HMS Aurora 1945

Bugle07

Been a while since I posted any developments here, the usual reasons, life, work etc getting in the way of modelling time.

Some work has been going on but only in small bits and pieces, think I can justify a couple of pics in the sunshine as an update.

20190422-163247.jpg

Both funnels and a couple of other bits of the superstructure have been primed, painted and washed.

The funnels were a major issue, trying to get the enamel wash off was causing bits to appear, clumps of the semi dried enamel. I'd nor seen the thinners do this before and went into a bit of a panic...

Eventually looked at what I was doing and realized I was try to was it off with decal setting solution, not thinners. :doh:

Not sure what the damage is, I'll be checking the pics in full on zoom mode to see if they need a full strip down or if they'll be rescued.

20190420-232213.jpg

20190422_163304.jpg

I've also made a decision on the base, she's going to be in, a seascape.

20190422_163334.jpg

20190422_163356.jpg

This started out as some packing Styrofoam for my wife's sewing machine (don't tell her!). Cut to size, then pummelled a bit to give a slightly uneven level. 

20190422_162927.jpg

This was then covered with multiple layers of tissue and toilet paper soaked in diluted pva glue. Once seat a rough outline of the hull was cut out.

20190422_163434.jpg

It was, of course, once I'd finished hacking the rough cut that I remembered that I still had the waterline base plate that I could have used as a guide. :doh:

It's been one of those months really...

Primer sprayed on and now time to start working on the paintwork for the seascape. Will be using a range of colours and materials to hopefully get a half decent result.

20190420_232230.jpg

20190422_163425.jpg

Still nothing stuck down, hence the occasionally drunk fore funnel, but getting there slowly.

Up next, painting the seascape, painting the anti slip decks (dark blue grey?) then onto sticking a million and one small things to the deck (don't mention the pe..).

All comments greatly appreciated. 

Appy modelling, and Easter, to all.

Geoff 

• Like 8

I hope my one turns out just as good as yours while I’m Hospital attending a PTSD clinic. I’m going to be doing my weathering when I return back to Darwin as I couldn’t bring a lot of gear down to Sydney for my stay.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

curious to see how the seascape turns out - I'd like to try this someday... 

Same here!

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, you know you want to! Do a ship and seascape!

1 hour ago, Exkiwiforces said:

I’m going to be doing my weathering when I return back to Darwin

Thanks mate.

The great thing about this scale is that most of the weathering can be done at any point, short of rigging the bugger anyway... 

Bit more done on the sea, will take some pics later and post them up.

Hope you're having a modelling kind of weekend!

Geoff 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Same here!

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, you know you want to! Do a ship and seascape!

Thanks mate.

The great thing about this scale is that most of the weathering can be done at any point, short of rigging the bugger anyway... 

Bit more done on the sea, will take some pics later and post them up.

Hope you're having a modelling kind of weekend!

Geoff 

I’ve been a bite lazy not posting much over the last week as I’ve out of sorts and only a few hrs here and there. But today I’ve kicked a few goals today as I’ve finally got some new very tip brushes, so I finished off the very small detail which has allowed me really get moving and I need too as I’ve a very special build coming up, but on that very soon for a veterans display during veterans week.

• Like 1

Bit of paint on the seascape.

20190428_205343.jpg

Grey primer, the a black (Vallejo possibly?) Then a selection of blues and greys in various areas.

20190428_212242.jpg

I then worked up the colour range to an off white.

Impatience struck and I the started applying a gloss coat, hence why the carefully applied drybrushed white looks like poster paint...

Ah well, it's not as stark now that it's all starting to dry a bit. Will go through the process again, then let it dry before a few coats of gloss and Vallejo still water effect at the end. I'll be soaking some tissue with the water effects for the bow wave and adding a bit of depth here and there as well.

20190428_213416.jpg

First attempt at that on the lower (port) bow wave.

20190428_213423.jpg

Its not too bad, bit of a touch up, few more gloss coats and it should be ok?

Practice makes perfect don't they say?

Have a good weekend all.

Geoff 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,

I have a question  in regards to the colour for “Deck Brown” what colour or mixture are you using? Because the colour I mixed up for my build  doesn’t really look like “Deck Brown and I’m sort of thinking of using Colourcoats Teak instead for all deck work.

Edited by Exkiwiforces

Gidday Geoff, Exkiwi, I am not as dedicated or pedantic (authentic) regarding exact shades of colour in my models, I tend to use what I think is the closest colour of what I have in stock, and that is generally Humbrol enamels because that is what I grew up with. Plus I've only been involved with modelling forums such as this for less than twelve months so I've been on my own and working in the dark, so-to-speak.

I think what you have used above looks good. For the decks of cruisers and battlewagons I use Hu94 (which appears similar to what you've used on Aurora) or Hu71 which is quite a bit lighter. How authentic or accurate they are I don't know - they simply look good I think. There are others much more knowledgeable than me, but I hope this helps. Regards, Jeff (a different Jeff/Geoff 😀)

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I think what you have used above looks good. For the decks of cruisers and battlewagons I use Hu94 (which appears similar to what you've used on Aurora) or Hu71 which is quite a bit lighter. How authentic or accurate they are I don't know - they simply look good I think.

I did have a look at the Humbrol range IRT to those two paints you mentioned yesterday at Woodpeckers Model Train, but I decided to go with the Tamiya paints instead and after yesterday’s mixing as per the instructions left me scratching my head as the colour didn’t look quite right.

Had another look at it late this afternoon and saying to myself the colour is all wrong, we have a couple of old school pirates on the ward atm so I might ask them tomorrow, or use a teak or oak colour paint?

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 6:12 AM, Exkiwiforces said:

I have a question  in regards to the colour for “Deck Brown” what colour or mixture are you using?

Hello mate, I'm using Tamiya paints, XF 78 Wooden Deck tan and XF 55 Deck tan with a dark brown enamel wash over the top.

Bit more work done here, bridge and other dark decks painted, top of the funnels got black added, Nato black if my memorys right.

I also gave the water a few washes of blue as it looked to black and stark white in natural light.

20190513_084208.jpg

Slowly, Slowly getting there.

20190513_084214.jpg

The camera seems to show up the Blue a lot more, it's nowhere near as prominent in real life (honest!).

20190513_084218.jpg

20190513_084234.jpg

Possibly more tonight, if not then soon!

Thanks for looking in and happy modelling all. 

Geoff

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Hello mate, I'm using Tamiya paints, XF 78 Wooden Deck tan and XF 55 Deck tan with a dark brown enamel wash over the to

Your build is looking mate, I did a little bit on my one this afternoon and I think you will be finished before I am.

Cheers for the reply on the colours you use for the deck, but I’ve had to stop using Tamiya paints as they seem to go off a lot faster in the topics or I’m doing something wrong with them and had to go back to Humbrol paints until I found a someone stocking Sovereign Colourcoats here in Oz as they can both handle to tropics a lot better than Tamiya paints.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Exkiwiforces said:

I think you will be finished before I am.

Don't bet on that, I've done the straightforward bits so far. Not been near the PE yet! Or the small bits!

Tamiya XF 55 should be Humbrol 28 on all conversion charts I've seen, not sure about the XF 78. Doesn't seem to be on any conversion charts I can see. Possibly 83 would do? A flat buff?

Hope that's help mate.

Geoff 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as usual works gotten in the way of fun...

I have managed a bit of time here and there on the seascape. I think this would be my 4th attempt at painting it?

20190531_214133.jpg

20190601_001838.jpg

20190601_002035.jpg

20190601_002205.jpg

20190601_002228.jpg

20190601_002240.jpg

20190601_002300.jpg

I'm almost happy with the colours, but that bow wave just looks too prominent to me, the same with the wake.

Thoughts?

Geoff 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Been a busy month has June. But managed to get a very small bit done on the seascape.

As Beefy recommend I gave the sea an oil wash then a dust down with white pastel on the wave crests.

20190630_164528.jpg

I've put some tissue paper around the hull, I'll probably be putting some liquid water on that, along with another oil wash in the next few days.

20190630_164556.jpg

20190630_164616.jpg

Gotta admit I'm pleased with this pic.

20190630_164629.jpg

20190630_203617.jpg

20190630_204146.jpg

Most of the smaller bits have now been primed, just gotta give an a coat of paint and a wash then onto actually stocking some plastic together, oh and the PE...

And the rigging...

Appy modelling all!

Geoff 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Another month goes by and I'm not sure if I've gotten much done on Aurora?

Most of the smaller parts have been pained, enamel washed and are ready to go. Except I missed two full spru's and a couple of the last larger parts...

Must check in the box next time.

20190801-223133.jpg

20190801-223138.jpg

20190801-223142.jpg

I've managed to break a couple of the supports for the raised decks just aft of the second funnel. Will have to drill out and insert either brass rod or plastic, depending on size match.

20190801-223209.jpg

20190801_223605.jpg

20190801_223617.jpg

I'm not sure how much I'm going to get done on her in the next few weeks/months. I've signed up for the Year you were born GB to kick start me into building some more.

I don't know of that will mean I get more, or less time on other projects?

Ach well, we'll see shall we. Ain't too bad doing a 1/700 '82 Exeter if so.

Appy modelling all. 

Geoff 

• Like 5

Looking really nice Geoff.  Now I'm no expert on painting seascapes (as you can see from some of my posts on here when I've been through the same dilemma that you've been having) and I really like what you've achieved here, but if I may make one small observation based on 32 years in the Royal Navy including an awful lot of sea time, the bow wave doesn't seem to match the wake.  That's quite a prominent (and very well done) bow wave and coupled with the white foam along the side of the hull I'd estimate the ship to be doing at least 18-20 knots.  Yet the wake looks more like a gentle 6-8 knots.  You may wish to consider to making the wake a little more "angry" to match the bow.

I'm not trying to be critical as this is better than most of my efforts and I hope its not taken in that way but just trying to offer a bit of 1/1 experience on what these things look like for real.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

That's quite a prominent (and very well done) bow wave and coupled with the white foam along the side of the hull I'd estimate the ship to be doing at least 18-20 knots.  Yet the wake looks more like a gentle 6-8 knots.  You may wish to consider to making the wake a little more "angry" to match the bow.

Hi Chewie, no offence taken at all! I've not finished the bow wave yet, it's going to be a bit more sedate, it's just toilet roll with the hull forced into it at the moment. 

It'll be getting a drenching of liquid water to tone it down at some point, possibly tonight. Then we'll see what can be done.

6-8 knots you recon, may up that a bit then, bit more wake could be on offering. Would normal cruising speed be about 15 knots?

On a different note, you didn't serve on type 42 in your years did you Chewbacca? Building Exeter down in the Year you were born GB and I'm looking for any knowledge on her.

8 hours ago, Michael M said:

Try using cotton for the foam next time ;) 

That's the plan, if I remember where the cotton's been put by SWMBO....

Cheers gents

Geoff