CR90 Blockade Runner 'Liberator'

46265945235_c7d9b2ea07_b.jpg

This is Bandai's new 1/1000 Blockade Runner from their Vehicle Model range. The kit's intended to represent the Tantive IV, the first ship to appear on screen in A New Hope, but I've finished mine as the Liberator, which was the command ship of Phoenix Squadron in the Star Wars Rebels animated show.

The kit is well up to Bandai's usual standards, with tons of tiny detail that you'd think would be impossible to mould on a model as small as this. The only downside (apart from wanting the kit to be bigger) is the inclusion of stickers for the markings, meaning you'll either need to paint them on like here, or source some after-market decals.

You can find the full build here

47180131141_36f8e1aa86_b.jpg

47180129631_eee5b3ea0d_b.jpg

47180136841_fd8d231d2d_b.jpg

47180135761_a43a4690f1_b.jpg

47180134401_6a2dd06b7d_b.jpg

47180133461_cdac389105_b.jpg

47180132851_e6f1fed605_b.jpg

47180132051_3c3ac9576b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

I love your work. This is no exception. The pictures don’t tell, how tiny it is.

When I got my cr90 and I saw the parts in pure plastic on the sprue I was a little bit disappointed. The details looked only like very tiny random lines to me. But done right it looks amazing. Now I am looking forward building it.

Edited by Gemini 8
  • Like 1

Lovely as always Andy.

6 hours ago, Portaler said:

Looks great Andy. Totally agree with wishing for a bigger version. Hopefully we get something new from Bandai (Star Wars range) this year.

If you don't mind parting with £275 JPG Productions do a 1/350 Blockade Runner resin kit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

looks really great - I wish the kit had been around in the later 70's early 1980's when I first went SW mad. Shame its a tiddler - something like the blockade runner needs to be a bigger yummy size. Randy Cooper makes a fine resin kit of the blockade runner but it is big bucks.

You have certainly done a great paint job on this kit of yours

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmonk said:

If you don't mind parting with £275 JPG Productions do a 1/350 Blockade Runner resin kit!

Sadly it's a bit out of my price range, but I'm hoping Bandai might upscale this one at some point in the future. They're doing it with the Star Destroyer so I guess there's an even chance it might happen with the Tantive.

1/350 would be perfect as it would be big enough without being crazily big and expensive, and it would scale with the little VM Falcon too.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Mine's still in primer :blush:

I'm looking forward to seeing how those decals perform. I think, when I get another one to do as the Tantive, I'll go down the decal route if they work well.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:57 PM, Madmonk said:

Lovely as always Andy.

Nah, I'm waiting (praying) for a 1/72 Slave 1 to almost round out the 1/72 range of ships.

• Like 1

Lovely stuff, I wasn't sure initially about the grey engines but with the fins/strakes/fairings it all makes sense. The moodily-lit comp is awesome too.

ISTR you mentioned you were using acrylic washes in the WIP - is that premixed ones, or something else? What're the advantages compared to enamels?

Thanks,

Will

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Will Vale said:

ISTR you mentioned you were using acrylic washes in the WIP - is that premixed ones, or something else? What're the advantages compared to enamels?

The washes were done with regular Vallejo acrylic paint thinned with glaze medium, something I've taken to doing more and more. The effects are nice and subtle and they don't have the harsh graininess you sometimes get with enamel washes.

• 2 months later...
On 08/03/2019 at 19:46, AndyRM101 said:

The washes were done with regular Vallejo acrylic paint thinned with glaze medium, something I've taken to doing more and more. The effects are nice and subtle and they don't have the harsh graininess you sometimes get with enamel washes. 

Hi.

Great work, as always.
And, as always, if you do not place a reference object near anyone would think about its actual size. ¡¡¡Amazing!!!

Please, could you explain carefully what you mention of the glazes made with Vallejo paint and its Glaze Medium?

Thanks.

Cheers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Please, could you explain carefully what you mention of the glazes made with Vallejo paint and its Glaze Medium?

Thanks.

I use Vallejo glaze medium, which comes in the same bottles as their paint. You add a drop or two of the medium to the paint you want to use for a wash and mix it in. 

Adding it results in the paint becoming more translucent, and also has the effect of extending the drying time. The more medium you add to the paint, the more transparent it becomes.

You can then use the paint as a regular wash, or as a glaze to tint underlying colours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyRM101 said:

I use Vallejo glaze medium, which comes in the same bottles as their paint. You add a drop or two of the medium to the paint you want to use for a wash and mix it in. 

Adding it results in the paint becoming more translucent, and also has the effect of extending the drying time. The more medium you add to the paint, the more transparent it becomes.

You can then use the paint as a regular wash, or as a glaze to tint underlying colours.

Thank you. Possibly try to use it.

Andrés.

• Like 1

It's a nice little technique. The increased drying time makes it easier to apply the wash on larger surfaces before the wash starts drying and makes it easier to wipe off excess wash with a slightly wet cloth or Q-Tip. It also improves the flow of the wash and reduces the typical water marks from acrylic washes.

• Like 1