something about the funnel arrangement that just isn't right to my eyes.

Well, after a well earned weeks holibobs in Spain I got a chance to do some more tonight, not much as we didn't get back till 3 this morning...

First I cut out the masts to see how the fit and look.

20190901_223319.jpg

20190901_223302.jpg

These haven't been painted yet as I'm not sure if I'll use them(or break them), I may go for brass.

Also got on with the aft weapons.

20190901_231420.jpg

20190901_231442.jpg

20190901_231527.jpg

Nothing stuck down as I'm undecided as to which position the twin guns should be in. Should the be pointed fore and aft, or over the sides? Pics I've seen show fore and aft, so that's probably what I'll do, but well see.

Last night's journey kicked in when I went to glue the depth charge rack to the stern, somehow got some blue pant all over it and removed the wash and some paint removing it?

20190901_231506.jpg

I've no bleeding idea where the blue came from but should be easily enough to tidy up. Poor picture I know but I'm too wiped to take another now!

More soon hopefully, now it's time for some kip, getting ready to go back to work tomorrow 🤬.

Happy modelling all. 

Geoff 

• Like 4

Gidday Geoff, I hope you enjoyed your holibobs in Spain. Is it true about the rain in Spain staying mainly on the plain? ("My Fair Lady" 😀, and I'm sure it's been said before). And you got back at 3.00 this morning, I expect you were at the modeling desk no later than 3.05, just time to make a coffee first.

Now to be serious. As your model is on a seascape, ie lifelike the 4-inch guns facing outward might be more authentic, facing a possible threat. But would they be more prone to catching the barrels on something while you work on her, unless you can leave them off til she's almost done?

I found your comment about the funnels interesting. To me the single large funnel of the Leanders detracts from their graceful lines, whereas the two slimmer funnels of the Amphions and Arethusas don't appeal to you. As I said, Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I think the angle of view can make a difference also. I like a view from off the bow or quarter, rather than end on or directly abeam. Again, personal taste.

Anyway, catch you after you've surfaced from your recuperating beauty sleep. Regards, Jeff.

The rain most definitely did not just fall on the plain last Monday night/Tuesday!

I tried to get some good pics but just couldn't catch the lightening where we were!

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

And you got back at 3.00 this morning, I expect you were at the modeling desk no later than 3.05, just time to make a coffee first.

I was sipping a G&T and contemplating where I was with all my builds at 03.05!

For now the guns won't be stuck down, I think your right about them being pointed to the sides, much better arc of fire, but I'll do some hunting and see what photos from the time show.

Beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder, and as you say what angle makes a huge difference.

With the Aurora I think it's the gap between the bridge superstructure and the fore mast and the lack of any rake that looks wrong. It's too sudden a gap, and without the rake just looks plonked on.

I say that as I really like the lines of the Dido class and the funnels there are swept back, same with the Town/Colony class. Both of which, to my eye, seem to taper down from the bridge to the mast.

Thanks for the comments Jeff, now I really need to get my self into gear and get working!

Geoff 

• Like 1

Gidday Geoff, It looks very severe weather there. I don't think I've tried a G&T, I'd settle for a Bailey's or a port.

One disadvantage of having rake to funnels or masts is that it can dive away your angle of approach or withdrawal to an enemy vessel, whereas a vertical mast or funnel is always vertical regardless of the course being steered. Unless, of course, you've taken a direct hit and said mast or funnel gets blown over, but then I guess they've already got your range and you can expect more incoming hardware very soon. 😩 

And as for getting into gear and busy working, no reply necessary, I'll not be offended in any way. 😀 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It was truly fascinating following this build. I will expand my modelling horizon from just airplanes to also include ships.

I am above average interested in Arctic history and I wonder if this image can be of HMS Aurora during the evacuation of the civilian population on Svalbard August 1941? It is from a private photo album and the text below the images says "On our way to England".

spacer.png

Edited by EirikB
  • Like 1

Hi Eirik, thanks for that, I must remember to get her down from the shelf of doom at some point.... maybe before 2022?

Thats a great picture, she's not Aurora, tho I wonder if it was taken from her? The triple 6" gun mounts on the front would mean its a Town/Crown Colony class ship. I'd guess HMS Nigeria as she was present and the Force A flagship I believe.

Geoff

Gidday, Although the angle is not the best she appears to have vertical masts and funnels, hence Colony class. The Towns had them raked a little. I do like the photo, a good angle from the photogenic point of view. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

I agree Jeff, that's one of the Colony class. There was one converted Town with vertical funnels like this, HMS London, but she had a square bridge structure unlike the round-fronted one common to Towns otherwise as well as the Fiji and Ceylon class (later grouped together as the Colony class)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless it has been censored (unlikely), the photo shows one of the first four Colony or Fiji class (Fiji, Kenya, Nigeria, Mauritius) - all the rest of the class were completed with RDF (radar) aerials on top of the LA.DCT above the bridge.  It is not London - as a County class ship, she had a flush upper deck, not a raised foc's'le as seen here.

Edited by Our Ned
Typo
  • Like 2